• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kingston to St Bess via Blue Mountains

will likely go to jamaica this year. am thinking of the following route:

- land in kingston - stay at altamont or some cheaper guest house

- travel to blue mountains and do a climb - stay at whitfield hall couple of days

- head to St. Mary, visit Firefly, maybe rafting - stay at Golden Seas

- head to Santa Cruz to visit family, Bluefields beach - stay in Black River? there used to be a hotel in Lacovia but for the life of me can't remember the name, maybe it's out of business

- Treasure Beach - stay where? i remember seeing at guest house there in 2006

- back to Kingston/altamont.

Anyone has any recommendations for places to stay, esp. in St. Elizabether that's under $100/night?
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Re: Kingston to St Bess via Blue Mountains

yes mi will go ask mi parents tonight and come back.
    &quot;Spit inna the sky, it will fall inna ya eye&quot;...don't forsake God.

thanks, HIMdaughter. your people come from down that way (St. Bess)?

Yes Black River... Vineyard and soon to be residing in Southfield.
    &quot;Spit inna the sky, it will fall inna ya eye&quot;...don't forsake God.

There used to be a hotel in Black River (actually just before you go over the bridge into Black River I believe the district is called Crane but the last time I was there there was a lot of sand flies and mosquitos so you should probably should avoid that. What about staying in White House Westmoreland that's not too far from Black River itself. If I remembered correctly there is also a hotel on Main Street just before you get to the hospital.
    Never regret getting old as it a privilege denied to many - Anonymous

Administrator

There are some hotels/guest houses in the Blufields beach area as well HemGee or are you looking to stay specifically in the black river area?
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Invercauld Great House and hotel is in Black River.

Administrator

Sounds like a great trip MTG!

Especially the mountain climb. Will you be driving? The road from Mavis Bank to Whitfield Hall is 4x drive only and takes some skill to navigate. You'll probably be better off leaving your vehicle in Mavis Bank and hiring someone to take you the rest of the way. If you are not driving, organise a tour out of Kingston, and they will provide a transport and a guide for your hike. What kind of hike are you planning? The Peak, the ridge, something more ambitious, or just a hike along the coffee trails?

Firefly is one of my favourite places on earth, so you will definately enjoy that. Best to go around 4 in the afternoon, where the sun is positioned behind you, and you get the best view and the best pictures.

If you want to spend some time in Bluefields, you'll probably be better off staying there instead of Black River. It's quite a drive. There are plenty T.B. fanatics on the Board so I will leave it to them to recomend a place to stay there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St_Bess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    There used to be a hotel in Black River (actually just before you go over the bridge into Black River I believe the district is called Crane but the last time I was there there was a lot of sand flies and mosquitos so you should probably should avoid that. What about staying in White House Westmoreland that's not too far from Black River itself. If I remembered correctly there is also a hotel on Main Street just before you get to the hospital.

</div></div>
    well, it would be terribly disloyal for me to stay in Westmoreland when mi ppl come from St. Bess, don't? i really want to stay as near to Santa Cruz as i can so i can get the family visiting out of the way without too much hassle before heading to TB, but there's just no decent place to stay in Santa, which is a pity given the size of the town. There's a place called Champion (i think) near Leeds which is just a stone's throw from one of my cousins, but mi hear di hotel is a lickle roachy.

maybe i should consider mandeville as a base before going to TB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some hotels/guest houses in the Blufields beach area as well HemGee or are you looking to stay specifically in the black river area? </div></div>
    st. bess would be my option,and bluefields is in westmoreland. have to confess mi spirit is not really taking black river, though, it's too sleepy, i think.

didn't Libby used to run a place in Lacovia (which is very near to Santa)? what is that place name?