PDA

View Full Version : Censure Result

Yuriatin
10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Help me out on this one guys:

If Parliament does indeed censure Karl Samuda, what is the end result for, or to him? What effect does it have on him - what will it prevent him from doing? What does censuring him do to him?

Thanks.

RichD
10-03-2006, 10:34 PM
all it is is a formal condemnation of his actions ..im not sure if they have any enaltea attatched...some jurisdiction might fine or suspend a member who has been censured.

Tuff Gong
10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Dem can fling im outta Parliment to.

RichD
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mi nevah know sey dem could expell

Tuff Gong
10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mi nevah know sey dem could expell

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!

Yuriatin
10-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Ok ok, I see. Thanks guys.

From all the radio I've been listening to, it just seemed like they were going to be able to ban from heaven or something. So I couldn't tell what the exact reprecussions were - if it a slap on the wrist or kick out of the human race type deal.

I had NO idea they could kick him outta parliament - I see now what the big deal is. My Mom told me earlier this evening that Manley was once censured but, I don't know if that's true. Could be - but she tends to rub herself down wid ole eap a rum - EVEN WHEN SHE DOESN'T HAVE A COLD. /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif I think maybe she was rubbin tonite when I talked to her. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tuff Gong
10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok ok, I see. Thanks guys.

From all the radio I've been listening to, it just seemed like they were going to be able to ban from heaven or something. So I couldn't tell what the exact reprecussions were - if it a slap on the wrist or kick out of the human race type deal.

I had NO idea they could kick him outta parliament - I see now what the big deal is. My Mom told me earlier this evening that Manley was once censured but, I don't know if that's true. Could be - but she tends to rub herself down wid ole eap a rum - EVEN WHEN SHE DOESN'T HAVE A COLD. /forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif I think maybe she was rubbin tonite when I talked to her. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of options the ones bringing the motion generally ask for a remedy. The vote and the recommendations go to what is called the Privilege Committee that will deal wid the matta.
Could be mild could be strong.

Tony Spaulding was once reprimanded I don't think Menlie was censored, but there were at least three major enquiries during his admin and all kinds of scandals during his Admin. Hell besides Tony Spaulding’s, PJoke and David Coore kept him very busy, putting out fires.

CeaBee
10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Samuda censured, committee to decide fate
published: Wednesday | October 4, 2006

Dionne Rose, Parliamentary Reporter

SAMUDA

The censure motion brought against Opposition Member of Parliament for North Central St. Andrew, Karl Samuda, was yesterday passed in the House of Representatives unopposed as members of the Opposition walked out in protest.

The motion has been referred to the Privileges Committee to recommend the appropriate sanctions to be applied.

Among other things, Mr. Samuda could be suspended or expelled.

Government backbencher, Donald Buchanan last month moved the motion against Mr. Samuda as he accused him of misleading the House in making claims that Noel Hylton, the Port Authority of Jamaica chairman, had submitted a report to the Cabinet and former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson on the Sandals Whitehouse project.

Mr. Buchanan, in opening the debate, sought to show how Mr. Samuda misled the House by using excerpts from Hansard, drawn from speeches made previously in the House by Mr. Samuda.

Cock mouth kill cock

"What I have indicated here is truly, Mr. Speaker, a case of cock mouth kill cock," he said. "Mr. Speaker, the word of the Hon. Noel Hylton, one of the finest public servants to ever serve this country, he said no such report was ever submitted."

But Leader of the Opposition Bruce Golding in his contribution to the debate, made a surprising countermove to the motion when he circulated a copy of Mr. Hylton's report.

This was not without futile efforts by Government members to prevent the circulation of the document. Government Members Sharon Hay-Webster, Fitz Jackson and O.T. Williams on a point of order, said the document could not be circulated.

But House Speaker, Michael Peart, ruled in favour of Mr. Golding. Mr. Golding then proceeded to prove the authenticity of the report with the circulation of the document. He also quoted extensively from the document.

"What is to be the faith of this censure motion? They have the force of numbers and they will no doubt seek to use the force of numbers to carry through the censure motion," he pointed out. "But in my view, it will be a corrupt use of the majority that you have."

When the Speaker refused to allow a debate on the Nigerian oil deal which the Opposition charged exposed the corrupt practices of the Government, Mr. Golding led a walkout by the Opposition.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20061004/lead/lead7.html

Tuff Gong
10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
The PNP is having a News Conference later let's see how they play it. PSM said we are not for sale, yet farrin check turn up!

Tuff Gong
10-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Round 2

Wed Oct 25, 2006
Censure motion against Karl Samuda sent back to the House

The Privileges Committee was on Wednesday forced to send back the censure motion against Karl Samuda to the House of Representatives, following strenuous interventions by vocal Opposition members.

Committee Chairman Michael Peart relented after the Opposition contended that the procedures as well as the mandate of the Privileges Committee were unclear.

It was a one sided affair as the four Opposition members came obviously well-prepared for battle.

The interventions by Government members were comparatively few.

Opposition Leader Bruce Golding was at the vanguard of the assault on the procedures being undertaken by the Parliamentarians to bring Mr. Samuda to book.

He contended that censure was a punishment.

It was for this reason Mr. Golding argued that when Michael Manley was censured in 1971, no other action was taken against him.

The Opposition Leader challenged Committee Chairman Michael Peart to state the infraction of the rules of the House that Mr. Samuda had committed to warrant the attention of the Privileges Committee.

Mr. Peart countered that Mr. Samuda was in contempt of the House as he had refused to withdraw a statement he made that was not based on facts.

The Committee Chairman was referring to Mr. Samuda's refusal to withdraw a statement he made that a report allegedly prepared by Head of the Port Authority of Jamaica Noel Hylton was submitted to former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson.

For a while, the Government members attempted to put up some resistance to the Opposition's onslaught.

But with Government member O.T. Williams siding with the Opposition Mr. Peart backed down.

All nine members of the Privileges Committee attended Wednesday's meeting, the first being convened in many years.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/story.php?category=2&story=29444