• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Questions for the christians

(((Newt)))

Reward or after life, neither one is a driving force for my belief and faith. I live in the today (right now) I love knowing that their is a higher power than me for a lot of different reasons.

This probably didnt answer your question!
    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    V.Frank

Well, Newtriment (love the new name btw) I grew up in the church from birth until I was about 12 or so when I came to the States. I was made to go to church and for the most part had an okay experience. (What kid didn't like to go to church to see the grown ups ketch inna spirit and spin dem roll? ) Throughout my teen years, especially the latter part, I didn't go, simply because I didn't have to and I wanted to enjoy the world. After a time, I felt a serious void as if something was missing and I knew that it was because my churchgoing waned dramatically.

I started going again but not with the intention of becoming saved. I made the decision to become a Christian not because of the fear of hell whatsoever. It's to a point now where it's about my relationship with God and the way I treat my fellow man. In all honesty, I'm not motivated niether by heaven or hell. What I am motivated by is the challenge of bettering myself,leading a life that's pleasing to God and while here on Earth and in this life to try to push others to be their best.

If someone was supposed to tell me tomorrow that there's no hell or heaven, I certainly wouldn't have a problem. Just don't tell me there's no God.
    "I may be silent, but I'm thinking. I may not talk, but don't mistake me for a wall."

Do I want to go to hell? No
    Do I want to avoid hell? Yes
    Do I serve God simply for that reason? No

So Why PDB? Well my name kinda says it all. Purpose-Driven Bredda - I know why I'm here and because it is wrapped up in God, I seek to do what He wants me to do. That's why I do what I do. I try to make sure that everything that I do contributes positively to what my purpose is. That's why I serve the Lord. That's why I'm Christian......and hey, the benefits ain't that bad either!!!
    <span style="font-size: 14pt">Ecclesiastes 12:13</span>
    <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-family: 'Georgia'">Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear GOD and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.</span></span>

How about just doing or not doing things because it is the right thing to do?
    <span style="font-style: italic">But si yah! Yu nuh easy! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/704555_dwl.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]</span>

PDB, do you believe in a physical place called hell, complete with a fallen prince of angels, whom God allows to wreak havoc and horror on all aspects of his creation?
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDB_Again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I want to go to hell? No
    Do I want to avoid hell? Yes
    Do I serve God simply for that reason? No

So Why PDB? Well my name kinda says it all. Purpose-Driven Bredda - I know why I'm here and because it is wrapped up in God, I seek to do what He wants me to do. That's why I do what I do. I try to make sure that everything that I do contributes positively to what my purpose is. That's why I serve the Lord. That's why I'm Christian......and hey, the benefits ain't that bad either!!! </div></div>
    I noticed you ignored the other half of the equation. Would you still be so wrapped up in god if he didn't bribe you?

Plainly: If there were no threat of hell or promise of eternal life or promise earthly rewards, would you still follow the principles of the Bible and do what god (supposedly) wants you to do?
    Caribbean Dictionary: http://wiwords.com

The primary reason for accepting the Lord into my life was to avoid hell. But as I learned and developed a deeper relationship with Him, I realized that there was more to it than that. Instead of approaching it, and paying attention to what I SHOULDN'T or COULDN'T do, I focus on what I SHOULD and what I CAN.

Why are you assuming that I deliberately ignored the second half a de question? Never assume my friend - assumptions are based on neither truth nor fact. I shall go up a top and look for the second part a de question.
    <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-family: 'Georgia'">Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear GOD and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtriment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    My second question is this.....if the &quot;eternal life&quot; clause was taken out the equation,..would you honestly be as robust in your adherence to christianity,....if it was proven beyond all doubt that when you die you stay dead,....no ressurection,no afterlife,no milk and honey,....would you still pursue your faith with the same fervour...?

</div></div>

Okay so that's like asking, if I really wasn't gonna get a degree after the 120 some odd credits, would I even bother going to school? The thing here is that, the law of sowing and reaping whether Biblical or not applies to everything. It's as universal as you can get. So, even though your question is valid, it's....what's the word? Let's just say this, what you sow, you gwine reap.

Glory to God.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDB_Again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The primary reason for accepting the Lord into my life was to avoid hell. But as I learned and developed a deeper relationship with Him, I realized that there was more to it than that. Instead of approaching it, and paying attention to what I SHOULDN'T or COULDN'T do, I focus on what I SHOULD and what I CAN.</div></div>That's all well and good, but it's not what I asked. What I asked was &quot;If there were no threat of hell or promise of eternal life or promise earthly rewards, would you still follow the principles of the Bible and do what god (supposedly) wants you to do?&quot;. It's a pretty straightforward question.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you assuming that I deliberately ignored the second half a de question? Never assume my friend - assumptions are based on neither truth nor fact. I shall go up a top and look for the second part a de question. </div></div>You are assuming that I assumed. I merely made an observation and asked a question based on that observation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDB_Again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay so that's like asking, if I really wasn't gonna get a degree after the 120 some odd credits, would I even bother going to school?</div></div>This is a perfectly reasonable question. I'd wager most people would not bother with school where it not for the degree at the end of the line and the associated potential for economic advancement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing here is that, the law of sowing and reaping whether Biblical or not applies to everything. It's as universal as you can get. So, even though your question is valid, it's....what's the word? Let's just say this, what you sow, you gwine reap.</div></div>Not a ting go like dis.

Look around you, the wicked prosper and reap success all the time. The righteous reap suffering all the time. A man just took on a job to clean up the JUTC for $1 in annual pay - look how well that turned out for him and his family. You do not always reap what you sow in this life. It sucks, but that's reality of it. The Biblical approach to resolving this is to promise that you will 'eventually' reap what you sow, if not in this life, then in the next. This promise is particularly attractive to the weak, poor, downtrodden and uneducated (and probably why they are religious in greater than average percentages).

That's the basis of Newtribun's question: If you take that away would christians still be christians.

What's interesting to me is not that people are bribed or threatened into doing things (this is, after all, human nature), but that so many are so uncomfortable with admitting &quot;i'm in this church business because of what I can get out of it&quot;.