Jamaican Meat LoafPublished Jan 21, 2013
Jamaican Meat Loaf is described by some as the “little brother” to the Jamaican beef patty, even though it is bigger in size. Some say this because it’s simply a cocoa bread with the filling from a patty. If you love Jamaican beef patties you will love the Jamaican Meat Loaf. The recipe is broken town in to 3 parts: The filling, the dough, combining the dough & filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEEF FILLING:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- ½ teaspoon Accent
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 ozs escallion
- 2 small hot peppers
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- half a loaf french bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Grind escallion and hot peppers in a mincing mill.
- Add to ground beef with salt.
- Place meat in a saucepan making a well in the center into which place 4 sprigs of thyme.
- Cook without adding any water or fat until meat has lost its broth and only certain amount of oil remains.
- Pour off excess oil and add this to the paprika to be used later on, strained for coloring meat.
- While meat is being cooked, pour sufficient cold water over bread in a saucepan to cover and soak for a few minutes, then squeeze dry, saving water.
- Pass bread through mincing mill and return the ground bread water with 4 sprigs of thyme and cook until bread is dry.
- Combine meat and cooked bread.
- Add color, paprika in sufficient quantity to color the meat to taste.
- Cook together for a further 20 mins.
- Add Accent . Remove from fire. Cool for filling dough circles.
INGREDIENTS FOR LOAF/DOUGH:
- 2 ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 3 ½ cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Egg Beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix ingredients
- Combing the yeast and warm water.
- Add olive oil to yeast
- Pour the yeast into the container with the flour mixture.
- Mix well
- Put the dough on a flat surface and knead for 10 minutes. Add light flour to the surface if the dough gets too sticky.
- Roll the dough into a big ball and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Place the dough in a large container and cover it with plastic wrap (The container should be twice the size of the dough ball)
- Set the dough aside for an hour to allow it to rise (it will double in size).
METHOD FOR MAKING MEAT LOAF:
- Grease baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 450°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the dough and place on a flat surface (lightly flour the surface)
- Divide the dough into 6 to 8 parts.
- Roll out each part with a rolling pin. Each part should be a circle approximately ¼ inch thick
- Use a rolling pin to roll out each dough part into a circle at least 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a spoon to fill half the circle with the meat filling. Leave enough space along the edge for crimping.
- Brush the inside edge of each dough part with water
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and crimp edges using a fork and brush top with egg and water solution.
- Place on the baking sheet in the oven
- Bake for 18 minutes or until it is puffed up and golden brown
- Service hot