Sweet Potato PonePublished Nov 7, 2011
Many confuse sweet potato pone with sweet potato pudding. Even though they use similar ingredients pone is harder and usually contains no raisins. Many call it a harder version of "hell a top and hell a bottom and heaven in the middle". It is a dessert favorite after Sunday dinner.
- 1 ½ cup pounds sweet potato
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon margarine
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Wash and pare off the skin of the potatoes
- Wash again then grate
- Grate coconut, add water and squeeze juice through a strainer or use canned coconut milk
- Blend flour, mixed spice, salt, and nutmeg.
- Combine this mixture with the grated potatoes and mix well
- Add sugar and coconut milk. Mix well. Taste for sweetness
- Grease pan, pour in batter, bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes or until done.
5 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
I decided that I wanted some fish soup today because it is so cold, and because I have never fixed it before (yes I am Jamaican), it was great to find your website and find this wonderful potato pone recipie as an additional perk. Thanks for taking the time to do this site.
Thank you I am a Jamican also and love this site so much, each lunch time at work I am on it, now I am looking for recipes and ideas for my birthday dinner.
Tried this recipe. Turned out great. I used a little bit more liquid and I also used about 3 table spoons of the grated coconut and replaced half a cup of flour with cornmeal. Thanx
I'm no chef, but thanks to the simple recipes of this site it makes cooking easy and tasty. Thanks for the recipe on dumplings which I thought I would need yeast for also didn't use corn meal.