Jamaican Jerk Turkey RecipePublished Nov 19, 2012
Are you ready to try something non-traditional at Thanksgiving or Christmas? How about Jamaican Jerk Turkey for the holiday? Forget the traditional turkey this holiday and try our delicious Jamaican Jerk Turkey recipe.
- A turkey 12-14 pound
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cups Jerk Seasoning/Sauce. See our Jerk Seasoning/Sauce recipe here. If you buy the seasoning we recommend JCS Jerk Seasoning/Sauce
- Turkey Injector
- Reynold's Oven Turkey Bags (optional)
- Roasting Pan
- Pimento wood or Alder wood chips (optional)
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Wash the turkey with the vinegar (be sure to remove the giblets and neck that are usually stuffed in the turkey)
- Use a paper towel to pat down the outside of the turkey.
- Pat the outside of the turkey down with paper towels.
- Use the microwave to melt the butter.
- Take 5 tablespoons of the Jerk Seasoning/Sauce and mix with the butter and olive oil. If it is too thick use a food processor to liquefy
- Fill your turkey injector with the mixture
- Inject the turkey with the mixture. Inject each leg and then a shot on each side of the breast.
- Rub the remaining Jerk Seasoning/Sauce on the outside and inside of the turkey. Rub under the turkey skin and in every cavity.
- Leave the turkey covered at room temperature for 3-4 hours. This will allow the seasoning to marinate into the meat. Put in the refrigerator to marinate overnight. Please note that putting it in the freezer will not allow the seasoning to penetrate into the meat.
- We will start first by smoking the turkey on a coal barbeque grill (must have a cover) or a smoker grill. A gas grill can be used but the flavor will not be the same. The fire must be very low. The coal must be white. If you have pimento wood available use it with the coal. Alder wood chips is also a good substitute.
- Put the turkey on the barbeque grill and cover it. Let the smoke soak in the flavor. Leave it on the grill for 2 hours turning it so each side gets "smoke" from the coal.
- Read the direction on the Oven Turkey bag. Using a oven bag will reduce the cooking time of the turkey. If you do not have a Oven Turkey bag set the oven to 325 degrees and cook the turkey for 3 hours. As the turkey cooks, baste frequently, using the mixture that was injected into the legs and the breast.
- Place the turkey in the Oven turkey bags. Many Oven turkey bags require cuts be made in the bag. Place the turkey in the Oven turkey bagsin your roasting pan.
- Place the turkey in the oven and bake according to the instruction on the oven turkey bag regarding the time and temperature.
- When the turkey is cooked remove the oven bag. Leave the juices in the roasting pan as it will make a great gravy
- Stuff the turkey to your liking and then put back in the oven at a low temperature to keep it warm.
- Remove the turkey 20 minutes before carving.