• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Kingston to St Bess via Blue Mountains

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamaicanMe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Invercauld Great House and hotel is in Black River. </div></div>
    thanks, JM. is this that historic place? first place in JA to get electricity and all that? worth considering...
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a great trip MTG!

Especially the mountain climb. Will you be driving? The road from Mavis Bank to Whitfield Hall is 4x drive only and takes some skill to navigate. You'll probably be better off leaving your vehicle in Mavis Bank and hiring someone to take you the rest of the way. If you are not driving, organise a tour out of Kingston, and they will provide a transport and a guide for your hike. What kind of hike are you planning? The Peak, the ridge, something more ambitious, or just a hike along the coffee trails?

Firefly is one of my favourite places on earth, so you will definately enjoy that. Best to go around 4 in the afternoon, where the sun is positioned behind you, and you get the best view and the best pictures.

If you want to spend some time in Bluefields, you'll probably be better off staying there instead of Black River. It's quite a drive. There are plenty T.B. fanatics on the Board so I will leave it to them to recomend a place to stay there. </div></div>

Magic, haven't decided yet if i'll rent a car this trip (i may do it for the st. bess portion), so i'm looking to make arrangements for being driven up to Whitfield for the tour. I'm not as fit as i was 25 years ago when i first did the peak from Mavis Bank to the top in the dead of night (14 hours it took), so i'm looking for a shorter journey this time.

I didn't know about the alternate hikes to coffee grounds ( ) or to the ridge - I'll look into those. Thanks!

i'm thinking maybe i'll just skip bluefields altogether.

Your going to Golden Seas!
    I'm sooo jelous

Keep the faith . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some hotels/guest houses in the Blufields beach area as well HemGee or are you looking to stay specifically in the black river area? </div></div>
    st. bess would be my option,and bluefields is in westmoreland. have to confess mi spirit is not really taking black river, though, it's too sleepy, i think.

didn't Libby used to run a place in Lacovia (which is very near to Santa)? what is that place name?
    </div></div>
    Libby used to run Iverclaude (? spelling) in Black river.

There is a place in Parotee I can't think of the name (Saw on TB .net / clicked on where to stay then on around TB or outside of TB) But I am leary of swimming where the black river meets the sea (crocs). There are many places in TB too.
    I googled Bluefelds and saw a few likkle cottages and guest houses.

It is beyond TB

Idler's Rest

Idler's Rest is located right on the beach in Parottee, just outside of Black River. Its air-conditioned guest rooms are spacious and luxurious, with a rustic d&amp;#65533;cor displaying a palette of vivid colors that allow the visitor to view Black River's golden sunsets and secluded beaches.

For more information, see the site or contact them via 876-965-9000 or by email directly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamaicanMe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Invercauld Great House and hotel is in Black River. </div></div>
    thanks, JM. is this that historic place? first place in JA to get electricity and all that? worth considering...
    </div></div>

Yes, that's the place... I only visited briefly (stopped there for lunch) while passing through so I don't know what it's like to stay there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R00TS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your going to Golden Seas!
    I'm sooo jelous

</div></div>

i think it was your trip report that made me decide to try this place, roots. i drove past it last time and had no idea it had that kind of a beach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamaicanMe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamaicanMe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Invercauld Great House and hotel is in Black River. </div></div>
    </div></div>

Yes, that's the place... I only visited briefly (stopped there for lunch) while passing through so I don't know what it's like to stay there. </div></div>
    the trip advisor reports are pretty brutal.

There is actually accommodation right smack dab in the middle of my district, quite close to where i grew up, but unfortunately, the rooms were a little overpriced when i checked them out two years ago. They wanted 50 pounds a night ($100/night). the rooms were nice but for some reason had little privacy. i felt i was intruding on the owners' personal space.

Chisholm's Retreat

www.jamaicaescapes.com may give yu some ideas