• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Questions for the christians

I was reading an article on human nature and something in it made me think about all this religion thing and the whole concept of man doing things because they expect some kind of reward,....hence my question is this,.....would you agree that the main underlying concept of christianity is that man is unable to accept the finality of death and therefore clings to anything that he thinks will offer him another crack at life when he dies...??

My second question is this.....if the "eternal life" clause was taken out the equation,..would you honestly be as robust in your adherence to christianity,....if it was proven beyond all doubt that when you die you stay dead,....no ressurection,no afterlife,no milk and honey,....would you still pursue your faith with the same fervour...?

bigger badder and browner !

Re: Questions for the christians

The 'carrot' option is only half the story. The other half is the 'big stick'. I'd wager more Christians pretend to be good because they fear hellfire and brimstone than because they love milk sweetened with bee vomit.
    Caribbean Dictionary: http://wiwords.com

In my opinion thats a very large part of it,..the fear factor,as a boy this fear factor was a very big motivator for me,..the prospect of going to "hell" wasnt an option for me,....I wanted to go to the "other" place which seems much nicer,......they were even giving away complimentary cups of milk and honey when you arrive at the gate.

So are the question too difficult...?

Neve mind,...the deafening silence tell me all I need to know,........and what I`ve always suspected about religion,....that its driven by fear.

. im waiting for someone to answer you with scripture

belief is not proof..look at the word---do you believe in god. there would be no belief if there were proof.
    think about it- do you believe in cars?-well, no-because we dont need to believe because we know they exist.

its a whole brainwash scheme to give people false hope-and your right -FEAR. people believe in god only for there good so in turn is selfish in itself.
    mrs jones gets cancer. all of a sudden she finds religion.because she fears dying early. and perhaps knowing she going to kick the bucket, she (out of fear from the religious institution embeedded in peoples heads for centuries, fears going to a dark place or wanting "eternal life".
    to me its like believing in the tooth fairy
    Im not in denial, I just refuse to see your reality...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H_O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. im waiting for someone to answer you with scripture

</div></div>

I dont belive there is a single &quot;christian&quot; on this board that can answer honestly without incriminating themself,...with or without scriptures....hence the silence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H_O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. im waiting for someone to answer you with scripture

</div></div>

I dont belive there is a single &quot;christian&quot; on this board that can answer honestly without incriminating themself,...with or without scriptures....hence the silence. </div></div>im not going to say i believe your right. i know your right.
    Newt, dont blame them for not wanting to answer. there waiting to consult with there pastor, or flipping through the King James edition
    Im not in denial, I just refuse to see your reality...

Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtriment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion thats a very large part of it,..the fear factor,as a boy this fear factor was a very big motivator for me,..the prospect of going to &quot;hell&quot; wasnt an option for me,....I wanted to go to the &quot;other&quot; place which seems much nicer,......they were even giving away complimentary cups of milk and honey when you arrive at the gate. </div></div>
    Maybe the &quot;fear factor&quot; motivates some, but if it does, that approach is wrong. But as with everything else, people react and respond differently to things, so that's to be expected.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtriment</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H_O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. im waiting for someone to answer you with scripture

</div></div>

I dont belive there is a single &quot;christian&quot; on this board that can answer honestly without incriminating themself,...with or without scriptures....hence the silence. </div></div>
    You know as well as I do that while the above may be provocative, it makes no sense. Personally, I didn't see the thread until just now.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    You know as well as I do that while the above may be provocative, it makes no sense. Personally, I didn't see the thread until just now. </div></div>

Lol,..so what you saying CEW,..I`m provoking you,....anyway,..glad to see you take up the gauntlet,you know I always have respect for your point of view,agree with you that different people,different approac,and the fear factor may be a motivator for <span style="font-weight: bold"> some</span>.