Jamaican Oxtails StewPublished Mar 14, 2004
- 1 oxtail about 2-2.5 lb. Cut up
- 4 tblsp. cornflour
- 2 tblsp. cooking oil
- Salt and Black pepper
- 4 rashers (slices) Bacon (Sugar cured, rindless)
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 4 carrots pared and sliced
- 1 cup peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint (16 fl. Oz) hot water
- 2 stalks green onions finely sliced
- 1 spring thyme
- 1 can butter beans (Lima beans)
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Trim away excess fat and place oxtail in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes to blanch.
- Drain well on absorbent paper and coat with cornflour.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown oxtail on both sides removing when brown.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Dice bacon and fry for a few minutes.
- Return oxtail to pot with bacon, add carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes and hot water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3.5 to 4 hours or until oxtail is almost tender.
- At this stage add more liquid if necessary and season.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the butter beans and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serving for 4.
7 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
Instead of simmering on stove for 3.5 - 4 hours, let oxtails cook for about 30 minutes on the stove, then put in a pyrex dish with a tight cover, pour gravy over it, put on lid and bake in oven for 2 hours at 350 degrees. Check after an hour to make sure gravy doesn't dry up (add water if necessary). Just as tender, flavourful and cooks in alot less time.
I made the curry goat, and it was good know i will be making the oxtails ,i am trouble try to find bacon (sugar cured,rindless)
Delicious! I love this recipe. I pressure cook it instead. It takes 75 min initially, then another 20-25 min after you put the lima beans in.
I am so glad to find this site. I am a big fan of Jamaican food, but because I am here in Louisiana it is hard to find certain spices. I am in the middle of cooking oxtails. Peace be with you all
that oxtail gonna dun ma gas, better i use coal.. or hood fya...3-4hrs nooo sah pressure cookah mi seh