PDA

View Full Version : Dr Peter Phillips For Prime Minister

RasItal
09-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Peter Phillips campaign heads west
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20050828T000000-0500_87095_OBS_PETER_PHILLIPS____1.jpg
The Dr. Peter Phillips camp will be rallying its forces in western Jamaica Thursday as it intensifies his leadership campaign.
Buoyed by its successful East Central St. Andrew Constituency conference on Sunday, in which many influential political personalities declared unwavering support for Dr. Phillips, the Dr. Paul Robertson led campaign team is now turning its attention to the second city.

The event dubbed Project Jamaica Rally will be held at the Montego Bay Community College at 6 o'clock Thursday evening.

Dr. Phillips will, as he did on Sunday, outline his vision for Jamaica.

It's understood that he will also be speaking on the role and expansion of tourism to national development.

The campaign team is promising that there will be even more endorsement of Dr. Phillip's candidacy by party officials from the western end of the island.

Based on Sunday's attendance, Dr. Phillips showed that he commands the support of the vast majority of Parliamentarians.

These include South East St. Catherine MP, Dr. Paul Robertson and South East St. Andrew's, Maxine Henry Wilson, his two leading campaigners.

In addition, there are Central Manchester's John Junor; South East St. Mary's Harry Douglas; Western Westmoreland's Dr. Wykeham McNeil; South St. Catherine's Fitz Jackson and Northern Clarendon's Horace Dalley.

It's understood that he has also received the backing of East Central St. Catherine MP, KD Knight who was not present at Sunday's conference.

The back benchers supporting Dr. Phillips include Dr. Morais Guy; Len Blake, Dr. Patrick Harris and Charles Learmond.

Former Parliamentarians in his corner include Heather Robinson; Alethia Barker; Arnold Bertram; Phyllis Mitchell; Marjorie Taylor and Donna Scott Bhoorasingh.

Current Senator Kern Spencer is also in the Peter Phillips camp.

Many of these persons openly declared their hand at Sunday's conference.

RasItal
09-21-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20050828T000000-0500_87095_OBS_PETER_PHILLIPS____2.jpg
Peter Phillips gestures in this 1999 Observer file photo.

The journey from Rasta to 'solid rock'BY ERICA VIRTUE Observer Writer

PETER David Phillips, 55, had crafted himself in the image of 'performer' and so had become one of the yardsticks by which the ruling People's National Party (PNP) government was judged up to 2002.

Dr Peter Phillips on a PNP platform in 2003. At right is Harry Douglas, St Mary member of parliament.

His hands-on approach to solving some seemingly insurmountable tasks, like turning poor roads into drivable thoroughfares and restructuring the ramshackle transport system, as minister of transport and works, showed he was not afraid of challenges.

No other Cabinet minister came close in the public's eyes as someone who knew how to get the job done - certainly not Dr Omar Davies nor Portia Simpson Miller, now his closest rivals. He was 'Mr Fix-it'.

That is, until he took up the ministry of national security in 2002. Jamaica wanted a man of action to fix the crime problem, and some thought that, if no one else, Dr Phillips could do it.

But, like K D Knight before him, Phillips, who holds a doctorate in international politics, has met upon a murder problem so complex that few initiatives have dented it, and in fact, a new record was set last year.

Since then, although the police have stopped issuing murder statistics, at a guess, more than a thousand persons have been killed already, and Jamaica again appears headed for a new record.

It is against this fresher background of unchecked murders,
and 11 years after he was handed his first ministry, that Phillips has entered the race for president of the 67-year-old People's National Party (PNP) - his goal, like the four other contenders, to become Prime Minister of Jamaica, after P J Patterson steps down.

Phillips will square off against the populist Simpson Miller, finance minister Davies, transport and works minister Robert Pickersgill, and Dr Karl Blythe, a former minister and central Westmoreland Member of Parliament.

All except Davies are PNP vice presidents.
Phillips, who continues to trail Simpson Miller as a favourite of delegates in recent opinion surveys, could run headlong into a political roadblock if he fails to take the party leadership.

He must win the presidential elections and up the ante with an electoral victory, otherwise, having served in every other sphere of the party, there won't be a respectable spot left for him to fill.
Since Phillips took over the ministry of national security, murders have peaked at 1,467.

His campaign, however, focuses on a return to family values and community spirit, seemingly sidestepping the challenges of his national security portfolio.

K D Knight can boast 40 or more pieces of legislation to strengthen crime policy, new and better vehicles for the police force, new policy direction for the police and a revitalised victim support programme, among other performance indicators.
Phillips can make no such claim.

But he can point to successes under Operation Kingfish, which has began the onerous task of dismantling some gangs, the arraignment of suspected drug smugglers and money launderers, and the arrest and charge of men like Joel Andem and Donald 'Zeeks' Phipps.

The question now for Phillips is whether he can sell himself as a winner when his current portfolio seems to be a dismal failure.
Lawyer and political commentator Paul Ashley argues that "winning" has to be the objective of any future leader of the PNP.
"The critical question the PNP must answer is, who will ensure a fifth political term?" he says.

Phillips is a good comrade who has paid his dues, adds Ashley.
He has also held more offices within the party and served on more party committees than most, if not all, members of Parliament combined. And he is well known among the delegates.

But his top party post - that of general secretary - was clouded by claims that then party leader Michael Manley ordered the party's establishment to vote for Phillips against Michael Peart in 1991.

Even then, he managed only a 19-vote majority among National Executive Council (NEC) members.

However, Phillips crashed to a nearly 3-1 thrashing among NEC members against Robert Pickersgill when he ran for party chairmanship, though his supporters make light of that fact, saying so was Patterson when he finished last in the race for vice president in the 1960s.

Today, Phillips goes into the leadership race with some advantages. Critically, he has the party's establishment behind him, if not the bulk also the delegates.

The police have been given a free hand to investigate crime and the recruitment of foreign police officers is part of his legacy.
He has as campaign managers Maxine Henry-Wilson and Paul Robertson who have been critical components of Patterson's electoral victories since 1993.

But the disadvantages include the nagging question that the delegates and the wider public are asking - what will the aspirants, including Dr Phillips, bring to the fight against crime, that they are not now doing as a government?

Political historian Tony Myers says Phillips remains a main contender for the presidency, but external events have made a big blow to his leadership bid.

"Prior to him taking over the ministry of national security, he was one of the very serious contenders to Jamaica House. But forces internal and external which have affected his ministry have done tremendous damage to his leadership bid," Myers argues.

Among the external factors Myers listed are demands by the Bush administration that have forced small nation states like Jamaica to divert scarce resources to immigration and security issues, since the 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.

Countries like Jamaica have also been told to fight drug trafficking on their shores, and sea and airport security have become paramount.

Phillips' minuses include his government's inability to persuade the police force to accept single digit salary increases.

While the portly MP has retained the solid support of his East Central St Andrew constituents - he garnered a margin of victory of more than 3,000 in the last general elections - questions are asked openly about a seeming lack of development in the constituency.

Myers can't recall anything tangible. Ashley says his constituency performance was not good enough, while one PNP insider who asked not to be named, says she cannot recall "one damn thing" he has done for his constituents.

Ashley also gives Phillips a poor mark on personality.
"Having a political personality is important for unifying, motivating, solving conflicts and nation building. It is not absolutely clear how he relates to the party itself," he adds.

"He is not inspirational. He cannot be described as charismatic, and he is not Patterson who can 'come off a stage, stand or sit with the populace and be one of them'," he argues.
"He is not known to be a top bureaucrat, and not known to be an inspirational leader. Maybe he is the severe, extreme and resolute leader," said Ashley.

But supporters insist that Phillips makes up for his lack of charisma and unengaging persona with the winning team members in his motorcade.

His backers believe he now has at least 50 per cent of the party's elected representatives behind his candidacy.

Phillips is an academic who became widely known as a member of the Rastafarian Twelve Tribes of Israel group in the late 60s to early 70s. Having thrown off his radical past, he is now husband and father of four sons and two daughters, and beside religious affiliation he now writes 'Anglican'.

His current campaign slogan 'Solid as a Rock', may be a throwback to that period of spirituality.
Recall that the biblical Peter was the disciple of whom Jesus said "on this rock I will build my church."

Phillips has been part of the PNP since 1989. He became a Member of Parliament in 1994 when Arthur Jones retired because of illness, and he won the ensuing by-election.
Since then his rise up the party heirarchy appeared headed straight for the top.

"Three years ago, the presidency was his to lose," said Ashley.
"Had Patterson said he was leaving, Phillips would have wrapped up the leadership and another electoral victory. But the tides have turned, and I am afraid there is quicksand under his feet," the political commentator said.

MsScotchBonnet1
10-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Lets hope that IF he wins he actually does something about the way Jamaica is going down the pan

Wardob
10-02-2005, 02:36 PM
He will win his party nomination only because the big boys will be on his side fighting to get out Portia simple because she is a woman.

The Jamaican people better like Portia. All the polls show she in a contest with Bruce will win, but the old Boys club within the PNP doesn’t want a woman leader.

Q3210
10-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Nominees for PNP leadership are Dr. Carl Blythe, Dr. Peter Phillips, Dr. Omar Davis and Nurse Portia Simpson-Miller.

quodlibet
10-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Is this an endorsement for "more of the same"?

Q3210
10-03-2005, 01:01 AM
It`s a show that where there are doctors, nurses stand back!

quodlibet
10-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Portia was more liked before too - and then they pulled out the "illiterate card" - just because she had not yet completed her degree... (and that was not enough, they pulled out the L-tag to muddy the waters as well)

Q3210
10-04-2005, 01:29 AM
L-tag? These men dont want a woman leading them.

barosa
10-04-2005, 11:55 AM
With Dr Peter Phillips, I see more of the same. Same gangs and their warfare, same candidates for scarce "goods and spoils", same cronyism as much the same group of people and hanger-ons will continue to benefit at the expense of the rest, same continuation of the garrisons, the Dons, the violence and the downward decline of the capital city of Kingston under PNP stewardship. /forums/images/graemlins/70361-embarassed.gif

I see no urban renewal, no beatification of the cities or the countrysides, no push to improve the infra-structure, to curb run-away corruption and inefficiencies.

What have we been having for the the last 15/16 years? well it's just more of the same. Sorry, but a jus di way mi seeit! But thank God! my words are not written in stone and if he becomes the head honcho, we may even get an unlikely surprise! :rolleyes:

-------------------
We shall see but a little way if we require to understand what we see : Henry David Thoreau

Q3210
10-05-2005, 06:18 AM
a picture of ever lasting hopelessness.

niceniss
10-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Quodlibet:
Portia was more liked before too - and then they pulled out the "illiterate card" - just because she had not yet completed her degree... (and that was not enough, they pulled out the L-tag to muddy the waters as well) l-tag="lesbian"?

she's no better than the others. her constituency is in an awful state with people living in abject poverty. pit latrenes and the like in 2005!

A friend of mine told me that one of his employees told him Portia ordered him and some other guys from the area laywait people who were on their way to the big meeting Seaga held in half-way-tree weeks prior to the last major election.

She's just as evil and worthless.

barosa
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
From what I've heard and been told, she is a powerhouse in her area. She's got a solid army of supporters ready fi fight fa har all de way. So it could very well be that the battle for the leadership could come down to a "brawl" between Peter and Portia. The political "battle of the sexes". Bwoay! Ah Tell Yu!!

It's just that ordinary Jamaicans take it upon themselves to be manipulated into unneccessary frenzy, even to violence in support of their candidates... I guess the securing of future "spoils" may be playing a very important part in the motivations by the various camps.

------------------
We shall see what we will see!

Wardob
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
“A friend of mine told me that one of his employees told him Portia ordered him and some other guys from the area laywait people who were on their way to the big meeting Seaga held in half-way-tree weeks prior to the last major election.”

Boy I tell you, no one can hear like Jamaicans, and when they don’t hear it from them cousin, them hear it from them friend. Anyone ever notices that, every time someone mention hear say it come from Cousin and or friend? Not from Mom Pops, Brother or sister all ways cousin and friend. More lie tell pan cousin and friend than anyone else. Only Miss Louie will tell us that a fi har aunty Roachy sey so.

The PNP should be careful of who lead the party after PJ. Say what you want about PJ, he knew what was the PNP problem when he took over leadership. The party was too far left, he understand the Jamaican people more than most Jamaicans politician he knew what he had to do, he knew regardless of the hardship Jamaicans will give you a chance if he keep the party in the middle of the road. He did just that and that’s how he won and keeps wining.
A good example is how he handle the Chavez controversy he took the wind out of the JLP sail, literally shut them up. The new Portia will do likewise, Peter Phillips is the same Peter of old and will move the party back to the left and that will do them in.

Some keep underestimate and put down the Jamaican electorate, but ask the politicians who did just that, they will tell you, they pay dearly for such misunderstanding. They (The Jamaican people) might not be as fancy, sophisticated, political educated as others but they know the difference between, left, center and right and they certainly know which way they want to go and its not left.

Portia for the good of the Party and if elected the Country.

niceniss
10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
firstavaall warbob, me naw tell noh lie. an seconavaal warbob, me fren naw tell noh lie. him tell me di night when di mawning him employee tell him. an dat was di day afta di big meeting happen inna half-way-tree. so tappinize!

niceniss
10-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Portia is of the same party whey bring destruction to jamaica, how is she for the good of the country. seeya! she nain even speak out when scandal go dung.

RichD
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Donnika:
firstavaall warbob, me naw tell noh lie. an seconavaal warbob, me fren naw tell noh lie. him tell me di night when di mawning him employee tell him. an dat was di day afta di big meeting happen inna half-way-tree. so tappinize! /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif
ah sah

Wardob
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Come on friend, sorry you see it as me calling you a liar. I know I am not good at humor but I was trying so please forgive me.

But just check out your statement he told you, after hearing it from his employee.
Now as a Jamaican, you know how it goes. Between his employees telling him and he telling you, and you telling us could make a hell of a difference. Check it out if it nu gu bak farda dan dat.

Well the post was about Dr. Phillips Vs. Portia, so I was picking my choice, gave my opinion why I believe she would make a better candidate, anything wrong with that?
But be real, lets say she gets the nomination and won the election, alas, she is the PM wouldn’t you want her to be successful for the good of the Country? If no tell me why

quodlibet
10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
So what's the alternative to PNP/PJ/Portia/Peter? The JLP?

please. been there, done that. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=deja%20vu)

What is our REAL alternative?

niceniss
10-10-2005, 05:55 PM
oh yeah? was the 80s quater as bad as the 70s, 90s or now?

sigh... a sad reality I've learned from reading what some posters post here is that some people cant think their way out of a plastic bag, let alone find solutions...

niceniss
10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Wardob, picking between protia and peter is like picking which egg taste better; the brown shelled one or the white shelled one.
no difference, just aesthetics. That was my point.

but hey, choice is good, eh?

Q3210
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Peter is a fat egg and once wore dreadlocks. What he`ll be as a PM is nothing really thought provoking.

Portia is an egg that has been wearing the same hairstyle from schooldays. She has got to be the only woman in the world that hasn`t changed her wig in 30 years. What she will bring to the office of PM is surely not much more head pieces.

RasItal
10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
http://www.jis.gov.jm/images/Peter_Phillips-1.jpg Who is Minister Phillips fooling ? (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/html/20051012T220000-0500_90263_OBS_WHOM_IS_MINISTER_PHILLIPS_FOOLING_. asp)

Pepper
10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Q3210:
Peter is a fat egg and once wore dreadlocks. What he`ll be as a PM is nothing really thought provoking.

Portia is an egg that has been wearing the same hairstyle from schooldays. She has got to be the only woman in the world that hasn`t changed her wig in 30 years. What she will bring to the office of PM is surely not much more head pieces. Mrrreow!!!

http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/archives/images/catfight.gif

PILOT
12-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Portia would beat Bruce - Observer/Stone Poll
A Portia Simpson-led PNP would beat the JLP

Monday, December 05, 2005

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20051204T180000-0500_93959_OBS_PORTIA_WOULD_BEAT_BRUCE___OBSERVER_ STONE_POLL_1.jpg
Portia Simpson Miller (right) would, as PNP leader, beat Bruce Golding and the JLP in a general election.

PORTIA Simpson Miller is not only the sole People's National Party leadership contender who could inspire her party to an election victory over Bruce Golding and his JLP in a general election, but would possibly give the Opposition a sound walloping, according to a new opinion survey.

The poll done for the Observer by the Stone Organisation showed that with Simpson Miller at the helm of the PNP, 42.4 per cent of voting age Jamaicans say that they would cast ballots for the party that has ruled Jamaica for 16 years.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20051204T180000-0500_93959_OBS_PORTIA_WOULD_BEAT_BRUCE___OBSERVER_ STONE_POLL_2.jpg

That gives a Simpson Miller-led PNP an 11.6 percentage point advantage over a JLP under the leadership of Golding (30.8 per cent), who became the party's boss in February after the retirement of Edward Seaga, who stepped down after 30 years.

On the other hand, if the PNP is led by any of the other candidates for the ruling party's top job when Prime Minister P J Patterson steps down early next year, Golding's party is the one which more Jamaicans say they would vote for.

On current standing, the JLP has an eight percentage point lead over the PNP hypothetically-led by Dr Peter Phillips, Simpson Miller's main rival for the post.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20051204T180000-0500_93959_OBS_PORTIA_WOULD_BEAT_BRUCE___OBSERVER_ STONE_POLL_3.jpg

Assuming the PNP was under the leadership of either the finance minister, Dr Omar Davies or party vice-president, Dr Karl Blythe, Golding and his party enjoys a lead of 18 percentage points and 17 percentage points, respectively.

"At present, the research is indicating that should Simpson Miller take the leadership of the PNP, a strong PNP win is in the making," Stone said. "Of course, that assumes that all the negative factors now dogging the PNP do not increase between now and the next elections due in 2007."

Stone conducted the poll between November 12 and 19, using a sample of 1,201 people in 40 communities across Jamaica. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus three per cent.

Among the findings is that more people (29.7 per cent) believe that JLP would do a better job at running the country than the PNP (24.7 per cent) at this time. More people (35.3 per cent) also felt that the JLP deserves to win the next election than the PNP (28.6 per cent). Simpson Miller and Golding were in a dead heat (24 per cent) on which one of them would do a better job of running the country at this time.

While Simpson Miller (46 per cent) has a three-to-one preference among the public over Phillips (15.3 per cent) as the best person to lead the PNP, the gap narrows to only four per cent when people are asked which one they believe will win the leadership - an acknowledgment of Phillips' strong support among the PNP's hierarchy.

But when people were asked which of the parties they would vote for on the basis of which PNP's contenders would face Golding, Simpson Miller emerged as the clear choice of the PNP if it wished to retain the government.

With Simpson Miller at the helm, 78 per cent of the people who voted for the PNP in the 2002 general election said they would cast their ballots again for the ruling party, while six per cent would defect for the PNP. On the other hand, approximately 13 per cent who voted for the JLP would now vote for the JLP, which would retain three-quarters of its votes from the last election.

With Phillips at the helm of the PNP, the party would retain 69 per cent of its 2002 voters, against eight per cent who would bolt to the JLP. Significantly, approximately 84 per cent of those who did so in 2002 would, with Phillips as president of the PNP, again vote for the Opposition JLP. A similar percentage of the JLP's 2002 voters would again vote for the party if either Blythe or Davies led the PNP.

However, with either of the latter two contenders leading the PNP, those from the last election who would maintain their vote for the ruling party drop to 58 per cent, while 11 per cent of former PNP votes would now vote for the JLP.

RasItal
01-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Portia or Peter or what?

Geof Brown
Friday, January 20, 2006

A week in politics can be an eternity. Just last week this column suggested rather strongly that it was time for one or even two of the candidates in the PNP leadership race to drop out for lack of viability. What a difference a day makes! For the showing of candidate Peter Phillips at his official launch last Sunday left pundits wondering whether the race between the two front-runners was not too close to call.
Astute talk-show host of Nationwide Cliff Hughes, who was on the floor of the arena at the Phillips' launch, declared his perception that the contest was too close to call. On that assumption, my call in last week's column for candidates to drop out is hardly valid. For it throws open a possible door of opportunity for the two "rear runners" to affect or even to determine the result of the contest. That does not mean there is a turn in favour of either Omar Davies or Karl Blythe now having a chance to overtake either of the two front-runners and end up victorious. Their possibility of winning, barring miracles is, I believe, dead.

Straw polls are not scientific but they provide indices which may have some significance. On Wednesday this week, the radio show Breakfast Club ran a straw poll asking citizens to indicate their preferences for which of the four PNP leadership contenders deserves to win (and end up as prime minister). The results were eleven for Portia, six for Phillips and one each for Davies and Blythe. Now several respondents were not PNP supporters, especially those preferring Portia to win and run the country. Therefore, they cannot affect the outcome since they have no chance of being party delegates whose votes will decide the winner.
When those non-PNP respondents are factored out, we are back to a close contest between the two front-runners, even allowing that on the basis of the unscientific poll, Simpson Miller would be ahead. But the Phillips camp claims to have 65 per cent of the delegates locked up, and their arena showing was demonstrably stronger than the Simpson Miller turn-out at the same venue earlier.

So altogether, the indications at this point suggest a very close contest between the two Ps. And that is why I am backing off my call for one or both of the two rear-runners to drop out of the contest. Though neither, especially Blythe, is going to pull a rabbit out of a hat, in the scenario of a very close contest between the front-runners, either or both can change the course of the current projections by throwing support to one of the front-runners. For idle speculation let's say Davies throws his support to Phillips while Blythe stays in to the finish. Phillips would have a distinct advantage and most likely end up being the winner. Or let's say Blythe throws support to Simpson Miller and Davies stays in to the finish, Portia would have the advantage and likely eliminate Phillips. And clearly, if both rear-runners throw support to either front-runner (a very unlikely scenario) the lucky front-runner as the beneficiary, would be a runaway winner.

You get the drift. Davies and Blythe can become rather significant power brokers if they stay in the race and dangle their potential support to one or other of the two Ps. By now, of course, both the Phillips and Simpson-Miller camps are well aware of the possibilities postulated here and are either acting or planning to act accordingly. So don't be surprised to hear rumours of quiet deals being negotiated out of the public gaze. Neither Portia nor Peter is safe as long as Davies and Blythe stay in the contest on their own. The real question is which of the two has the greater party delegate strength committed to him, which he can then use to leverage advantage in any possible deal with a front-runner. It cannot be taken for granted, however, that delegate votes can be horse-traded like personal possessions. Nevertheless, if a candidate should throw his support to one of the other candidates, chances are that a sizeable proportion of his committed support would go along with his switch.

Thus from a strategic point of view, it suits both Davies and Blythe to stay in the contest for as long as it is feasible to do so. They would not be staying to win but to gain advantage from whichever of the front-runners comes wooing, the closer the race gets to the finish line. For that, courting is inevitable.
Davies and Blythe would claim some designated spoils as payback for swinging the contest in favour of a particular candidate. Therefore the game has changed from one in which there was, for practical purposes, a two-horse race. What we now have is an exciting run-off in which it will be either Davies or Blythe determining the result. It will be the superior politician which captures the support of one or the other. On the face of things, it is the Davies' support which should prove the more critical.

But then who knows what can happen in a week? Even a day could turn all appearances inside out.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Peter must now shed tears (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/html/20060118T210000-0500_96860_OBS_PETER_PHILLIPS_MUST_NOW_SHED_TEARS. asp)

RasItal
01-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Wed Jan 11, 2006
Dr. Peter Phillips declares commitment to building bridges

http://www.rjrgroupsites.com/rjrwebsites/text/newsimages/2937503_PeterPhillips2.jpg
Dr. Peter Phillips, surrounded by a throng of supporters in 2005. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)

People's National Party (PNP) leadership contender, Dr. Peter Phillips, has emphatically avowed his willingness to play his part in calming the storm that is brewing in the leadership race.

Dr. Phillips affirmed his availability to meet with the leadership of the PNP and other contenders to heal a rift that threatens to rip the party asunder.

Wednesday's press luncheon represented a case of the calm after storm.

Dr. Peter Phillips solidly declared his preparedness to be the balm.

Tempers clearly cooled overnight in the aftermath of some fiery outbursts on the political landscape.

The fury of Team Portia was unleashed on the Solid as a Rock team after suggestions that her supporters defaced the walls of the premises of fellow comrades who are supporters of Dr. Peter Phillips.

But in stark contrast to Tuesday night, bright smiles shone from members of Solid as a Rock Campaign as they greeted journalists.

Dr. Phillips stoutly declared his commitment to promote unity at all cost.

His Campaign Manager, Maxine Henry-Wilson, vowed that the party would not yield to any form of provocation.

During the fiery exchange between the Solid as a Rock Campaign and Team Portia each side demanded an apology from the other, but none has been forthcoming.

In the meantime, the Solid as a Rock Campaign is oozing confidence ahead of its formal launch on Sunday.

Mrs. Henry-Wilson declared that this confidence is based on the result of a canvass that was done recently.

For the Solid As a Rock campaign it is now crunch time. So for Mrs. Henry-Wilson, if the canvass is anything to go by, Dr. Phillips is sitting pretty.

She came to Wednesday's press briefing well prepared to churn out figures.

It is well known that Dr. Phillips commands the support of most Parliamentarians.

Mrs. Henry-Wilson said the canvass has proven to be quite convincing. She asserted that the canvas revealed that over 2,600 of the approximately 4,000 delegates will vote for Dr. Phillips.
------------------------------------------------------------------
While the canvass paints a glowing picture, Mrs. Henry-Wilson stressed that the team is not taking any chances.

Does Peter still want to be PM? (http://www.thecommentatorjm.com/junpage_10.htm)

RasItal
01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Dr. Peter Phillips
http://www.pnpjamaica.com/candidatesnew/peter.jpg Dr. Peter Phillips' Solid As A Rock campaign revs up

Dr. Peter Phillips’ Solid As a Rock Campaign revved up its machinery Sunday for the final leg of the People’s National Party Presidential Campaign with a grand display at the National Arena.

The endorsements flowed from representatives of a wide range of interests and sector groups.

These include academia, the farming community, the youth movement, the labour movement, young professionals, and the youth and womens’ movements, among others.

It all happened in a packed arena, colourfully bedecked in orange, red and black.

An equally jazzy array of speakers were on full display and the gamut of endorsements was just as flowery.

However they did not stream from the MPs this time around.

It was a move clearly aimed at silencing comrades from rival campaign teams.

Many had scornfully downplayed the support base of the Solid As A Rock Campaign.

They scoffed that it was confined to Parliamentarians but on Sunday, the speakers made good use of the celebratory ambiance helped by pulsating music.

A cacophony of whistling sounds greeted the endorsements.

They oozed from 11 year old Shade Elliott with a poem, Nenna Wilson from the Women’s movement; Eleanor Brown representing young professionals and Allan Rickards from the farming community, among others.

They spoke of “Dr. Phillips’ visionary approach, his sharp, analytical mind able to grasp complex matters and the best prepared person."

Dr. Phillips 34 year-old son Michael also came with his accolades and spoke of his father’s commitment to family and country.

Michael declared that Dr. Phillips has a great contribution make in relation to the return of discipline and integrity to this country.

A delegate brought a proclamation of endorsements to Dr. Phillips.

It was at this stage that the balloons, all red, orange and black descended to herald to the stage the man of the moment and Dr. Peter Phillips came to the platform of his launch with a three pronged vision.

They are wealth creation, an assault on crime and the completion of the transformation of the education system.

Dr. Phillips moved early in his presentation to grab and maintain the interest of a crowd hyped by previous speakers.

He quickly reeled off the achievements of successive PNP administrations and paid tribute to past leaders.

Dr. Phillips was particularly defensive of the legacy of P.J. Patterson.

With that out of the way, he warned supporters not to take any chance with the future, quipping that gambling must be set aside for lotto.

In presenting his credentials, Dr. Phillips listed his achievements and experiences before outlining his vision.

The first was wealth creation.

He promised to cut interest rates and reduce bureaucracy to ensure economic growth.

He vowed to walk the ends of the earth to seek investment.

However at the same time, he stressed the need to create business opportunities for Jamaicans.

He spoke to a vision of partnership. He gave the undertaking that he would play a significant role in nurturing the farming sector and small business community.

Dr. Phillips promised to put idle lands in the hands of productive Jamaicans and he spoke of a vision of banishing illiteracy.

He asserted that his administration would complete the process of educational transformation.

He spoke to a system of rewards for teachers while penalizing those who failed to play their part.

Dr. Phillips declared that his administration would find the resources to rescue the education system.

This includes changes to the curriculum and general environment of schools.

He promised to bring the best retired teachers back to classrooms.

Dr. Phillips, the current National Security Minister, spoke to an increased period of training for police.

He vowed to stamp out criminality and as he touched on the breakdown of the social fabric, he promised to change laws to hold parents of street children to book.

Wahalla
01-21-2006, 11:37 PM
I wanda if Tuffy know im.. If he does I would love to hear his impressions of the man... As both were members of 12 tribes (Personally I have a certain disdain for him, Phillips not Mr Gong!)

Tuff Gong
01-22-2006, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanda if Tuffy know im.. If he does I would love to hear his impressions of the man... As both were members of 12 tribes (Personally I have a certain disdain for him, Phillips not Mr Gong!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bun Peter Phillips.

Did you hear the cry of the woman whose nephew member(s) of the Peter Phillips Crew, coming for his so-called second launch, knifed?

Six Men, including three comrades, killed today and three Labourites, has been murdered in his constituency within a week so pretty soon we will be on our way to matching Dr. Clueless area.
The National Bus Service cannot even go to certain parts of his constituency.
.... and before anyone tek up the case, I was born raised and still have residence in East Central St. Andrew.

The most serious writ against him is of course the question of extra-judicial killings by agents of the State. The huge human rights problems in Jamaica, where agents of the State have virtually declared open season on all young men has worsened under his tenure.

Wahalla
01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
before outlining his vision.

He promised to cut interest rates and reduce bureaucracy to ensure economic growth.

Wahalla: Cut interest rates ????? This would cause the dollar to free fall again unless they simply can increase the GDP. Which this government has failed to do. What will happen if this happens in run away inflation without any increase in GDP.. You mean after 17 years in power they are just now trying to makle government efficient…..

Wahalla: And you mean they have not been doing this already ????? Who in their right mind would invest in wealth creating schemes in Jamaica that would recirculate the investment back into the local economy. The conditions for this simply don’t exist.

However at the same time, he stressed the need to create business opportunities for Jamaicans.

Wahalla: Coming for a man who takes pride in his participation in the PNP anti business regime in the 70’s I find this disengenoius to say the least.

He spoke to a vision of partnership. He gave the undertaking that he would play a significant role in nurturing the farming sector and small business community.

Wahalla: Farmer helping farmers don’t make me laugh.. Like the measly $100000.00 they invested in St Elizabeth afte the last hurricane. And who got the money any farmers you know????

Dr. Phillips promised to put idle lands in the hands of productive Jamaicans and he spoke of a vision of banishing illiteracy.

Wahalla: It is nice to know after 33 years Jamal was a failure.. And Land Lease as well as poltical sanctioned apture of land is a failure. There is no shortage of land available in Jamaica to Farm any body who wants land can find some body who will lend you land for free. My father did this for years.. Till some PNP activist told the people they did not have to leave. But this still goes on in the country and I know man young men who get a start this way. Keep the government buracrsay out of such arrangements. That would cut the buracrasey.. In stead present simple formats of contracts that can be signed between the leasee and leaser that gives protection to both. Not [censored] like this.

He asserted that his administration would complete the process of educational transformation.

Wahalla: What transformation. His administration has overseen a continous failure to educate. With boys being left behind at a greater rate.

He spoke to a system of rewards for teachers while penalizing those who failed to play their part.

Wahalla: Ah rite!

Dr. Phillips declared that his administration would find the resources to rescue the education system.

Wahalla: at 91 % of education buget going to pay salaries..

Wahalla: and here I was thinking that education curriculums were being constantly up dated. This simply illustrates the rigidity and banrupsy of education… And where will he find resources to improve general environment of schools. Does he not forget his proclamation of support for boarding schools the most inefficient use of educational resources.

Wahalla: Is this simply not admitting that the training of teachers has been a failure ??? Should there not be simply an organic replacement of good teachers as other teachers retire .

Dr. Phillips, the current National Security Minister, spoke to an increased period of training for police.

He vowed to stamp out criminality and as he touched on the breakdown of the social fabric, he promised to change laws to hold parents of street children to book.

Wahalla: Well he never did that during his period as security minister why should he succedd at this when he is prime minister. Looking a Mr Gongs comment on his constituency, I would not make a man Prime Minister who is consolidating his constituency into a rotten borough…

What do I know I am but a simple dut farmer….

Tuff Gong
01-22-2006, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
before outlining his vision.

Wahalla: Cut interest rates ????? This would cause the dollar to free fall again unless they simply can increase the GDP. Which this government has failed to do. What will happen if this happens in run away inflation without any increase in GDP.. You mean after 17 years in power they are just now trying to makle government efficient…..

Wahalla: And you mean they have not been doing this already ????? Who in their right mind would invest in wealth creating schemes in Jamaica that would recirculate the investment back into the local economy. The conditions for this simply don’t exist.

Wahalla: Coming for a man who takes pride in his participation in the PNP anti business regime in the 70’s I find this disengenoius to say the least.

Wahalla: Farmer helping farmers don’t make me laugh.. Like the measly $100000.00 they invested in St Elizabeth afte the last hurricane. And who got the money any farmers you know????

Wahalla: It is nice to know after 33 years Jamal was a failure.. And Land Lease as well as poltical sanctioned apture of land is a failure. There is no shortage of land available in Jamaica to Farm any body who wants land can find some body who will lend you land for free. My father did this for years.. Till some PNP activist told the people they did not have to leave. But this still goes on in the country and I know man young men who get a start this way. Keep the government buracrsay out of such arrangements. That would cut the buracrasey.. In stead present simple formats of contracts that can be signed between the leasee and leaser that gives protection to both. Not [censored] like this.

Wahalla: What transformation. His administration has overseen a continous failure to educate. With boys being left behind at a greater rate.

Wahalla: Ah rite!

Wahalla: at 91 % of education buget going to pay salaries..

Wahalla: and here I was thinking that education curriculums were being constantly up dated. This simply illustrates the rigidity and banrupsy of education… And where will he find resources to improve general environment of schools. Does he not forget his proclamation of support for boarding schools the most inefficient use of educational resources.

Wahalla: Is this simply not admitting that the training of teachers has been a failure ??? Should there not be simply an organic replacement of good teachers as other teachers retire .

Wahalla: Well he never did that during his period as security minister why should he succedd at this when he is prime minister. Looking a Mr Gongs comment on his constituency, I would not make a man Prime Minister who is consolidating his constituency into a rotten borough…

What do I know I am but a simple dut farmer….

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Analysis but it will be lost on most. As Maxine Henry-Wilson (who runs Dr. Phillips campaign team) said there are High Schools in Jamaica that could never lay claim to a CXC pass in ten years.

It follows that there are a lot of illiterate Jamaicans walking around, so anything over two lines long might be a stretch.

If you don't believe me read IMax's latest column.
Whatever Lola wants . (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/html/20060121T180000-0500_97056_OBS_WHATEVER_LOLA_WANTS__.asp)

RasItal
02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Phillips woos Patterson's delegates

Observer Reporter
Monday, February 13, 2006

PEOPLE'S National Party presidential candidate Dr Peter Phillips took his campaign to the Eastern Westmoreland constituency of Prime Minister P J Patterson on Saturday, hailing the man who he wants to succeed as a visionary and exceptional leader.

Phillips said Patterson would have a special place in the modern political history of Jamaica for the far-reaching programmes he spearheaded during his years as prime minister and for his significant contributions to national development even before he become head of government.

Phillips told the campaign rally that he considered it an honour to be vying to replace Patterson and to have the support of the delegates in Eastern Westmoreland who have supported Patterson over the years.

There are about 50 accredited delegates in the constituency and the Peter Phillips Solid As a Rock Team is expecting majority support among them.

Phillips, who visited delegates in several communities, including Whitehouse, Lambs River and Darliston, was accompanied by the councillors for the Whitehouse, Bethel Town and Darliston divisions of the Westmoreland Parish Council, Oneil Anglin, Danree Delancy and Trevor Jamieson, respectively.

The presidential candidate was also a guest at the home of Senator Noel Monteith, who is a senior member of his Solid As a Rock team.

Tuff Gong
06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wahalla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanda if Tuffy know im.. If he does I would love to hear his impressions of the man... As both were members of 12 tribes (Personally I have a certain disdain for him, Phillips not Mr Gong!) </div></div>

LOL!