PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at daycare centre

CeaBee
02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Kids traumatised
Witness murder of man at day-care centre
KARYL WALKER, Observer staff reporter
Saturday, February 03, 2007

BRAZEN gunmen yesterday morning shot dead a man at a Kingston day-care centre, traumatising a number of little children who were on the premises.

The dead man, identified as Robert Watson, 30, of Weymouth Drive in Kingston, was the foreman for a construction project at the rear of the National Commercial Bank Nursery and After School Care Centre, where preparatory work was being done for the building of new classrooms.

Last night, the police said they were searching for the two gunmen who shot Watson twice and left the compound on a motorbike. The gunmen reportedly had a heated argument with the construction foreman before they took him down with their weapons.

The incident happened while some of the children were having recess in the yard of the nursery.

"Dem shoot him and jump over the children before dem leave," according to a man who said he witnessed the shooting.

Watson, the man told the Observer, ran off, then collapsed about 10 metres from where he was shot and died.
The children who were playing in the yard at the time were quickly ushered into the building before they were bussed away to the NCB Wellness Centre at Phoenix Avenue where they met their parents.

"These criminals are cold and heartless to kill a man like that in front of so many children. Why do these gunmen think they have to do these wicked acts just to prove how bad they are? Are we going to continue to give them a free run in the country?" a policeman on the scene asked.

The nursery is manned by security guards and is protected by a sliding electronic gate, but the police said the gunmen pointed their guns at the security guard who operated the gate and ordered him to let them out.

"He had to comply or we would have two dead bodies here," said another policeman on the scene.

At least 40 children between the ages of three months and 11 years use the facility, which was built by NCB to cater to the staff of the financial institution.

Meanwhile, Watson's murder, which occurred about 9:30 am yesterday, put a damper on operations as staff members were visibly shaken by the incident.

"The staff is a little bit shaken up. We have never had anything like this. In fact, it is the only unfortunate incident in 30 years," Belinda Williams, NCB public relations and communications manager said.

Yesterday, as officers from the Homicide Assessment Team combed the murder scene for clues, Watson's body lay spread-eagled on the pavement in the boiling morning sun. A few of his female relatives sat somberly under a tree and peered at the lifeless body of their loved one lying in a pool of blood.

"He was a gentle soul who never lived bad with anybody so I don't see why they had to do this to such a good man," one of his relatives said.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20070202T230000-0500_118691_OBS_KIDS_TRAUMATISED.asp

Pepper
02-03-2007, 11:59 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70361-embarassed.gif...no words

CeaBee
02-03-2007, 12:01 PM
mi know /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

remo
02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
dese killers dont care they know that the probability of being caught and going to jail for these heinous acts are next to zero

Serenity82
02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
dear jesus christ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70367-help.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Hopyoneson
02-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Chances are I went to basic school with this guy almost same age and lived off Weymouth Drive for a while RIP...when you read things like this you wonder what could have been if you never left the place.

Sinco01
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
that is a thought that is constantly wid mi ...

RIP ... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif

Sinco01
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
<span style="color: #990000">Fatal police shooting near Kingston school sparks protest</span>

TANEISHA LEWIS, Observer staff reporter
Thursday, February 08, 2007

An emotional Cornelius Watson, father of 29-year-old Derrick Watson who was shot and killed by the police yesterday, recounts the incident leading up to the death of his son.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20070207T210000-0500_118878_OBS_FATAL_POLICE_SHOOTING_NEAR_KINGSTO N_SCHOOL_SPARKS_PROTEST_1.jpg

At left is Derrick's mother, Yvonne Roberts. The police claimed that the man engaged them in a shootout, and was killed when they fired back. (Photo: Michael Gordon)

THE police yesterday shot dead 29-year-old Derrick Watson who they claimed was among two men who fired at a police party along Red Hills Road, in the vicinity of the Dunrobin Primary School in Kingston.

A .357 magnum revolver, loaded with 21 rounds of ammunition, was allegedly taken from the dead man's body, the police said.

However, the shooting drew anger from the dead man's family and residents of Red Hills Road, who mounted a roadblock along Red Hills Road to protest against Watson's killing. However, the demonstration was quickly broken up by the police, who kept the angry, placard-bearing residents on one side of the road.

"Unnu kill the man and him nuh do nothing," said a female resident.

Meanwhile, Watson's parents Yvonne Roberts and Cornelius Watson had to be consoled by friends as they mourned for their loved one.

".Them kill me son," Roberts wailed. "A fi dem gun them put pon him," she said.

Roberts, a vendor at the nearby Dunrobin Primary School, claimed that she saw when the police ran towards the area where her son was at the time.

"Him did just come back from go look work because him never get none and him go over him auntie," she recalled. "Me see the policeman run go up deh so me call him pon the phone and tell him seh the police a come. When the policeman see me him tell me seh, 'come off of the phone duty gyal'."

Roberts added that shortly after she heard a barrage of gunshots and was later informed that her son had been shot.
Sergeant Troy Anderson of the Constabulary Communications Network (CCN) told the Observer that the police were carrying out an operation in the area at about 10:00 am when they saw two men in a yard with guns. The men, he said, challenged the police and then ran and fired at the police. The police returned the fire, hitting Watson, said Anderson.

Kimberley24
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
If her son wasn't involved in anything bad why did she have to call him and tell him the cops are on their way /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif

Dr.Dudd
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimberley24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If her son wasn't involved in anything bad why did she have to call him and tell him the cops are on their way /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif </div></div>
What a dumb thing to say!!!

What do you know about Jamaican police and their actions?
i remember about 10 years agoa poster made similar remark about a police shooting on these pages,adn my answer was "you will learn it when it visit younfamily' ..and it did a few months after. ...and she had a different take on the police actions,and their behavior toewards citizens.

Kimberley24
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
It is not a dumb thing to say. It is a simple question that popped up in my head and was asked. It would have been great if you could respond by explaining why she possible had to call her son to tell him they were on there way.
I lived in Jamaica for most of my life and i am very aware of what the police there are like. In fact an extended family member was recently thrown in the back of a jeep beside his dead friend who was shot in the head by the police who also ran him-the relative down to shot him and he is quite innocent and only 16 years old. The only reason he wasn't shot in the face is because the people in the community begged them and explained that he wasn't a bad boy. His only crime is living in the ghetto. So Dr. Dudd i am very very aware of what is going on in Jamaica. So unfortunate for that board member who lost her family member if that was the case. I pray/hope that doesn't happen to mines. Also my brother is a cop and i have to constantly worry about when we will recieve that call and no he hasn't turned corrupt yet.

RichD
02-11-2007, 09:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .357 magnum revolver, loaded with 21 rounds of ammunition, was allegedly taken from the dead man's body, the police said.
</div></div>

dat is a special revolver /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif

fus mi a hear of one like dat ....

Dr.Dudd
02-12-2007, 01:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .357 magnum revolver, loaded with 21 rounds of ammunition, was allegedly taken from the dead man's body, the police said.
</div></div>

dat is a special revolver /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif

fus mi a hear of one like dat .... </div></div>
I wonder what is the diameter of that barrell?
What ever it is, I am sure it could not be carried in one pocket.
Where they get thse description for these weapons. i mean do they just make up these? because surely a revolver cannot hold 21 rounds.

Dr.Dudd
02-12-2007, 01:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimberley24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a dumb thing to say. It is a simple question that popped up in my head and was asked. It would have been great if you could respond by explaining why she possible had to call her son to tell him they were on there way.
I lived in Jamaica for most of my life and i am very aware of what the police there are like. In fact an extended family member was recently thrown in the back of a jeep beside his dead friend who was shot in the head by the police who also ran him-the relative down to shot him and he is quite innocent and only 16 years old. The only reason he wasn't shot in the face is because the people in the community begged them and explained that he wasn't a bad boy. His only crime is living in the ghetto. So Dr. Dudd i am very very aware of what is going on in Jamaica. So unfortunate for that board member who lost her family member if that was the case. I pray/hope that doesn't happen to mines. Also my brother is a cop and i have to constantly worry about when we will recieve that call and no he hasn't turned corrupt yet. </div></div>
If you ask a question just off th etop of your head. You are likely to ask dumb questions at times. Now with all th einformation you post ,how could you question, why th emother called her son too warn him of th epolice presence?
you think she wan't the police to throw hom with his dead friends in the back of a jeep,or worst yet,do as they did and murder him?