PDA

View Full Version : Temporary "Enjoyment" Marriages

JM1
01-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Temporary 'Enjoyment Marriages' In Vogue Again With Some Iraqis
By Nancy Trejos
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 20, 2007; A01

BAGHDAD -- Fatima Ali was a 24-year-old divorcee with no high school diploma and no job. Shawket al-Rubae was a 34-year-old Shiite sheik with a pregnant wife who, he said, could not have sex with him. Ali wanted someone to take care of her. Rubae wanted a companion. They met one afternoon in May at the house he shares with his wife, in the room where he accepts visitors seeking his religious counsel. He had a proposal. Would Ali be his temporary wife? He would pay her 5,000 Iraqi dinars upfront -- about $4 -- in addition to her monthly expenses. About twice a week over the next eight months, he would summon her to a house he would rent.

"It's a cover for prostitution," said Um Akram, a women's rights activist in Baghdad. "Some women, because they don't want to be prostitutes, they think that this is legal because it's got some kind of religious cover. But it is wrong, and they're still prostitutes from the society's point of view." Um Akram, like the mutaa spouses interviewed, asked that only parts of her name be published.

Shiite clerics and others who practice mutaa say such marriages are keeping young women from having unwed sex and widowed or divorced women from resorting to prostitution to make money.
They say a mutaa marriage is not much different from a traditional marriage in which the husband pays the wife's family a dowry and provides for her financially. "It was designed as a humanitarian help for women," said Mahdi al-Shog, a Shiite cleric.

According to Shiite religious law, a mutaa relationship can last for a few minutes (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70367-help.gif) or several years (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70388-shameonyou.gif). A man can have an unlimited number of mutaa wives and a permanent wife at the same time. (But dis soun like yawd !)

A woman can have only one husband at a time, permanent or temporary. (As James Brown sang: "this is a man's world") When the time limit ends, the man and woman go their separate ways with none of the messiness of a regular divorce. (cough, cough….unless there is a baby)

Ali had a normal marriage once. It lasted only three months because the couple did not get along. Her chances for another permanent marriage, she said, were slim. Men often prefer virgins over widows and divorced women, she said. (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70374-lipsrsealed.gif)

He chose Ali partly because her blond hair, (Aiih sah. The world is definitely not level) light brown eyes and petite figure had always attracted him. "When she puts makeup on, it destroys her beauty," he said. He also liked that she was religiously devout, and he said he wanted to keep her from a relationship outside of marriage. (What a thoughtful fellow !)

The money he gave her helped. Her father owns a bakery but money has always been tight, so much so that she had to end her education after elementary school. But money wasn't her only reason for entering the enjoyment marriage. "I have needs just like any other woman," she said.

A woman cannot terminate a temporary marriage before it expires unless the man agrees, said four sheiks interviewed for this article. Once the marriage is over, she has to wait at least two menstrual cycles before she can have another relationship so that paternity can be easily determined if she becomes pregnant, they said.

On the days he could see her, he gave her flowers, perfume, clothing and a watch. They had meals together. Sometimes he could spend the whole day with her. Other times, just five or six hours. (men work hard. They get weary sometimes. I guess.)

Ali said she cried when the marriage ended early last week. "It's just like a permanent marriage," she said. "When he leaves, I become sad." Her sorrow did not last long. Rubae said Jan. 12 that he had decided to marry her again. This time, he said, he would marry her for a year, enough time for his wife to fully recover from childbirth. (This guy is a saint I tell you)

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

niceniss
01-21-2007, 06:46 PM
men!

Gen
01-21-2007, 06:50 PM
fi dem ideologies juss boggle mi mind \0/

JM1
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
They're just trying to be helpful.

ILP
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
kissteet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif men, esie?

Gen
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I was watching a piece by amanpour..she was interviewing radical muslims in London...they had a meeting and up and down the table were bottles of cola /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif ah mean dem bun fiyah pan the west all day long and siddung a drink cola /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif

i'ts nothing but prostitution, call girls etc...so dem muss stop the foolishness bout "temporary marriage" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif

tsophra
01-22-2007, 03:12 AM
aye sah..anadda religious ting fe men by men /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif

where do children from this trysts fit een..are they considered legimate? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gifI bet not

RichD
01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
genius i tell yuh ..pure genius

wonda if i can tun shiite

JM1
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">genius i tell yuh ..pure genius

wonda if i can tun shiite </div></div>

Many Jamaican men already have so gwaan tru.

Jazz
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
its a mans world /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif