Coconut DropsPublished Mar 14, 2004
- 1 medium dried coconut (it must be a dried coconut )
- 5 tablespoons minced or shredded ginger
- 3 cups dark unprocessed sugar.
- 1 cup Water
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Use a sharp point to puncture the three eyes of the coconut and drain the water
- Break the coconut using a hammer and remove the hard outer shell.
- Using a small knife dice the coconut flesh into ½ x ¼ inch cubes.
- Combine the diced coconuts cubes and ginger
- Place in a deep pot with the sugar and water.
- Put stove on high and boil
- Boil until water gone and the sugar is like carmel and sticky.
- Place a sheet of greased paper (can also use moistened foil paper) on a flat surface (kitchen counter) close by. (In Jamaica some use Banana leaves instead of greased paper)
- Stir the mixture in the pot with a large spoon to be sure it does not stick to the bottom.
- Use the spoon to scoop out mixture to create 1-1/4-inch wide mounds on the greased paper.
- Each 1-1/4-inch wide mound should be placed in a separate heap on the greased paper.
- Let the drops cool and harden. Serve