PDA

View Full Version : Here Moosie Moosie...Let me take your picture!

Nanook
05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
What a FUN treat to spot a Moose in the wild! And even better treat when you just happen to be able to catch him with your camera! Was I afraid he would come and charge me and stomp me for bothering him? No! I was just too excited to be able to snap his photo as he sauntered off.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/beadedheron/MOOSE003.jpg

wandaweberg
05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow - Nanook - excellent photo!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif

Compry
05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
You are one brave lady. Nice shot.

RichD
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM
thats a hungry lookin moose

Tuff Gong
05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Looks like a mini-Camel....I have never seen one real!

Bandana
05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Glad he didn't charge and stomp you.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif

What fun!

Nanook you sure have gumption girl /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70459-hugs.gif

Nanook
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
It was really exciting to see this moose! It was the first time I had ever seen one when I had a camera with me! Compry I don't know if I was brave or stupid, lol. But I didn't sense any danger at all. There were about 5 of us that had stopped to gawk and he seemed as interested in us as we were in him. I was the only one that got out of the car though, but the others probably didn't have a camera!

Rich, he does look a little thin. We have had a horrific winter and the very worst spring. He should fatten up nicely now though, and get rid of the shaggy gray winter fur that you see hanging from his side.

Hey Tuff Gong, later this summer if it is a he, he will have his antlers back. They shed them in April and grow a new set every year. I THINK it is a boy (bull), because of the way he was acting, like he was curious. That is the kind of behavior that could get him shot. It seems the girls (cows) are more timid and shy to show themselves so.

Wandabe and Bandi, isn't he grand! I was looking for him today when I drove by the spot where he was on saturday. I suppose I will be watching for him every time I drive by there for a long time!

HE is why I don't like driving at night around here. There are so many deer it's like one of those computer driving games trying to avoid the deer, and then there are the moose which I can't een imagine hitting. It would be kinda like hitting a wall I think!

Tuff Gong
05-14-2007, 10:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HE is why I don't like driving at night around here. There are so many deer it's like one of those computer driving games trying to avoid the deer, and then there are the moose which I can't een imagine hitting. It would be kinda like hitting a wall I think! </div></div>

That is my only fear while driving,that I will hit a deer.

Nanook
05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Tuff Gong, it's a valid fear! I don't hit the deer so far, but THREE deer have hit me! Usually when you hit the deer, in the aftermath you know what the hell happened. It is a hell of a shock when they hit you though! Out of nowhere they jump out of a ditch and bounce off the side of the car! The one that REALLY scared me hit my drivers side door. Cruising along and all I knew was there is a huge crashing sound out of the dark!

There once was a couple that lived across the lake. They had a Honda Goldwing. They were cruising along and a moose jumped in front of them. That was the end of them. You couldn't pay me to ride a motorcycle out here at night!

wandaweberg
05-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Quoting Nanook "He is why I don't like driving at night around here. There are so many deer it's like one of those computer driving games trying to avoid the deer, and then there are the moose which I can't een imagine hitting. It would be kinda like hitting a wall I think!"

Yep - hitting a deer will damage your car - hitting a moose will kill you!

Bandana
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I think damask did hit a moose /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif

Mek mi tell her to come post about it....

I know her car mash up, and she did sore for weeks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
But she still alive /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif

Bandana
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Tuff Gong, it's a valid fear! I don't hit the deer so far, but THREE deer have hit me! Usually when you hit the deer, in the aftermath you know what the hell happened. It is a hell of a shock when they hit you though! Out of nowhere they jump out of a ditch and bounce off the side of the car! The one that REALLY scared me hit my drivers side door. Cruising along and all I knew was there is a huge crashing sound out of the dark!

</div></div>

Deer suicide... what a ting
:shakingheadsmiley:

Tuff Gong
05-16-2007, 01:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Tuff Gong, it's a valid fear! I don't hit the deer so far, but THREE deer have hit me! Usually when you hit the deer, in the aftermath you know what the hell happened. It is a hell of a shock when they hit you though! Out of nowhere they jump out of a ditch and bounce off the side of the car! The one that REALLY scared me hit my drivers side door. Cruising along and all I knew was there is a huge crashing sound out of the dark!

There once was a couple that lived across the lake. They had a Honda Goldwing. They were cruising along and a moose jumped in front of them. That was the end of them. You couldn't pay me to ride a motorcycle out here at night! </div></div>

Pretty rough stuff!
IfI lived there I would be drving a Trailer Head to the store....let them run inna dat!

QK13
05-16-2007, 07:25 AM
I once saw the aftermath of a Corvette that hit a medium sized doe, poor thing was killed. The Corvette body was cracked in half.

Nanook
05-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey QK how ya doin. Yeah Corvettes are big fun but they sure aren't built for hitting things like deer!

Bandi, I would love to hear Damask hit a moose story. Glad to hear she survived! I can imagine it wouldn't be much different than hitting a cow or a horse!

Tuff Gong, a lot of people out here have what amounts to cow catchers on the front of their trucks, like what you see on the front of a lot of semi trucks.

WandaBe, so far the deer that have hit me, at least they didn't leave any marks on the car!

I would just love to see this guy again. It was only 4 miles away from where I am so I even find myself watching for him out the window sometimes!

damask
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a FUN treat to spot a Moose in the wild! And even better treat when you just happen to be able to catch him with your camera! Was I afraid he would come and charge me and stomp me for bothering him? No! I was just too excited to be able to snap his photo as he sauntered off.

</div></div>

Dayummm blastid Moose stood up in the middle of the road as if him/her waiting on sumtin just as i came around the bend /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Granted I was jus a likkle teeny weeny bit ova the speed limit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif had to swerve car flip pon the side inna wone ditch /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif dat was scarey. Goodthing someone was in a car behind me an see what happen cause is a lonely type a county road would probably been trapped in the car for a likkle bit. mi still have some pain damn ugly waspitnot cho /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

swedishrasta
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
((((Damask))))
Girl..you were lucky!!! So glad to hear it. I know several people who have had encounters with moose and deer and some of them they weren't that lucky. Car and them all mashed up.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

ohliz
05-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Neat!! I hope to return the favor this summer after my 3 week trip to Alaska /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nanook
05-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow (((Damask))). I am so sorry to hear of your moose encounter but glad it wasn't any worse! I hope you feel better soon!

Hey Swedish, when I was in Sweden I learned that hitting moose on the road is a very common occurance. I didn't see any when I was there travelling over so many places from south to north, but there was a big moose/car incident that happened when I was there. A prominent sports figure was killed from hitting a moose. I can remember the full color full size photos on the front page of the paper of the aftermath, it was some wreck.

ohliz! I am sooo looking forward to hearing all about your Alaska trip and seeing photos! Take lots & lots! I still remember Motby's photos so clearly from when she visited her daughter there. I have loads of friends that migrated to Alaska years back. None of them ever returned except for a visit. They all said...if you go to Alaska for a visit you won't want to come back. I knew they were right so I didn't go, it is just too blastid cold in winter for too long!

swedishrasta
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey Nannook,
I know...scary huh. That is why I said damask was one lucky lady. Moose + car...moose usually wins.

Ohliz...alaska is supposed to be just beautiful. I'm always in awe over those pics that rebel posts....

Sendnuluv
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Nanook: love the picture and I'm sure glad he wasn't the agressive type... I here that they can be quite mean.

I went hiking with some friends on a pretty popular trail. There happen to be a donkey and her baby, they were sooo cute. I thought that I would go over and pet them and love on them... my friends warned me not to, to be honest with you I don't know what got into me, I guess I thought I was the donkey whisperer or something. But man, once I got too close the mamma let me know it, she chased me until I jumped over a little wooded fence. Should have know better... never mess with a mamma and baby. It was a real good laugh and something I have still yet to live down.

Ohliz: WOW, Alaska!!! Do us all a favor and do a trip report down here when you get back. Are you doing the Alaskan cruise thing?? Looking forward to hearing how it all went!

R00TS
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
<span style="color: #996633">Bullwinkle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70377-loveeyes.gif </span>

Jah_Mamma
05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Nanook = brave wooman!!!

Where are his antlers? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Nanook
05-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi SendnLuv! Yes, the moose are known to charge, but I stayed pretty much close enough to my car that I could run for it if I had to!

Rootsie! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gifBullwinkle..

Jah Mamma! His antlers if he is indeed a he, are laying somewhere in the woods. They shed them in April then grow new ones. I am not positive this is a HE though, if it is, it is a younger one because the big males have those throat thingies hanging.

Our Moose are in big trouble, we've lost 2/3rds of the moose population in just the last decade. Instead of living to be around 20, now the average age is somewhere around 5. It is very sad. The cause? Two words...global warming. Moose love temps around 57 degrees, any warmer than that and they start panting and when it gets too hot, they over heat and die. I was so lucky to spot this one, and he may very well be the last moose I ever see!

ohliz
05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
I am not cruising, my father lives there so I am taking the kids for a 3 week visit.

I will take many, many pictures....planning to get another memory card for my camera so I can take a decent amount of video too.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif