PDA

View Full Version : first flutterby

turtledude
05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif ...this is the first one I've seen up here at lattitude 48 this year...and this is the first one I've ever attempted to photograph. He was on this flower for about 15 minutes...probably so drunk on necter he didn't notice me. I took 34 shots in the macro mode and this is the only one that turned out...guess I'll try something different next time. Do people use tripods for this stuff?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/turtlefarmerdude/cid_000501c7a3328a784aa07D483DDDjab.jpg

R00TS
05-31-2007, 01:51 AM
Special photo dude..i can't quit lookin at it

loops
05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
it's very cool...look...who knew butterflies had hair?

SandiF
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
It's a moth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's very cool...look...who knew butterflies had hair? </div></div>

loops
06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
interesting SandiF. How can you tell?

what's the difference between a moth and a butterfly?

Bandana
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SandiF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a moth. </div></div>

Who knew a moth could look so pretty /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif

Turtledude /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70371-jump.gif

Please don't ever stop posting your photography /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif

turtledude
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif OK Bandi....cept now I gotta go learn something about moths!....so much for my attempt at making a "simple" post /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif. Wat a ting!....be back in a while with some info on this creature, I hope. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif

turtledude
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
...this is the closest thing I could find...
Taxonomic group (http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=14&sci=Papilionidae&com=Parnassians%20and%20Swallowtails) ...I think it's a "Pale Swallowtail"

Family: Parnassians and Swallowtails (Papilionidae)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family Description: The Papilionidae belong to the Superfamily Papilionoidea, the true butterflies. Swallowtails are worldwide in distribution and comprise approximately 560 species. They are richest in the tropics, and their brilliant colors make them favorites of butterfly enthusiasts. Many swallowtail species, especially in the tropics, mimic other butterflies that are distasteful, while others are distasteful and cause birds and other vertebrate predators to regurgitate. Swallowtail adults are medium to large and may or may not have tails, while parnassian adults are medium, tailless, and have translucent wings. All adult parnassians and swallowtails have three pairs of walking legs, and adults of all species visit flowers for nectar.

Nanook
06-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I saw your beautiful butterfly as I was dashing out the door to town, LOVE HIM! It is no easy to photograph a flutterby!

I took him for a swallowtail right away, we have those ones here.

GREAT JOB on the macro!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took 34 shots in the macro mode and this is the only one that turned out...guess I'll try something different next time. Do people use tripods for this stuff? </div></div>

Well, I shoot a lot of macro and am forever chasing after bees and flutterbys, for those you just have to hold as steady as you can, a tripod would just be a hindrance. besides, by the time you set it all up, your flutterby would be long gone! It takes practice and to get that shot in 34 tries is not bad at all, at least you have one! Keep at macro and you will get more and more keeper shots as you figure out exactly where your particular camera's lens will focus best.

I've tried the tripod route when shooting flowers, but again, it is more of a hindrance so I just gave up on that idea. Especially after losing my tripod shoe out in my garden somewhere, ugh! The angles just aren't quite there with your camera stuck to a tripod, but if you do have a dead on shot and can use one, your photo will probably be noticeably clearer!

Your black and white fuzzy butterfly is so pretty! lol @ loops, it is amazing what you see in a macro shot that your eyes don't really catch, like fuzzy butterflies! That's what makes them so fun to photograph, especially things like grasshoppers, they are so intricate and amazing!

Tuff Gong
06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtledude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif ...this is the first one I've seen up here at lattitude 48 this year...and this is the first one I've ever attempted to photograph. He was on this flower for about 15 minutes...probably so drunk on necter he didn't notice me. I took 34 shots in the macro mode and this is the only one that turned out...guess I'll try something different next time. Do people use tripods for this stuff? </div></div>

Tripods yes but it is not always possible, given the subject and the urgency.

One other solution is to use a really long prime or zoom that will shoot macro.... so-called Birding Lens, then you can mount it on a tripod and set up a blind a good distance away.

Even shooting close you can go without a tripod but use a Prime Lens in combination with manual focusing.

wandaweberg
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">interesting SandiF. How can you tell?

what's the difference between a moth and a butterfly? </div></div>

Hey Loopsie - I just heard this about a moth and butterfly.

Moth - will rest with its wings DOWN.

Butterfly - rests with its wings UP!

Knew there was a reason I just learned this bit of trivia!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Edited to add: Got so excited about knowing trivia forgot the major reason I was posting was to say, “LOVELY photo Turtle Guy!”

Bandana
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif Wanda

good piece of trivia /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif

turtledude
06-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the tips on doing macro's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif oh, ......and Hi Wandabee! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70459-hugs.gif

Green_Biscuit
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Beautiful Tdude! That is a lovely, hairy winged insect you have there.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Good to see you posting.