Ital Stew Peas (Veggie Stew Peas)Published Jun 30, 2009
Ital Stew Peas is sometimes called Veggie Stew Peas or Vegetarian Stew Peas
- 2 cups red peas (kidney beans)
- 2 whole scotch bonnet peppers (if you like it hot cut the pepper up)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- bay leaves
- 10 pimento grains (allspice)
- cloves garlic (1 crushed and 3 whole)
- 3 chopped scallions
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon natural sea salt (sold in stores)
- 2 potatoes (Irish), cubed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Veggie spinners/dumplings (See Recipe Below)
- Soak the peas in water for a least 10-12 hours in the pot
- Place coconut milk, bay leaves, scallion, pimento grain, whole garlic and whole pepper in the pot.
- Slowly boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the peas are tender.
- Season by adding the onions, crushed garlic and thyme.
- Add carrots, spinners and potatoes
- Let simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the scallions, bay leaves and hot pepper before serving.
- Serve hot with white rice.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Enough water to bind
- Place flour in a medium bowl.
- Work mixture with hands while adding enough water to bind, making a stiff dough.
- Roll into 1 inch long pieces, drop into boiling stew peas or soup.
- Boil until they float or add them during the last 20mins of the cooking process. Enjoy
4 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
this is a really heplful site.I was going nuts for some recipes like the ones available on your page.thanks in a million.
Excellent sounding recipe this. I have just been on a Caribbean cruise, and visiting Ocho Rios, I asked to be taken to a vegetarian cafe for breakfast. Michael our taxi driver took us to a place called Healthy living or something, and I discovered the joys of the unripe banana for the first time ever. I realise now that Jamaica is great for vegetarians and vegans alike, as well as for omnivores of course. Now seeking out many Jamaican and Caribbean recipes like this, and promoting them to friends. Great :)
i just discovered this site and thank goodness i did. there is nothing like these good old jamaican receipes.thank you