• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Lucia, Cuba

St. Lucia, Cuba

In addition to returning to Jamaica 2 winters ago Lucy and I have also been to St Lucia and Cuba in recent years. First time to St. Lucia. Very nice, laid back, friendly, relaxed. The place we stayed had a sound system running all day and well into the night. They played WAY more Jamaican music...especially classic Reggae...than ANY place I've stayed in JA over these past 20 years or so. In St. Lucia it's as if you're visiting the West Indies. In Jamaica tourists are fed WAY more T and T than Yard when it comes to music. I even took over the PA in St. Lucia and spun chunes until they needed the mic back to make announcements about the evening programs they had on tap for the guests. Good fun. Nice people.

Cuba was last year...first time back since the early 90s. BIG changes. Loads of growth and improvements for the guests. The food still has a ways to go to reach the standards set by other tourist destinations. Again NICE people. Very warm and friendly. Amazing the work they've done and the plans they have to refurbish Havana. Just don't stand around any of the vintage cars which line the downtown streets and the boulevard. The owners will expect money.

As I am now a golfer [just starting my 7th year at it] I can tell you that golf in Cuba and Jamaica was better than in St Lucia but still it was worth it to take the clubs and play.

If it's hotel stays you're looking for...I'd say you'll get more Jamaica elsewhere than on the rock itself...until you walk out the front gates. THIS is where Jamaica needs to refresh its 'welcoming' committee. The good people in JA are all too often being misrepresented to the guests who come to visit.

Jamaican hotels have sold the country out.
    ROOTS REGGAE and the music it influenced *R U L E S*. Anything else is, at best, 2nd best.

Administrator
    where did you stay in st Lucia?
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

Gros Islet Rich. Way up in the northern tip. A VERY long taxi ride there from the airport which is inconveniently situated at the opposite end of the island. Still...it gave us a quick look at LOADS of St. Luica. They seem to have a 'plan' there...and...it seems to be working.
    ROOTS REGGAE and the music it influenced *R U L E S*. Anything else is, at best, 2nd best.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggae plus View Post
    Gros Islet Rich. Way up in the northern tip. A VERY long taxi ride there from the airport which is inconveniently situated at the opposite end of the island. Still...it gave us a quick look at LOADS of St. Luica. They seem to have a 'plan' there...and...it seems to be working.
    ok ..My wife is from St lucia...they live half way between Castries and Gros Islet

When i go i prefer to Connect in Barbados and land in Castries

Good tip.

Administrator
    so how is the golf game? the course at Cap estate is tough

Dishwasher
    Where are the photos?
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

I played the 9 holer next to one of the Sandals properties there Rich. Pretty soggy course. No pics X-Man. That's Lucy's area of expertise. [except in Cuba where her camera battery died the 2nd day we were there...and she fogot her charger]

Nice report R+.

Sorry to hear that you don't have photos to share.

I have never been to St. Lucia but it is on my list.

My last visit to Cuba took me to the place of my mother's birth. Not a place tourist would venture to. I came away a very dissapointed. Sometimes you are better to leave things to the imagination! Not a place I would want to return to.

Love Cuba on the whole though. Love the Vinales Valley and Pinar Del Rio area.
    Last edited by My Looh; 05-09-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Dishwasher
    My Looh, do you still have family in Cuba? Did you visit Havana. Visited there and it is a photographers dream however when you hear the stories from the people...
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com