Ackee and SaltfishPublished Mar 14, 2004
- 1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
- 1 dozen ackees
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sprig tyme
- 1 crushed garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 slices hot scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 small red sweet pepper
- cooking oil
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Soak saltfish in water to remove some of the salt or boil in water for 5-7 minutes.
- Clean the ackee. Remove the seeds and all traces of interior red pit from the ackees.
- Wash ackees five times
- Cover and boil until moderately soft.
- Drain, cover, and put aside.
- Pick up (flake) the saltfish and remove all bones.
- Sauté thinly sliced onions and sweet pepper rings.
- Remove half of the fried onions and peppers
- Add saltfish and the ackees, and turn the fire/stove up slightly.
- Add black pepper
- Pour in to serving plate and garnish with remaining onions and pepper slices
- Serve with boil banana and/or fried dumplings
4 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
Dear Sir/Madam, I have a brother who migrated to Australia, two and a half years ago. He recently had a gigantic stroke, that at one point we thought we were going to lose him. Due to a lot of Prayers from loved ones, both Family & Friends from all over the world, he has miraculousely come around and is on the road to recovery. One of the very first things he asked for upon him regaining conscousness was ACKEE & SALTFISH.
I am trying to locate a suitable Picture or Poster of a prepared plate of the same, with perhaps a accompanyment of Johnny Cakes and/or Boiled Green Banana.
Please assist me if you can so I can send it to him to be displayed in his hospital room.
I look forward to your favorable reply.
Regards, Chris Barrell
For someone that has never cooked a day in my life, I tried this recipe word for word and it was a complete success. I love this website.
ACKEE N SALTFISH IS THE BST JAMAICAN FOOD I EVER TASTED BECAUSE ITS SPICY 2 MI... I LOVE THIS FOOD THAT IM BUYIN IT IN THE MORNIN BE4 SCHOOL... EVRII1 SHOULD TRY THIS NATIONAL DISH BECAUSE ITS AMAZIN LIK WOOOW... I LOVE THIS FOOD N ALWAYZ WILLL... ENJOY THIS FOOD N HAVE A BLESS NITE