PDA

View Full Version : Govt spending $105m US to prepare for the world

niceniss
04-21-2006, 11:27 AM
cup? can Jamaican taxpayer afford this?

me tell unnoo bout dem effry yah wid jamaican ppl?! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

RichD
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
whey dem a get di money from?

RichD
04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Jampro contradicts finance minister
US$700m expected from Cricket World Cup in 5 years
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

THE government's promotions arm, Jampro, says Jamaica is expected to pull in US$700 million in long-term revenues from the hosting of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007, sharply contradicting the bleak picture first painted by Finance Minister Omar Davies

[/ QUOTE ] Jampro story (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20060421T000000-0500_103028_OBS_JAMPRO_CONTRADICTS_FINANCE_MINISTE R.asp)

Tuff Gong
04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

THE government's promotions arm, Jampro, says Jamaica is expected to pull in US$700 million in long-term revenues from the hosting of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007, sharply contradicting the bleak picture first painted by Finance Minister Omar Davies

[/ QUOTE ] Jampro story (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20060421T000000-0500_103028_OBS_JAMPRO_CONTRADICTS_FINANCE_MINISTE R.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean JAMPRO Spin. Did you hear Ms. Pat Francis explaining what the MOF could not tell us.

RichD
04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean JAMPRO Spin. Did you hear Ms. Pat Francis explaining what the MOF could not tell us.

[/ QUOTE ]

so which one sound more reasonable to you?

Tuff Gong
04-21-2006, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so which one sound more reasonable to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the tapes on one the Finance Minister sounds...well clueless.
On the Pat Francis interview there was so much traveling to take advantage of this that is will cost another US$100Mil in the short term to reap one cent benefit from the first US105Mil.

Beside the Prime Minister the Constitution of Jamaica provides for only one other position in the Cabinet and that is the Finance Minister. Take this from me if the Minister of Finance in the GOJ did not know the details of this deal save and except the expected US$9Mil from the ticket sales, then Mrs. Pat Francis is talking nonsense.

niceniss
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

[/ QUOTE ]

and you beleive it? me hear say di finance minister was so embarrassed when di figure was exposed.

RichD
04-21-2006, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

[/ QUOTE ]

and you beleive it? me hear say di finance minister was so embarrassed when di figure was exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that thwe actual gain to be ralized by the govt coffers in more than the 9M davies mentioned for ticket reciepts.

niceniss
04-21-2006, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i believe that thwe actual gain to be ralized by the govt coffers in more than the 9M davies mentioned for ticket reciepts.

[/ QUOTE ]
9M what? J'can or US? in any event, how is that a profit? spend 105 m and to get 9m?

RichD
04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9M what? J'can or US? in any event, how is that a profit? spend 105 m and to get 9m?

[/ QUOTE ]
there is another post talking about expected revenue...Omar quote US$9M

niceniss
04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
so you see what jamaica has in the way of a finance minister? someone who lights a thousand dollar bill to search for a ten dollar coin. /forums/images/graemlins/70392-silly.gif
"dr clueless" is a generous moniker.

RichD
04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you see what jamaica has in the way of a finance minister? someone who lights a thousand dollar bill to search for a ten dollar coin. /forums/images/graemlins/70392-silly.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't charaterize this venture that way.

I dont think the primamry intent of being part of hosting the world cup is profit.

niceniss
04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't charaterize this venture that way.

I dont think the primamry intent of being part of hosting the world cup is profit.

[/ QUOTE ]what's the primary intent if not to make a profit? the countries that host these events go in it for the love of the game? and even if they do, can Jamaica afford to?

evanovitch
04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then this:

[ QUOTE ]
Observer Reporter
Friday, April 21, 2006

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clarify which govament coffers ....di collective as in tax payes orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif...i know, i continue to be jaded /forums/images/graemlins/70361-embarassed.gif

while i am at it. wat r the longterms plans for maintaining these facilities....or will i read down the road that an outside interest has been granted the franchise and along the lines of Nike etc, their interest is to establish the feeder farm of the ever expanding J'can athletes in their ever expanding athletic diversity...

mi know...still jaded /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RichD
04-21-2006, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can Jamaica afford to?

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like it.

niceniss
04-21-2006, 02:08 PM
as the saying goes; without vision the people perish...

now is it any wonder the Jamaican economy is in the shape that its in when a such an incompetent and thoughtless person is at the helm?
he should be trying to secure a profit to help the country, not to be squandering the already badly managed taxpayers' funds?

RichD
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
sabina park wil continue to be maitained..i suspect that the greenfield stadium wil soon be neglected

i dont begrudge any spending on road imporvements since all ciizens will benefit.

evanovitch
04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
none of us begrudge any crumbs dat happen to benefit the majority...and even then, i worry re the impact of the excalating oil situation on Ja....there is no oil shortage,juss a fight of political wills right now, and if North America has to increase their buying from North American sources u can imagine how we will be priced out of the oil game as profits will out each and every time....humanitarianism and shoving it to the US ala Venzuela will not stand up to the massive possible profits to be gained from the jockeying for available supply...the possibilities of how all this will play out r many and i am jaded enuff to expek the worse case scenario

good road naw mean a ting if u bak to donkey an cart not to mention dat average man gwine to be last in line behind JUTA, etc etc wen supply being divided out

RichD
04-21-2006, 03:22 PM
remeber Chavez suposed ot be protecting di small man /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and our friends the trinis nah go let us down /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

niceniss
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i dont begrudge any spending on road imporvements since all ciizens will benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]
a little frivolous the spending of US$105m on a few roads, dont you find? especially given the dire need of funding that the public schools and hospitals need. no?

evanovitch
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
remeber Chavez suposed ot be protecting di small man /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and our friends the trinis nah go let us down /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so u agree seh we will be bet di proverbial rock an di hard place /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif
but come to tink of it, position is everyting an maybe we will come into play as the refueling point fi di strikes into South America...we have a history for being geographically welllll located /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

is dangerous wen u haffi tek serious ting mek laff fi get likkle relief

seriously doah RichD how precarious r we in all the ways that spell trouble for us..use simple language and spell out the economic plight we could find ourselves unda ..fi real...cause if interest rates killing america right now an we paying awf loans dat made up couple budgets well, how dire is our dire situation

RichD
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
a little frivolous the spending of US$105m on a few roads, dont you find? especially given the dire need of funding that the public schools and hospitals need. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

back t the first question..whey di money did come from?

niceniss
04-21-2006, 03:47 PM
as far as I heard from radio discussions, tax money. do you have information that says otherwise?

RichD
04-21-2006, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as far as I heard from radio discussions, tax money. do you have information that says otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

wmi di hear sey di money for the stadium came from di chinese

niceniss
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
keith desmond knight tell a journalist yestoday dat di chinese govt give di funds fi help build the stadium specifically fi him constituency.(anything wrong wit dat picture so far in ur mind? /forums/images/graemlins/70456-eyebrows.gif ) but nothing is said that the US$105m came from the chinese.

evanovitch
04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wmi di hear sey di money for the stadium came from di chinese

[/ QUOTE ]

and so it begins...now dem giving free housing in China di di govament open embassy

boxing di Mayor of Kingston and shutting out couple construction workers is but di preview of tings to come

Lou Dobbs seem to be trying to lead some sort of backlash or revolt against the increasing balance of trade surplus that CHina has re the US

memba whe Cuba was to the USSR wen cole war did deh bout wid USSR and USA

welll we is in prime location fi dis new one dat is looming bet di US an China

mi a tun fortune teller an mi a see dis eena mi greenhousemissionpolluted crystal ball /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RichD
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
keith desmond knight tell a journalist yestoday dat di chinese govt give di funds fi help build the stadium specifically fi him constituency.(anything wrong wit dat picture so far in ur mind? /forums/images/graemlins/70456-eyebrows.gif ) but nothing is said that the US$105m came from the chinese.

[/ QUOTE ]

not the whole of di money...30 0r 35 fi di stadium come from dem.

dat aside...so if dem go out an borrow di $105 and dem fell dem can generate cash flow from it to at least carry di loan nutin nuh wrong wid dat?

niceniss
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
aparently there is no impropriety in situations where foreign govts can get so intimately involved in local govt affairs of jamaica... bout a chinese gi dem money and pay dem embassy bills a china. dem a whasso? panhandlers of di worl'? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

niceniss
04-21-2006, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not the whole of di money...30 0r 35 fi di stadium come from dem.

dat aside...so if dem go out an borrow di $105 and dem fell dem can generate cash flow from it to at least carry di loan nutin nuh wrong wid dat?

[/ QUOTE ]
we noh just establish dat a ongle 9M dem claim will flow from it? do the maths an tell me if u as a business man would mek such a venture? /forums/images/graemlins/70456-eyebrows.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RichD
04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aparently there is no impropriety in situations where foreign govts can get so intimately involved in local govt affairs of jamaica... bout a chinese gi dem money and pay dem embassy bills a china. dem a whasso? panhandlers of di worl'? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so wi so haughty dat wi can turn down dis generosity. Everybody know sey demhaffi gi sumtin back but a so world runins go..an i dont think its such a bad move to align with them.

niceniss
04-21-2006, 04:25 PM
u missing the point... read again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RichD
04-21-2006, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
u missing the point... read again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

jus tell mi what mi miss /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

niceniss
04-21-2006, 04:42 PM
kd claim say di money was given to his constituency by the chinese govt. does kd as a minister represent his constituency when he seeks funding from foreign governments, or does he rep jamaica? so when elections come roun di chinese might fund him pon him election campaign as well(if dem getting into local govt affairs, why not /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)?

Tuff Gong
04-21-2006, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the MOF of the GOJ says that he expects US$9.Mil, but you are telling us that you know we will get more. Okay we believe you, how much more?

You know the same argument was made about the Highway 2000 project. The same argument was made for the Toll Roads.
The same argument was made for Scandals Whitehouse.
The same argument was made for the Intec Fund.
The same argument was made High Interests Rate policy.
The same argument was made for the Education Fund.
The same argument was made for the Chase Fund.
The same argument was made for the over one dozen crime plans.
The same argument was made for Ja$9Mil football.
The same argument was made for the Riverton Landfill
The same argument was made for the Cement Company.
The same argument was made for the Public Service.
The same argument was made for all those so-called Executive Agencies.

When are Jamaicans going to stop swallowing pie in the sky schemes and Anancy stories?

RichD
04-21-2006, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the MOF of the GOJ says that he expects US$9.Mil, but you are telling us that you know we will get more. Okay we believe you, how much more?

[/ QUOTE ] I dont know anything... im just expressing my thoughts.

when events like this are held in other countries they are always expounding on the spinoff benefits aside for direct gate reciepts( and this is proven and accepted in other jurisdictions)..so what are we doing differently why we cannot expect other spin off benefits?

Tuff Gong
04-21-2006, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when events like this are held in other countries they are always expounding on the spinoff benefits aside for direct gate reciepts( and this is proven and accepted in other jurisdictions)..so what are we doing differently why we cannot expect other spin off benefits?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Minister of finance in his own words said he was not impressed with the returns that were made by other jurisdictions including South Africa.
I never said there would not be any residuals I am simply saying the usually glib Dr. Clueless could not be give any other significant returns that would make this justifiable.

Let me say this some of us who at least want to comment on matters dealing with Jamaica should spend some time actually listening and reading the Jamaican news.
DR. Clueless was very clueless when pressed about where this one was going.

RichD
04-21-2006, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Minister of finance in his own words said he was not impressed with the returns that were made by other jurisdictions including South Africa.
I never said there would not be any residuals I am simply saying the usually glib Dr. Clueless could not be give any other significant returns that would make this justifiable.

Let me say this some of us who at least want to comment on matters dealing with Jamaica should spend some time actually listening and reading the Jamaican news.
DR. Clueless was very clueless when pressed about where this one was going.

[/ QUOTE ]

would you expect him to be anything else?

Tuff Gong
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would you expect him to be anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really but to surrender like that no....I could not have expected that from Dr. Clueless.

Fri Apr 21, 2006
Curtains descend on deliberations of Standing Finance Committee

The Parliamentary Opposition came away with high marks as the curtains descended on the deliberations of 2006/2007 Estimates of Expenditure by the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament.
Throughout the three days, Opposition Leader Bruce Golding led his forces from the front as he was present at what's being described as the lengthiest deliberation on a national budget.

The deliberations were vigourous throughout.

Over three long days, including a session which continued all night into the next morning when Jamaicans woke to find the Parliamentarians still battling, the energy of the Opposition never flagged.

Mr. Golding and his team were obviously fired up as they mercilessly pushed one Government Minister after another onto the defensive.

Throughout the three days Opposition members regularly out-numbered Government members in the chamber.

However Government MP's seemed to be lurking in the wings for any eventuality such as a vote on a matter.

Mr. Golding stood out as it was the first time in many years that a Prime Minister or Opposition Leader was actively participating at just about every minute of a Standing Finance Committee meeting.

In contrast, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller failed to show for even a fraction of the deliberations.

Through numerous queries by the Opposition members, the Government Ministers were forced to shed light on some issues that seemed to have been kept under the covers.

It was through the probing of Opposition Spokesman on Finance Audley Shaw and Opposition Leader Bruce Golding which caused Finance Minister Dr. Omar Davies to reveal that Jamaica stands to lose in excess of 90 millions of dollars in the World Cup Cricket venture.

Another all-rounder in the Opposition line-up, veteran Parliamentarian, Karl Samuda had the heads of Government Ministers shifting from one technocrat to another in search of answers.

It was the Golding/Samuda combination that sent the house in a tizzy when it was revealed a 248 million dollar allocation for a sports complex had been unnaturally placed in the Foreign Affairs budget.

Mr. Golding's rigorous cross examination of Industry and Commerce Minister, Phillip Paulwell reopened the debate on the cement crisis.

Labour Minister Derrick Kellier seemed willing to accept information that the Opposition Leader had, on a suspected scam in the Labour Ministry aimed at fleecing unsuspected overseas Hotel Workers.

A challenge from Central St. Catherine MP, the JLP's Olivia Babsy Grange forced Industry and Commerce Minister Phillip Paulwell to promise that long-awaited Copy Right legislation would accompany controversial amendments to the Radio Redifusion Act.

The Estimates of Expenditure is expected to be approved next week before the Finance Minister Dr. Omar Davies opens what is expected to be a riveting 2006/2007 Budget Debate.

Curtains descend on deliberations of Standing Finance Committee (http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/story.php?category=2&story=24263)

RichD
04-23-2006, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

THE ARGUMENTS and counter arguments about the cost to the country of hosting a part of next year's Cricket World Cup tournament reflect a sad lack of appreciation by both the Government and the parliamentary Opposition of the real and potential economic benefits.

The explanation provided by Jampro about the likely benefits has underlined a surprising narrowness of thinking on the issue by both Dr. Omar Davies, the Finance Minister, and Mr. Bruce Golding, the Opposition Leader.

We are amazed that the many hours of discussion on the matter during a meeting of the Standing Finance Committee could have taken on the tenor of a first-form arithmetic class, concentrated on computing the benefits of the event to the economy on the capital cost of the infrastructure, minus how much would be collected in gate receipts for the World Cup matches.

The discussion between Dr. Davies and Mr. Golding appeared to have been based on the untenable contention that there ought to be a profit on the investment by the time the last match is played in Jamaica.

We are in no position to counter the stated cost of the investment and the likely gate receipts, as offered by Dr. Davies. We maintain that the stadium that is being constructed in Trelawny, and the improvements being made to Sabina Park, will not be useless after the tournament, as suggested in Mr. Golding's questions to Dr. Davies, and in the minister's lame and often confused response.

The improved facilities will offer Jamaica an opportunity to exploit a market in sports tourism that has been denied the country, not only by a lack of facilities but by a lack of enterprise by the administrators of the island's tourism.

Several countries in the eastern Caribbean have been benefiting from this, and some with a sports infrastructure that is below the level of that which is being created in Trelawny and at the remodelled Sabina Park.

The attraction of Jamaica to this market will be enhanced by the significant exposure to the leisure and sports tourism market that the island will receive in the months leading up to the tournament, and during the matches.

Dr. Davies' 'Plan B' should not be the dream of further gate receipts for matches that could be transferred from Guyana. It should be a 'Plan A' to monetise, through astute management and marketing, the facilities that are being built.

The arguments about Jamaica's participation in the Cricket World Cup should not be about how much the country will lose. It should be about how the country will make a profit from the event in the longer term through creative thinking and management.

The first month's rental income cannot cover the cost of building a house.

[/ QUOTE ] editorial (http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060423/cleisure/cleisure1.html)

ah sah /forums/images/graemlins/70374-lipsrsealed.gif

evanovitch
04-23-2006, 12:00 PM
u know wat i find absolutely fascinating about the mouthpieces in Ja, they r forever touting the word of mouth advertising that is afforded the island when they spend these copious amounts on tings dat affect ongle a small percentage while dem ignore the patenting of the Jamaican name , the intellectual property tyrie which would reallllllly swell the coffers in a real way

we don't need to spend anymore advertising Ja ...every rap video have a yaad flag eena it an if we r to believe the worldwide circulation of said rap videos, yaad a get advertised...di name dropping of ja in tv shows, movies , comedy acts is plentiful and to top it alll Young and the Restless have a character who wears the colours and name on a piece of clothing he dons frequently

get the gist of wat i am saying

is a reason why mi seeing jerk pizza and Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee packaging in TJ Maxx etc and wen u read di fineprint, the beans r from east africa

dat is weh dem need fi pay attention to rather than getting fren an comboloo to watch cricket widdout paying airfare and hotel fees etc to go abroad..

RichD
04-23-2006, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

dat is weh dem need fi pay attention to rather than getting fren an comboloo to watch cricket widdout paying airfare and hotel fees etc to go abroad..

[/ QUOTE ]

so dat is what this is all about eh /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

evanovitch
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roll u yeye dem all u want but di symbolism of the statement have truth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif....think below the obvious an u wi haffi admit dat di obvious is never the real reason behine dealings a yaad pon a certain level....wat can i say....

RichD
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roll u yeye dem all u want but di symbolism of the statement have truth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif....think below the obvious an u wi haffi admit dat di obvious is never the real reason behine dealings a yaad pon a certain level....wat can i say....

[/ QUOTE ]

i wonda if the same kinda reasoning follow in the other host islands(and Guyana)

Tuff Gong
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Renegotiate the terms of the Cricket World Cup

There is a connection between the lessons of his infamous “run wid it speech” at Meadowbrook and the way Minister of Finance & Planning Dr. Omar Davies responded to questions from the Opposition Jamaica Labour Party about the government’s proposed expenditure on the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007. Dr. Davies clearly does not intend to cover for anyone with fiscal profligacy.

When asked about the projected revenue flows from the Cricket World Cup by the Opposition Spokesman on Foreign Affairs, Karl Samuda, Dr. Davies responded like a true finance minister — in strict accounting terms. The incontestable facts are that there is a projected expenditure of US$105 million and revenue inflows of US$9 million.

The response from the Finance Minister pointed a finger in two directions: the first was to the Office of the Prime Minister, under the stewardship of former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson, who must have been hoodwinked by the elements.

It also pointed at the private sector which, despite the immense opportunity offered by the hosting of the Cricket World Cup, has not put up a single dollar of investment in preparation for the event. The Local Organising Committee is virtually a department of the Ministry of Finance & Planning.

Had the Opposition done its homework more diligently it would have dealt an even more devastating blow to the stewardship of the Government in this matter. The Government has agreed to spend approximately U$40 million to acquire land and refurbish Sabina Park.

The Government does not own Sabina Park; it does not even have a representative on the board of the joint venture company that will own the refurbished Sabina Park. The joint venture is between The Kingston Cricket Club and The Jamaica Cricket Association.

It gets even worst than a straight gift of US$40 million to a small group of individuals. All of the advertising revenue for the billboards that will be displayed inside Sabina Park during the Cricket World Cup matches have been signed away to the International Cricket Council. Not only will a single dollar of revenue not accrue to the Government of Jamaica, but also not a single billboard will display any Jamaican or Caribbean company. Apart from the odd shots outside the park the Cricket World Cup may be taking place in Jakarta or anywhere else for all one cares.

We are demanding that the Ministry of Finance & Planning go beyond Shaggy’s “It Wasn’t Me” and demand a renegotiation of the terms of Jamaica’s hosting of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007. Whether or not that is possible the least that should happen where Sabina Park is concerned is for the Finance Ministry to require that the joint venture company becomes a publicly listed company.

Renegotiate the terms of the Cricket World Cup (http://www.sunheraldjamaica.com/editorial1.htm)

evanovitch
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wonda if the same kinda reasoning follow in the other host islands(and Guyana)

[/ QUOTE ]

who knows...di politician weh get kill ova deh dis weekend might be feeling seh it does.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifguyana mite be in south america but it ha di island mentality said way an di political killings nuff too if not as publicized in N A

evanovitch
04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
is eida mi psychic, brilliant or juss know di thinking process of di yaadies whe mekking di decisions...
lass week mi mek di statement re dat stadium being used by a foreign entity as a sports farm of some sort

dis mawning headline eena di Observor acknowledge dat di thinking behind the said stadium was in fact along those lines

Greenfield stadium to be marketed as international training camp

Greenfield stadium under construction
CRICKET World Cup 2007 and Jampro officials are maintaining that the $2 billion stadium under construction in Trelawny will be a strong money earner in the long run, saying the cricket competition simply provided the opportunity to build a 'first class' sports facility for the western end of Jamaica.

RichD
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is eida mi psychic, brilliant or juss know di thinking process of di yaadies whe mekking di decisions...

[/ QUOTE ]
which you prefer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evanovitch
04-24-2006, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bootilicious /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RichD
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bootilicious /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant and bootilicious /forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif

mangoskin
04-24-2006, 02:00 PM
this is a very negative article that doesnt tell all the story..

at www.cricketworldcup.com (http://www.cricketworldcup.com), they tell of the licensing and merchandizing opportunities available also jobs

[email protected]
tel:1 876 - 929-9011
fax: 929-0871/1178

In fact, Beverley Robotham-Reynolds of Jamaica is the first regional micro enterprise authorized to produce goods for next year's event

She was VERY proactive in that she wrote back in '04 when they were just strategizing. She will be producing cricket dolls and carnival dolls dressed in the 16 teams outfits and distributing them throughout the Caribbean, Canada, UK and US.

She is also building a website.

Tickets for the World Cup events go on sale next week (1st May)

Even though it's not a big cricket nation, the Bahamas attempted to get in as a venue..there is $$ to be made

niceniss
04-25-2006, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The govt's history of corruption and reneged promises dictates that one views the situation with a sence of cynicism instead of lauding their projections.

what's good about applauding promises anyway?

niceniss
04-25-2006, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

at www.cricketworldcup.com (http://www.cricketworldcup.com), they tell of the licensing and merchandizing opportunities available also jobs

[email protected]

In fact, Beverley Robotham-Reynolds of Jamaica is the first regional micro enterprise authorized to produce goods for next year's event

She was VERY proactive in that she wrote back in '04 when they were just strategizing. She will be producing cricket dolls and carnival dolls dressed in the 16 teams outfits and distributing them throughout the Caribbean, Canada, UK and US.

Even though it's not a big cricket nation, the Bahamas attempted to get in as a venue..there is $$ to be made

[/ QUOTE ]

so she has interest in it...

RichD
04-25-2006, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention the other countries who were biding to host.

but it seems dat as long as we involved it must turn to crap.

niceniss
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
notice you ignore me post.
RichD if you ignore the govt's history(an ongoing one too!) of corruption, then they will play you for a fool. again I ask, why applaud their projections when their track record speaks against them? and what's good about spending 105m to recover only 9m? could you do that as a business man?

RichD
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
notice you ignore me post.
RichD if you ignore the govt's history(an ongoing one too!) of corruption, then they will play you for a fool. again I ask, why applaud their projections when their track record speaks against them? and what's good about spending 105m to recover only 9m? could you do that as a business man?

[/ QUOTE ]

if that figure was accurate why so much places would be runiing down these events? so much fool deh bout?

niceniss
04-25-2006, 11:50 AM
noh you supply the figure initially? what? you noh believe what you saying anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

btw; how come you so sure the other places make analogous expenditure and projection? how you know say certain infrastructure noh already in place for other locations? you know bout dem track record? /forums/images/graemlins/70456-eyebrows.gif

RichD
04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
noh you supply the figure initially? what? you noh believe what you saying anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]huh?????

niceniss
04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]huh?????

[/ QUOTE ]
di nine million.

RichD
04-25-2006, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]huh?????

[/ QUOTE ]
di nine million.

[/ QUOTE ]

that figure came from the minister of finance...suggesting that gate reciepts were all they would get form this venture.
to many it seems rediculous and extremely short sighted.

gi yuh an example...you buy a house $200,000 for rent/investment purposed..you finance it over 20 years..then you rent it out for $1000/month
so sombody come an sey yuh a eediat fi spen $200,000 an only a get back $1000...what yuh woulda tell dem?

Gen
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
mi nat even a guh comment /forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif cause a same ting weh nyc wah fi do..build NEW yankee stadium fi baseball..wid foofa tax money /forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif meanwhile the school dem is a disgrace....cyan't believe school a big big new yark look like dis /forums/images/graemlins/70374-lipsrsealed.gif

RichD
04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mi nat even a guh comment /forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif cause a same ting weh nyc wah fi do..build NEW yankee stadium fi baseball..wid foofa tax money /forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif meanwhile the school dem is a disgrace....cyan't believe school a big big new yark look like dis /forums/images/graemlins/70374-lipsrsealed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dis is one of the things that is hard for many to grasp...you can have a strioong economy and nuff people have nuff money ..but the govt is broke...and the peopel still a look to the govt for everything.

Gen
04-25-2006, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dis is one of the things that is hard for many to grasp...you can have a strioong economy and nuff people have nuff money ..but the govt is broke...and the peopel still a look to the govt for everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully the plan for the stadium has strong opposition.. /forums/images/graemlins/70384-praying.gif so mi nuh see it a pass choo fi now...

in the meantime volunteer day a come up suh mi haffi guh paint school and ting....cause govt nah paint it.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RichD
04-25-2006, 12:49 PM
yuh si an wid globaliztion an trade liberlaizatin if any govt mek a sniff bout dem haffi tek more money from those wh have yuh waan si how fass dem run an only those who nuh have nuttin left behind to depend on a govt who have even less.

Tuff Gong
04-25-2006, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yu eva hear a fisherman seh im fish stink?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey my fren di peanut vendor is not and cannot get authorization to create a special bag of peanuts for the cricket world cup. In fact his kids will not even be allowed to go to school when the matches are been played because schools in the vicinity will be closed.

His fren shop that adjoins Sabina Park will have to take down their Signage.... well almost the organizers have relented on that.
He will not be putting up a web site.

RichD
04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
so TG..what is your considered view on WCC2007?...a boondoggle?

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

an one has to wonder how this continues and in light of said brukniss, why the govament continues to involve its money, i.e. the people's money is one-off schemes that never play out....

dat is di problem i find wen i read alllll these reports...how many times muss di man try use a weave baskit fi carry water before him realise seh is a selfdefeating method him a use....

and while we r on the empty coffers, wat about the major corporations, big wiggers, that/who owe mucho taxes but fi some reason collection of said is not a priority...we prioritise acting on every get rich scheme that comes along at their suggestion but never seem to interject in di conversations wid dem, 'whe bout di baktax star?'

mangoskin
04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
the glass always half empty for you..

sorry bout the peanut vendor, mi lub roasted peanut and peanut brittle, peanut punch & ice cream too..
(wonder if he was properly capitalized?)

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hey my fren di peanut vendor is not and cannot get authorization to create a special bag of peanuts for the cricket world cup. In fact his kids will not even be allowed to go to school when the matches are been played because schools in the vicinity will be closed.

His fren shop that adjoins Sabina Park will have to take down their Signage.... well almost the organizers have relented on that.
He will not be putting up a web site.

[/ QUOTE ]

u know TG, this reminds me of the airjam stewardess who tried in vain to get a store at di airport...sort of lateral integration of her job as she got older and wanted to remain in the industry she had helped build...

but being a woman who saved her money and had great work ethics etc etc was not enuff..

at the heart of bizniz in kingston r but a few people....i was amazed myself to discover recently how few indeed wen the name of someone cropped up in the fishing story....that one person's blanket organization seems to have a virtual lockdown on any bizniz enterprise regardless of the parish and the bizniz entity...i have heard about have fingas in pies, but bloody heck man

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

an the flip side is that we have been encouraged to be thankful for the said half that is full...

how long will that veddy argument , both sides, continue to be the rallying cry of the opposing sides

/forums/images/graemlins/70402-thinking.gif

mangoskin
04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
true, certain jobs require a Kgn8 address definately, but some have struck out on their own as entrepreneurs and have made it...

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
true, certain jobs require a Kgn8 address definately, but some have struck out on their own as entrepreneurs and have made it...

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get me wrong but i acknowledge those who have and gawd bless dem an the hard road dem have to row and di compromises dem have to mek an fight against

but, wen will these instances and their subsequent successes be the norm as opposed to the 'one off'....

wen will we realise that as an island of 2.5m our thinking has to be inkeeping wid dat starting point in alllllll its implications....

as i get older, i am getting darn tyad of waiting for the promise of independence which was made before my time....our parents lived for the changes that such would afford their children and now, not even great great grandchildren likely to see our independence of 1962 /forums/images/graemlins/70402-thinking.gif

mangoskin
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I know it's not easy..but I am still optimistic that this sports investment can be a big plus for ja if handled correctly

Tuff Gong
04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

sorry bout the peanut vendor, mi lub roasted peanut and peanut brittle, peanut punch & ice cream too..
(wonder if he was properly capitalized?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you stop putting words into my mouth?
The glass is always full for me because I look at the fullness. You on the other hand want to look at this in vacuum.
Jamaica does not operate in a vacuum. To fix a single pot hole in the country the GOJ must borrow money.
There are opportunity costs involved in any decision involving finance this or that in Jamaica as with any jurisdiction. The question is given all that is happening is this a good thing for the country.
Is spending US$105 million to get US$9Mil returns a good thing for us to do?

On a personal level since persons want to address me personally. I don't money problems at this time. I can afford what I want. The argument is about what is taking place in Jamaica.

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if handled correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

from ur lips to God's ears, as the saying goes..

see this is what pricks at me so to speak....the one variable which never seems to change in Ja is the very variable which time and time lets us down....and it all comes down 'to the handling' of watever venture it is in all those varibles

hope springs eternal, yes another cliche, but dang, even wid global warming , the future of said spring in question /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mangoskin
04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it can return much more than $9mill in the long term.

[ QUOTE ]

On a personal level since persons want to address me personally. I don't money problems at this time. I can afford what I want. The argument is about what is taking place in Jamaica.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't make any statements about any one's finances other than the capitalising of the vendors investment, (if that's what you're referring to)

RichD
04-25-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'whe bout di baktax star?'

[/ QUOTE ]

yes is dat mi did start talk bout in the other post....di man sey the attitude of senior managemnt in the tax dept is dat di jamaican culture does not allow for harsh tactics in collection. ( i guess unless yuh in di wrong party)

evanovitch
04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'whe bout di baktax star?'

[/ QUOTE ]

yes is dat mi did start talk bout in the other post....di man sey the attitude of senior managemnt in the tax dept is dat di jamaican culture does not allow for harsh tactics in collection. ( i guess unless yuh in di wrong party)

[/ QUOTE ]

such a cop out wen wat is wrang is dat dem cyan go afta di small man who is selfemployed having ignored di big man etc

Tuff Gong
04-26-2006, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much over what period?

RichD
04-26-2006, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what period is the financing over?

Tuff Gong
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to find out, but most of the spending was deferred to this year’s budget.

niceniss
04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so what about the maintenance and security costs that the complex will need for sustenance over the coming years?

as for the 105m, that was borrowed so we havent gotten to the interest rates that taxpayers will have to repay just yet...

RichD
04-27-2006, 09:05 PM
just saw this: [ QUOTE ]
We draw the minister's attention to the administrative disgrace reflected in the country's tax compliance rate of 58 per cent

[/ QUOTE ] editorial (http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060427/cleisure/cleisure1.html)

Wahalla
04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
In Barbadoes the world bank just did a report questioning the wisdom of spending so much of the countries revenue for one event....

Also there are a number of columinst wonder out loud why such almost blinkered attitude towards venues.... And will there be any long term benifit...

Frankly I can see Barbadoes making a hell of a lot out of it.. Currently there is virtually no hotel rooms available for that period... the car rental agencies are claiming rent now or there wont be cars available.... Having said that the small size of Barbadoes makes any benifit to be more equitably spread than JA.. One could rent a place any where in Barbadoes and get to the ground in under an hour....

I am thinking of going and will book tickets in the next month or so.. The big question is go to Barbadoes or Antigua..

I loved Dawn Rich feminist peice of anti World Cup in last Sundays gleaner though

niceniss
04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I loved Dawn Rich feminist peice of anti World Cup in last Sundays gleaner though

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah. you should have posted it...

Tuff Gong
04-05-2007, 01:18 PM
This is a great post at least it goes a bit of a way to help Dr. Clueless's reputation.

Sinco01
04-05-2007, 04:04 PM
From "<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I'm not even sure where to put this</span>" in this Forum ..

Mullings referred to a recent press article which suggested that the ICC, organisers of the tournament and world cricket’s governing body, will be making significantly more than US$550 million from its deal with ESPN STAR Sports, as its global media and production partner for audio-visual rights for its events, including CWC 2007, between 2007 and 2015. The previous deal with Global Cricket Corporation covering 2000-2007 had reaped US$550 million.

“I can’t give you a definitive answer to either of those questions. I am aware that serious questions are being posed about the way in which the revenues are shared.”

Asked by Mullings whether the territories have a share of the broadcast rights, Dr Davies said, “not to my knowledge. I am informed that there may be a share of the gate receipts, but I don’t want to be quoted on that until I can ascertain that definitively”.

Jamaica, one of the nine Cricket World Cup host Caribbean countries, spent at least J$8 billion to prepare the country for the tournament. Of this amount, a combined US$60 million was spent on the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium, which hosted warm-up games and the lavish opening ceremony, and on Sabina Park in Kingston where all Group D first-round matches were played. Region-wide, more than US$400 million was pumped into the staging of world cricket’s most prestigious tournament.

Mullings said he was concerned that while the countries, including Jamaica, have incurred those enormous debts to facilitate staging the event, “bearing in mind the pressures that our economies are under, wouldn’t it have been prudent to have ensured that we had a share in the monies as far as the broadcast rights are concerned?”

RichD
04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
antigua is even smaller but according to the commentators ..it was taking up to 2 hours to actually get into the stadium after arriving.

what you make of this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barbados LOC promises a capacity Kensington Oval
Web Posted - Thu Apr 05 2007
By Marc Gibson
WHILE it has been acknowledged that some of the results so far in the ICC CWC 2007 have negatively affected capacity expectations for the Kensington Oval, plans are afoot to maximise the stadiums capacity ahead of the Barbados leg of the Cricket World Cup.

According to Chief Executive Officer of the Barbados Local Organising Committee, Stephen Alleyne in December 2006 Kensington Oval achieved a sale of 95 per cent of the public tickets then available. Due to the early exit of India and Pakistan from the tournament, Alleyne stated that more tickets are now available. Our reaction has been to identify a number of initiatives around promotion and marketing, you are going to see a lot more advertising around the matches themselves. Were also going to be looking at the configuration of the stadium in terms of ticket prices to encourage more folk in, weve also have had discussions and significant support from the Ministry of Education on those days where there maybe more tickets available, insuring that our school children get the opportunity to experience the greatest spectacle we are likely to see in our own lifetime, Alleyne explained. He also stated that there were plans to conduct tours ahead of the scheduled matches that would allow Barbadians to experience the completed Kensington Oval.

Alleyne stated that while ensuring and maintaining the security for the potentially 27 000 capacity crowd was paramount, discussions were underway with the ICC and Cricket World Cup to ensure that fans will experience a typically West Indian CWC 2007, something that has been stated was lacking so far. One of the things we have worked to achieve was the bringing of musical instruments in, we are going to simplify that process and make it even simpler than before, the Barbados LOC CEO stated.
</div></div>

seet yah (http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/NewViewNewsleft.cfm?Record=30612)

Tuff Gong
04-06-2007, 06:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also have had discussions and significant support from the Ministry of Education on those days where there maybe more tickets available, insuring that our school children get the opportunity to experience the greatest spectacle we are likely to see in our own lifetime</div></div>

So B'Dos is ready to turn out even the kids from school to fill the gaping hole in the bucket. Well at least they are trying to get them in the venue. Jamaica just closes the schools anyway and bar the locals, with the price and the onerous rules.

Sinco01
04-08-2007, 03:58 PM
did some of the LOC succumb to

blackmail .. (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20070407T220000-0500_121418_OBS_CARIB_SURRENDERED_TO_ICC_PRESSURE. asp)

Tuff Gong
04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sinco01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
did some of the LOC succumb to

blackmail .. (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20070407T220000-0500_121418_OBS_CARIB_SURRENDERED_TO_ICC_PRESSURE. asp) </div></div>

It is the <span style='font-size: 11pt'>WCC-Blame Edition</span>, everyone is falling over themselves to blame, their muma, granny and dem next door neighbour.

<span style="color: #FF0000">World Cup fiasco</span>
Analysis
Rickey Singh
Sunday, April 08, 2007

AS the West Indies cricket team struggle, against all odds, to secure a place in the semi-finals for Cricket World Cup 2007, the most hurtful question remains: Who are those responsible for causing us more depression, more pain, more shame for this biggest, most historic event we have ever hosted - our team, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) or the host governments for the tournament?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/html/20070407T220000-0500_121394_OBS_WORLD_CUP_FIASCO_.asp

<span style="color: #990000">ICC should not have watered down Caribbean cricket culture</span>

Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Barbadian government minister heading Caricom's subcommittee on security for the Cricket World Cup, Mia Mottley, is disappointed with restrictions placed on fans at CWC games.

She has been criticising the West Indies Cricket Board's acceptance of certain conditions from the International Cricket Council for hosting the global event.

Some of the ICC-imposed restrictions blamed for dampening the spirits of regional cricket fans have been imposed for security reasons.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines...KET_CULTURE.asp (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/Business/html/20070404T210000-0500_121340_OBS_ICC_SHOULD_NOT_HAVE_WATERED_DOWN_C ARIBBEAN_CRICKET_CULTURE.asp)

<span style="color: #330000">A laughable US defence</span>
published: Sunday | April 8, 2007

Dawn Ritch, Columnist

The American Embassy in Kingston has defended the role of the American Government in helping to provide security for Cricket World Cup 2007. In a letter to The Gleaner, James T. Heg, charge d'affaires, also denied that the United States had anything to do with the institution of a CARICOM visa.

This was in response to my column last week 'Caribbean Confusion, U.S. Perfidy'. The first point by the charges d'affaires is that "the same wording (about terrorist threats) was used in the fact sheet for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, which did not cause sports fans to be 'turned off' from attending ... "

This is laughable. Nothing has ever prevented tourists from visiting Italy, not the World Wars, government on a children's carousel, kidnapping, murder, or the mafia. I doubt the U.S. government could accomplish what time has not.

US authoritative view

The West Indies is a completely different matter, like Indonesia. Everyone assumes we're the private lake of the U.S., and her view of us is, therefore, authoritative. Unfortunately, Caribbean governments which ought to know better, are often guilty of bending over backwards to accommodate them.

A case in point is ICC Cricket World Cup. A release from the Caribbean Community dated January 8, 2007, states: "The CARICOM Special Visa is a critical component of the extraordinary security measures to safeguard both visitors to and residents of the region that are being created for CWC 2007. The visa is intimately linked to the single domestic space that CARICOM heads of government following much consultation decided to create ....
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070408/cleisure/cleisure3.html

Tuff Gong
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Claiming ignorance after the fact

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The blame game, we see, has finally started.
Last week, Barbados' deputy prime minister Mia Mottley was reported as expressing disappointment at the restrictions placed on cricket fans for the current Cricket World Cup tournament being played in the region.

According to a BBC Caribbean report out of Barbados, Ms Mottley is blaming the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for accepting the restrictions imposed by the tournament organisers, the International Cricket Council (ICC) - restrictions that we all agree have dampened the spirits of the Caribbean people.

Measures such as allowing musical instruments into the stadia only if prior approval was granted, and refusing spectators the convenience of carrying their own bottled water were really ridiculous and demonstrated insensitivity by those who formulated and agreed to these rules.

Gladly, the imbecilic water restriction was lifted early in the tournament, and last weekend we received word that the organisers ruled that starting with the Bangladesh vs South Africa game last Saturday in Guyana, spectators would be allowed to take musical instruments with them to the games without getting permission in advance.

We cannot recall, in the run-up to the tournament, the people of the Caribbean being informed that they would be allowed to take musical instruments to the games on condition that they first got permission. In fact, it was clearly stated that this feature of Caribbean cricket would not be allowed.

So the ICC Cricket World Cup West Indies 2007 Inc, the company formed by the WICB to organise the tournament, is really being disingenuous by announcing now that all along, all that spectators needed was permission to take musical instruments into the grounds.

But back to Ms Mottley who, according to the BBC Caribbean report, said she was unhappy to see the watering-down of Caribbean cricket culture during the tournament, because of what she regarded as poor judgement by the WICB at the negotiation stage.

We also heard from the Grenadian prime minister, Dr Keith Mitchell, who chairs Caricom's Prime Ministerial Sub-Committee on Cricket. "It is clear that some of the things that were accepted by our negotiating team may not have been the wisest, in terms of crowd participation and involvement of the people," Dr Mitchell was reported as saying.

Last week as well, our very own finance minister, Dr Omar Davies, told a meeting of Parliament's Standing Finance Committee that the nine Caribbean host countries were dissatisfied with the revenue-sharing arrangements with the ICC. He also suggested that a legal view could be sought on the issue.

"There is a clear need to examine whether there is any legal recourse," Dr Davies said in response to a query from the Opposition as to whether Caribbean governments would share in the revenue the ICC was making from television rights, given the enormous debts the region would be left with after the tournament.

In his exchange with the Opposition, Dr Davies was clear that there was need for, as he puts it, "tougher bargaining" with the ICC.

All that, we agree, is true. However, we are puzzled by the seeming ignorance of these Caribbean government leaders.
For really, it is the Caribbean governments who are hosting the Cricket World Cup. Therefore, we expect that they would have ensured that the interests of the region and its peoples were protected.

<span style="color: #CC0000">If, as they are now trying to have us believe, they were not fully apprised of the CWC negotiations, they really should not be running the affairs of the region.

For simply put, what Dr Davies, Dr Mitchell and Ms Mottley, who was vice chair of the Caricom security ministers committee, have now told us, is that they are guilty of dereliction of duty.
</span>

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial...ER_THE_FACT.asp (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/html/20070409T200000-0500_121498_OBS_CLAIMING_IGNORANCE_AFTER_THE_FACT. asp)

Yuriatin
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
What a complete pack of idiots.

Such a waste of money.

Really quite sad.

Q3210
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
We create more issues than we are capable of solving them.
Jamaica was a developing country but has been more one of destitution in quality leadership and foresight.
Corruption is not only a major handicap but has become an institution ever since Anancy was introduced into our psyches as folklore before that other white omen called slavery.

Hopyoneson
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q3210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We create more issues than we are capable of solving them.
Jamaica was a developing country but has been more one of destitution in quality leadership and foresight.
Corruption is not only a major handicap but has become an institution ever since Anancy was introduced into our psyches as folklore before that other white omen called slavery. </div></div>

It is indeed a waste, but how was Anancy introduced into our psyches when he came over on the boats with the Africans /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif. Back to CWC, clearly in a rush to get the chance to host this event concessions were made both willingly and not. To single out Jamaican leadership when the decision was made as a region is not fair. The entire region got dupped, Jamaica and Trinidad might be in a slightly better position because one have oil and the other tourism and remittances going on but what about the smaller islands who spent just a much on a stadium that will reaslitically not get much use in its life time.

Tuff Gong
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Thu Apr 5, 2007
Australian vice captain calls World Cup atmosphere sterile

Australian vice captain Adam Gilchrist has described the atmosphere for World Cup games in the Caribbean as "sterile" and says it is a shame for world-class cricket to be played in front of small crowds.
Antigua's new Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, with a capacity of 20,000, was half-empty for the Australia-West Indies Super Eights clash last week, drawing criticism from captains Ricky Ponting and Brian Lara.

Australia's game against Bangladesh last weekend was also no blockbuster from a crowd point of view, with fans staying away for a variety of reasons including prices and restrictions on items that can be taken into the stadium.

Gilchrist called on organisers to have a "these-prices-can't-last-forever" stock-take sale.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/story.php?category=3&story=34585

Tuff Gong
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Wed Apr 11, 2007
Worries multiply as West Indies exits Cricket World Cup

Officials of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of Cricket World Cup (CWC) are trying to put on a brave face in the wake of forecasts that the international tournament will end up being a disaster for Jamaica.

Views being expressed in some quarters are that with the West Indies cricket team close to being eliminated from the CWC, interest in the remaining matches will wane and ticket sales will plummet.

On Tuesday night Chairman of the LOC, Robert Bryan, admitted that more than 500 tickets for the semi-final match have been returned by sponsors of Cricket World Cup.

He linked the sponsors’ action to the elimination of some of the Asian teams.

Despite this, Mr. Bryan is optimistic that there will be a bumper turnout of spectators for the final match at Sabina Park.

In the meantime, local hoteliers say they expect some fallout.

President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Horace Peterkin, is predicting a major decline in interest in the remaining cricket matches.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/story.php?story=34702&category=2

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/images/20070406T220000-0500_121370_OBS_EDITORIAL_CARTOON_1.jpg