Jamaican Callaloo PattyPublished Feb 24, 2007
- 1 lb. callaloo
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 medium chopped onion
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet hot pepper (for spice version)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- Wash callaloo leaves
- Cut up callaloo leaves in pieces.
- Sauté chopped onion, pepper & garlic in margarine (Add scotch bonnet for spicy version)
- Add cut up callaloo leaves, water, oil and stir.
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Cover saucepan and cook callalloo for 7 mins. Do not overcook.
- When cool use as fill for patty pastry
- 11 ozs suet (beef fat or shortening)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup iced water
- Trim all skin and fatty membrane from suet and set overnight in freezer.
- Next day, with a very sharp knife shave suet as finely as possible.
- Combine salt and flour, then work in suet as you would shortening in plain pastry, cutting it in with two knives.
- Add iced water in sufficient amount to have a dough which can be rolled out.
- Form into a ball and with a rolling pin, pat gently, turning the dough over once or twice in order to have it all properly held together.
- Set overnight wrapped in wax paper in freezer.
- Next day, pull off enough dough (after defrosting) to roll into a circle the size of a breakfast saucer.
- Dip dough in flour before rolling.
- Roll quite thin and cut in a circle. (use saucer for help)
- In the center of each circle place a spoonful of callaloo filling, fold dough over to form a crescent shape seal edges with egg white or by crimping the edge and folding dough slightly under.
- Do not prick the pastry.
- Bake on ungreased tin sheet in a hot oven for about 35 mins.
- This recipe will make about 3 dozen regular patties. if cocktail patties are needed, use a smaller cutter than a saucer.
- Serving 3 dozen regular size patties. Try different fillings for experiment.
2 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
its a great reipie but me cant find de beef patty and wen me make the callolu patty as u told me to i turn out chakka chakka