• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Does God have a language?

well, in art school we were taught to sometimes stop thinking in any modality other than visual.

in some meditative states in ch'an buddhism, you attain a kind of mental state in which thoughts sort of flutter out...you are left just being. I've only hit that a few times it is called 'no-mind.'

but clearly the mind is active, if we grew up with no language we would still have higher cognitive function...perhaps you are right and we need some new words.

animal 'languages' and signs had to evolve and grow from smaller beginnings...genetics apparently have a bit to do with this as well, as scientists have manipulated some genes in finches which render their noises unintelligible to other finches, so one has to wonder how exactly did they gain their 'languages.'
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

do dreams roll out in language and are dreams thinking, or do we translate the visuals into language after the fact when we are consciously attempting to grip with them...
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

hey 40...are you a fan of NPR by any chance?

there is going to be a show on languages that are on the verge of extinction which I thought you would find fascinating.

also found this on the site:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14537549

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    LOL. God said and I quote from the bible &quot;let there be light&quot;... and there was light etc. so God had to have spoken a language for humans since creation to undertand what he said?? Isn't it?
    I wonder who/what God was talking to/with?
    Himself? </div></div>
    I do not think it was literally meant. The fact is the power come from the word. Hence, in the name of Jesus, just the name.
    Light had to be named for it to &quot;be&quot;, God had to be name for him to be. He is the head of the hierarchy. Humans had to have a language to create God to create Light. I also believe that nothingness is the head of the hierachy otherwise it is impossible to logically explain any Thing.

Ask modern* science how light was created. Sometimes I find it dumb to take the purely physical route to explain everything.
    But ask an obeah man to create light, what will he do? na chant light? God was talking to light and whatever he was creating </div></div>
    I was merely playing devil's advocate. It was not meant literally. The guys down here are used to how I put my points across. However your comment on god talking to light is funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, in art school we were taught to sometimes stop thinking in any modality other than visual.</div></div>
    Just had a flashback to an bit of a story about alchemy, and how you made lead to gold was to stir molten lead while not thinking of the word rhinoceros.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    in some meditative states in ch'an buddhism, you attain a kind of mental state in which thoughts sort of flutter out...you are left just being. I've only hit that a few times it is called 'no-mind.'</div></div>
    For sure meditation has some real effects. I recall a few years ago there was a spate of news reports (link) about gamma brain waves and lasting benefits of meditation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    but clearly the mind is active, if we grew up with no language we would still have higher cognitive function...perhaps you are right and we need some new words.</div></div>
    Well, we have many fascinating stories of feral people. They get along after a fashion, and always imitate in a general way the animals that helped them make it through those vulnerable years, but they never really &quot;get&quot; language. And then there is Helen Keller, who did get language.

animal 'languages' and signs had to evolve and grow from smaller beginnings...genetics apparently have a bit to do with this as well, as scientists have manipulated some genes in finches which render their noises unintelligible to other finches, so one has to wonder how exactly did they gain their 'languages.' </div></div>
    There's got to be some &quot;urge to imitate&quot; the latest meme that is passing through the community that we eventually organize... er something?
    Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey 40...are you a fan of NPR by any chance?

there is going to be a show on languages that are on the verge of extinction which I thought you would find fascinating.

also found this on the site:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14537549
    </div></div>
    I am a fan of NPR, but I missed this story... thanks.

There is a wonderful novel called Riddley Walker written by Russel Hoban. It's a post Apocalypse novel, and Mr. Hoban makes up a new language that the reader must get their head around. link
    Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed...

That stuff blows me away. I recall a documentary about elephants where an elephant comes across the skeleton of another elephant, that he knew, that has been slaughtered for it's tusks. The elephant carefully gathered the scattered bones and brought them together.

To me that video said so much about memory, and conversation in the mind of the elephant. Googleing around I found this little reference... http://www.elephantfriends.org/mind.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed... </div></div>

What about dolphins?
    Chimps?
    Whales?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed... </div></div>

What about dolphins?
    Chimps?
    Whales?
    </div></div>

My friend has a parrot. It has a vocab of over 400 words at least. I would swear it's speaking is NOT random, nor simply mimicking.

I alway thought it would be cool to be able to sign language with an ape. That must be insane.