Hominy Corn PorridgePublished Mar 26, 2005
- 1 Cup Hominy Corn
- 2 cups Coconut milk (Skim milk can substitute)
- 3-5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons water
- ½ tsp. salt
- Brown sugar to taste
- ½ cup Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg to taste
- vanilla - optional
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Put the Hominy corn in a slow cooker and fill with 3-5 cups water and leave for 5-6 hours (or Overnight). Be sure the Hominy corn is completely submerged and there is enough water to leave it overnight. Add a teaspoon of salt to taste (optional). If you do not have a slow cooker use a pressure cooker. Cook for ½ hour (or longer) in the pressure cooker until corn is tender.
- Once the hominy corn is cooked drain the water and set aside.
- Pour coconut milk in a large pot.
- Pour the Hominy corn into the large pot with the coconut milk. Continue to cook on a medium burner for 2-4 minutes.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of flour and 6 tablespoons of water together to make a paste.
- Pour the flour and water paste in to the pot and mix
- Add the condensed milk
- Add sugar to taste
- Add vanilla to taste (Optional)
- Stirring constantly to prevent lumping.
- Sprinkle nutmeg to taste
- Continue cooking and let it simmer over low heat for 2-4 minutes.
7 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
I have not had hominy since I left Jamaica in 1968. So when I saw the' peeled corn' in a Latino store I thought it must be the same. Was I wrong in thinking the hominy corn in Ja. did not have the portion of the kernel that attaches it ot the cob?
I couldnt remember if coconut milk was added to maker hominy corn porridge. I'm so greatful that i was able to google this recipe..Thank you so very much..I made the porridge and it taste just like my granny used to make it..MMMM!!!!!
i have been wanting hominy for the longest time now i was so happy to find it here. i'm going to try it this morning. thank you so much. :D
Now I can finally cook hominy porridge like my grandmother, well at least try to.I always wanted the hominy porridge every time I come to jamaica. I can eat that for breakfast, lunch & dinne, and never get tired of eating it. I am so excited to find the recipe.
I absolutely love this meal, always had crave for it. Saw a Jamaican woman in the store purchasing it. She gave me an idea of how to prepare it. When I got home I totally forget the steps. I researched this recipe and will have it for dinner with my children tonight. Steps are easy and straight forward. Thank you for making my night.
I have been bombarded by my nephew to make him this porridge but of course I was not sure how, so I finally decided to Google it and here it is! Great, I am putting my corns to soak overnight and I sure it will turn out great with this recipe, Thanks a lot.
i made hominy corn porridge for bfast today, my daughter said she preferred cornmeal porridge. Anyhow, i'm glad i found the recipe. I enjoyed it.