• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone

so at work I have the opportunity to travel to Sierra Leone for a few days in November.

The conference is at Bintumani Hotel, the country's largest with 150 rooms, suites and villas. Many of the reviews are bad though.

Anyway, at virtual travellor I saw this interesting piece:
    Languages: English (official, regular use limited to literate minority), Mende (principal vernacular in the south), Temne (principal vernacular in the north), <span style="font-weight: bold">Krio (English-based Creole, spoken by the descendants of freed Jamaican slaves who were settled in the Freetown area, a lingua franca and a first language for 10% of the population but understood by 95%)</span>

I would like to visit Africa, but am nervous about Sierra Leone - has anyone been there?

''to learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.''
    Voltaire

Re: Sierra Leone

Looking forward to hearing about this. Only beleive about half of those reviews mangoskin. Did you check tripadvisor?
    Keep the faith . .

I am a big world traveller, but to be honest, I would be nervous as well about this destination... would I avoid it if offered the opportunity?? Likely not. I wouldn't take my daughter as I usually do, but I would go. Just take a lot of precautions, listen to the local people about curfews and places not to go.
    Also, I would adhere to your government's website for travel advisories (In Canada we have that anyway).
    Also, Lonely Planet Thorntree forum might be a place where you could get soome solid information from some experienced travellers to the region.
    If you do go - please show us and share with us what you can when you return - and most of all STAY SAFE!!
    Good things come to those who wait

i went in 83 before all the troubles. at the time it was a quiet rather bacwaterish place. met some krio (creole) folks who held themselves a little apart from the other africans. don't know if that's the case today. the krio sounded very much like patwa, except for some odd reason seemed to have more spanish words.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Administrator

Use to have a co-worker from there. I heard it's nice.
    I would go if I were you.

Administrator

so Mangoskin..did you go?
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

Administrator

An if yuh nuh go post pikcha an trip report an you went still mi suggest yuh neva tell wi so.

LOL
    no I didnt get to go after all

I hope I get the chance to go somewhere in Africa in the near future though
    ''to learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.''
    Voltaire

your pm box full up or i would have said happy new year

Oh, pity you didn't get to go......

I have heard Freetown is a great place, great beaches.....

Yea, dunno if it is still dangerous.

Have a friend from there, but he left before the war which probably saved his life (or limbs!).

I also worked for Medécins sans Frontiéres (Doctors without Borders) who were there during the war. They were forbidden entry through Freetown so they just went in through the northern border with Guinea (that's why they are &quot;without borders&quot. They are also in Congo at the moment. Amazing organisation.

West Africa is an amazing place to go to. Have been in Senegal, Mali and Gambia, travelling 3 months. Ahum, met my (now ex) husband in Mali, which is where he comes from.

If you want to check out some amazing photos of Mali surf here:
    http://www.dogon-lobi.ch/index_1280.htm

also, check these sites:
    http://www.festivalsegou.org/homepage.htm

http://www.festival-au-desert.org/

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck