• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ice Road Truckin Across Lake Superior

I waited until almost the end of the season before making the trip across lake Superior from the city of Bayfield Wisconsin to Madeline Island this week. The ice was getting thin at only 2 feet thick so it was then or never. The next day turned 40 degrees and made a big melting mess of the road and now the only traffic allowed is the people who live on the island. I think the thinness of the ice made it more exciting than had I gone when it was much thicker and colder.

Since I am selling my farm this year and taking off in my RV, this was a huge & also the last thing on my list of "have to do before I leave" things. It is close to 11 minute crossing, going 10mph across a 2 mile span: Full screen gives a better effect!

Driving across a frozen lake is not on my to do list and so I lived vicariously through you and your truck

“Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Administrator
    You are brave.
    Now that I can take my heart out of my mouth, I can say thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

I had driven on lake Superior before but only around the bay near home. The lake is wolf head shaped and I live pretty much under the wolf's nose where it comes to a point at the end and a border between Mn and Wi, yes I can see Minnesota from here! The freshwater sea, this was a big deal for me and big big fun and if I don't sell and leave here I will go again when it's more frozen in my Honda Accord and do a spin at the shore. Nah... Just kidding I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the ice. The road was in bad shape Thursday, so bad friends decided not to cross but it was 40F above compared to the 12F above Wednesday when I went across.In 24 hours much can change.

mercy. I've seen your pic and read your stories. woman you have two ton balls
    When Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's *art* and *music* - when I do it I'm *wasted* and *have to leave the hardware store*.

near di USA border a watch out fi Canadians :- D
    If any ah unnu eva si mi doing dat, gi mi ah good stiff slap cross di face, caa mi gat tuh bi sleepdriving!
    JA.com member #946 for LIFE!

You all crack me up. The ice road is long closed but the Windsleds are in action until sometime after Easter when the ice finally hopefully goes out. I thought you might enjoy seeing the Windsled in action. Yes it is noisy but only a couple of minutes drive and if I were on it I'd wear ear plugs. I'd love to take a ride on the Widsled but there is a long wait for the return trip and not a lot to do on the Island this time of year unless you live there. They have the Beach Club restaurant near the landing but I no love the food so I'll pass. Anyway, Windsled in action here on a public FB post! Enjoy, maybe this will be more to your liking!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=449528318510557