Cornmeal PuddingPublished Sep 24, 2006
- 3cups golden cornmeal
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 5 cups thick coconut milk
- ½ tsp. mixed spice
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup of the shredded coconut
- Sift together flour and cornmeal.
- Blend together sugar, salt, nutmeg, mixed spice and coconut milk.
- Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring until there are no lumps.
- Pour into a greased pan.
- Coat raisins with a little flour and sprinkle into mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
- Dot generously with butter or margarine.
- Bake in a moderately-hot oven 350F for ¼ hour or until set.
- Combine and pour custard mixture (see recipe below) on top of pudding.
- Bake for a further ½ to ¾ hour or until set.
- Cool and serve.
½ cup strong coconut milk
4 heaped tbsps granulated sugar
- Combine all ingredients and use as directed above
11 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
This recipe is just so scrumptious. Never thought I could have that sweet, soft and jellied top old fashion cornmeal pudding that I'd use to as a child. Thanks really enjoyed it.
As a Jamaican woman who moved to the US as a teenager alot of old recipes are missing from my collection. I have introduced my children to the island culture and was pleased to be able to find recipes I have been needing like my favorite Cornmeal pudding. Keep up the good work. Thanks!
oh boy those were the days, my mother grated the coconut, so expertly, set the fire with coal on the bottom and some on the top of a duchey surrounded by rock stones, sat round the fire mouth watering.......delicious. thank you for those memories
this is one of the best cornmeal pudding recipes. I'd forgotten exactly how to make it, but his recipe brought it all back to me, thanks
tried this method before, and am doing again with a twist of shredded potatoe in the mixture taste really nice, me and my family love it!!