• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rental Car?

Re: Rental Car?

ok ok - my mistake .... thanks for correcting me ~

Gold ... Platinum ... I have none of those

just my "plastic" check card Visa

I understood someone to say they use a Platinum sumthin and they do not have to take additional coverage - it is covered by their card ~

regardless ... Island is the best price I found, easy to deal with right at the airport

Bandi - have fun!! It has worked out just fine for us.

hi guys

i've rented now three years in a row, twice per year.

mbna platinum credit card(canada) cuts the deposit to 500 and covers the extra daily insurance(dvw) . . . check which cards they accept from the usa.

the cars have been excellent . . . i generally take pictures of the car on the lot, all the way around just in case there is a discrepancy.

i reserve the car on line, the ladies at the counter have the paperwork in a flash. i've done the same for my november reach.
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

Bandanna, you've tweaked my interest. I might have to take the plunge next reach. I mean I drive for a living, and I have driven in New York. So tell me those of you who have driven in Jamaica, how hard could it be??????????????????
    Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bandanna, you've tweaked my interest. I might have to take the plunge next reach. I mean I drive for a living, and I have driven in New York. So tell me those of you who have driven in Jamaica, how hard could it be?????????????????? </div></div>

It really isn't hard if you stay on the new hwy., but be prepared to have many vehicles pass you, if you go the speed limit and I would advise NOT to speed....most of the hwy from airport to Duncans Bay is 80 kph but there are some populated areas that are 50kph and some are not marked all that well, so be careful.

On back roads you just have to be totally focused on watching for potholes, because they ARE there!....reason I don't like driving is because I have to focus so hard on the road that I miss most of the scenery!

Orbra - wouldn't that just be a hoot .... there will be NO STOPPING you once you get going with your own ride!!

JaJewel - same reason I drive the main roads only for now. I simply do not want to miss seeing anything - that would be wicked ... me gazing pon the scenery while slipping off the road/ridge ~

all of this adventure - thanks to the Platinum carrying/no insurance taking Jitters ~ YeeHaa!! so glad I took the nudge!!

In honesty I am a pretty good driver have driven on the the left side in other countries, but I was always discouraged from renting cars in certain areas because of the human factor as in theft, vandalism, etc. ,but that happens here also, I think I might bite the bullet.

How do you think I'd look in a red Jimmy. LOL
    Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif[/img]

good morning ladies

ok, driving in ja is not any more difficult than driving at home. in fact, jamaican drivers are very curtious to us foreigners. i have to admit, first time driving alone i might have been sweating and gripping the steering wheel to death but it soon becomes natural.

have driven all around jamaica, main roads, back roads, blue mountains and more.

the most terrofying part is the &quot;overtakers&quot; . . . they tend to pass and start to move in front of your vehicle before clearing you. i've learned how to deal with that.

portland, st. thomas, has the worst pot hole conditions hands down. you the driver will learn to: talk, drink something and gaze while driving. and you will learn to lean on the horn. i use my horn at home a lot more now.

ladies, take the plunge, the worth of a car in jamaica is immesurable.

edited to add: i rent the cheapest car a yantis (sp?)
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

Have access to my own cars there now so need to rent.

But when I used to..my dad used to call an smaddy come a de airport an meet mi wid de rental an mi drop it off back a de airport inna one lot.
    R Kelly all summer long *sigh* [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

Bandi, u should fare well once u staying ova west side on the highway (good roads)

easy driving as long as u stay on the correct side of the road
    R Kelly all summer long *sigh* [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

Check card company if you are waiving the insurance. Years ago I rented cars every week all over the world and asumed that my amex card covered insurance everywhere. After an acident I found out that amex had fine print that excluded only 2 countries. Jamaica was one of them. This was from national and I have since used island if I need a car. I did not have any acidents so I don't know thier policy.