• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

Blacksmith Cottage at Halfway Tree

Has anyone every heard of a Blacksmith cottage that was once at Halfway Tree? If so please come give me the scoop.

Also, what is a sawyer?

What is a needlewomen?

a sawyer was a person who used a saw...to cut boards from trees... principally.....before power...
    a needewoman... a seamstress/ dressmaker/ embroiderer before there were sewing machines....
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

...and what about the Blacksmith cottage. Yes I set up so I could view your answer to this one. I found a very old birth certificate of a cousin who was born at the Blacksmith cottage at Halfway Tree...very odd. Yes he was a blacksmith.

I am also seeing shoemakers, tailors, dressmakers, washerwomen, laundresses. masons, and cigarmakers as professions.

While we are on the subject, I must say people had a very...man I don't know what to say it....peculiar lifestyle in Jamaica in the late 19th century. Most odd. I find it very hard to wrap my brain around it.
    Last edited by Tropicana; 10-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.

I knew the "last" blacksmith. His surname was Russell.

So tell me about this Blacksmith cottage. Is it still there. A relative was born there in the late 1800s? I saw it on his birth certificate. I have some other questions for you since you know Kingston but I will PM you.
    Last edited by Tropicana; 10-07-2014 at 10:34 PM.

How many Blacksmith's lived at the Blacksmith cottage?

What the heck is Baga Moija, Malvern Ave.?

Administrator
    back in the day (specially out in the country - and back then half way tree was country) there were no street addresses so homes often ad names. My take is that "the blacksmith cottage" was so called because that is where the blacksmith lived.
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

Got it. Seems that other blacksmith's lived at that location after he died. I wonder if the house is still standing. Very intriguing.

That was a most peculiar family. I am descended from a brother of the Blacksmith. I believe the Blacksmith was an outside child but I am not sure.

The blacksmith's son got a housemaid pregnant.........and married her when he was on his death bed. It says right on the marriage certificate that he had declared that he was "on the point of death". He died a few days later. It appears that she later had a child for the blacksmith's brother or one of the blacksmith's other sons.... both married.....

She would have had to have been pregnant for over a year if it was the same guy she married (who died) as the next baby had the same surname as her deceased husband and the name that shows up on that child's marriage certificate as his father is not her deceased husband's name.

Most odd. Very complicated. Total drama.

I do not understand for the life of me understand how these people conducted their affairs....no pun intended. Most peculiar state of affairs...oops ...again, no pun intended.
    Last edited by Tropicana; 10-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    back in the day (specially out in the country - and back then half way tree was country) there were no street addresses so homes often ad names. My take is that "the blacksmith cottage" was so called because that is where the blacksmith lived.
    naw itr was the Coopers house... the blacksmith lived at Cartman house, the Cooper lived at the nightwatchman house....
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512