Jamaican Peanut PorridgePublished Oct 25, 2010
Jamaican Peanut porridge is a delicious breakfast treat. It is a favorite of vegetarians because it is high in protein. Before it became “main stream” dish it was categorized as “street food”, as it was mainly served by street food vendors in Jamaica. It is now enjoyed by Jamaican tourists and locals alike.
- 1 cup raw peanut
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- 1 tbsp Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- Water as needed (approximately 2 cups)
- Place the peanuts in a blender and process until it is almost smooth.
- Remove the peanuts and place in a container.
- Place 1 cup of water in a pot to boil and add ½ tsp of salt.
- Place the oatmeal in a blender and process until it becomes power.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, peanut, oatmeal in a container.
- Slow pour water in the container and mix the ingredients to make a liquid paste.
- Pour the liquid paste into the boiling water.
- Stir until evenly mixed. (Do not let the flour get lumpy)
- Cover and cook on medium setting. To prevent the porridge from boiling over, lift the cover and allow steam to escape.
- After 12 minutes turn the setting to low then add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, sweeten condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and allow the porridge to slightly cool before serving.
5 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
This Jamaican Peanut Porridge sounds sooo good! I LOVE reading the recipes on here, in fact I'm enjoying the whole site. I'm in USA, Texas.