People Know You Are Jamaican If...Published Apr 30, 2004
People know you are Jamaican if ..........
- You can distinguish between "cocoa-tea" "bush-tea" and"green-tea".
- When someone sympathizes with you, you comment "Yuh tink seh it easy?"
- You point with your lips.
- You can't say "three" or "thing" ... you say "tree" and "ting".
- You say words like Heg (instead of Egg); Hingland (instead of England).
- You give directions with your hands, even if it is in another state.
- You go to parties for the food and drink and then cuss afterwards when the food and drink run out.
- You nod your head upwards to greet someone.
- You always find yourself standing next to plenty of luggage and boxes at the airport.
- When you travel home, you bring an extra suitcase going down, it has none of your clothes; returning, it has food.
- You also point to other people picking their nose.
- You hate to throw away empty containers as they might come in handy for pepper sauce or "green seasonings".
- You have one big pot you call curry pot when you are not even cooking curry.
- You have another pot you called dutch pot.
- You say "boy" at the beginning of a sentence and "man" at the end of it.
- You always hang something on your rearview mirror.
- You put pepper sauce on everything for the taste.
- You think eating ackee and saltfish, plaintain and fried dumplings is a great morning breakfast.
- You can't go a week without a rice dish.
- You think steak is a waste of good meat; you would rather cut it up and stew it with potatoes.
- You chew and suck out all the marrow from the chicken bone and then pick out your teeth afterwards.
- You save all juices from the cooked meats/chicken to use for flavour for your next dish.
- You wash and rinse plastic utensils and cups that can be used again.
- You bring home food from a party (enough for your breakfast the next morning, your lunch and your dinner!)
- You chew the ice when you finish your drinks.
- You must put dumplings in all soups.
- You show disapproval by sucking your teeth.
- You have a dishwasher in the house and only use it for special occasions.
- At Christmas, you have to have "black cake".
- You have a thyme (or mint) bush growing somewhere in your yard.