• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: La Habana Cuba

Re: La Habana Cuba

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curmudgeon_Milo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMama</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so funny to see, washing hanging up all over Havana. Bet their carbon footprint is quite small, no dryers and they are not allowed out of the country!!! so no flights either. Such a bizarre country.....there is no public transport to the airport in Habana...cos no need for it anyway, no-one going out and only tourists coming in......

</div></div>

Yeah Marielle, Thats what I found I didnt much like about Cuba...just the whole &quot;run down&quot; sorta look to it all. The antique cars, the laundry hanging off the buildings and the buildings themselves so dirty. My boys and I went to Jibacoa, not too far from Havana, last summer and couldnt wait for the 7th day to come. </div></div>

Jibacoa is a world away from the &quot;real Cuba'. A lovely little beach area with two resorts. I could snorkel all day there. Did you stay at the Breezes or the Cameleon?

I'm sure one thing the visit to Havana accomplished was to open your children's eyes to how others live and give them an appreciation for how fortunate they are to live in Canada. Unfortunately, there are those in Africa and Asia who would look at life in Havana as pretty good. </div></div>

True ting Curmu...we stayed at Cameleon Villas. Nice villas, clean and such but somehow we felt a bit not like our normal vacation.
    Final destination...&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Jamaica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curmudgeon_Milo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Curmudgeon_Milo
    I have visited a seaside town just a few minutes outside of Havana called Guanabo. Sounds like it could be the same place.

Love the pictures! Brings back many memories. </div></div>

a, thanks for the compliment. Yes, Guanabo, I know it - tho haven't made it up there yet.... It's the Havanan beach resort, up from Santa Maria del Mar, about 12 miles outside the city......?
    Well, we passed thru S.M. del Mar on the way from the airport in Varadero - actually nearer Matanzas - to Havana. Didn't really get a nice feel to it. A total other extreme to a European beach town/village. Totally empty of people, places, shops, terraces, cafés, beach bars......(well, actually didn't make it to the beach but didn't see any either looking out to it...). Met a french girl, who said she went and there is one bar there, and takes forever to get anything.....

That's the one thing in Cuba. No incentive to do anything......

</div></div>

I agree about the lack of incentive. It is evident in almost every aspect of Cuban life. Yes, I know Santa Maria del Mar, I have stayed at that Soviet era hotel (what a mistake that was!)(disgusting!). You could walk on the beach from that hotel up to Guanabo and back. The beach is lovely but as you say, pretty deserted. The bar you describe had better service when I visited, probably because I was the only customer, LOL! The other hotel in Santa Maria del Mar is much nicer and if I ever return, that is most certainly where I would stay. It caters to mostly Italian tourist and everything about it is much nicer than the Soviet style hotel. [/quote]

Yea, know that hotel (I think), is it quite small, on the road next to the beach? Two old German guys were dropped off there.

Would like to do that walk one time.....all the way up the beach. Reminds me of Gambia, walking along the beach from Fajara

http://www.leybato.abc.gm/

to Kololi

http://www.kairabahotel.com/

with lots of beach bars to stop off at along the way......would take about 4 hours (dunno how many miles).

Are there no beach bars along the way then to Guanabo, except that one??

Brazil is great for beach bars too!! Caiparinha!!
    Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck

[quote=Marielle
    Brazil is great for beach bars too!! Caiparinha!!
    [/quote]

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck

Administrator

bump for technical reasons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this lady is famous, has her photo in the Lonely Planet Cuba book

</div></div>

Wait a minute.....is this who Maxine is modeled after?
    IF you are sittting around waiting to see me fail, your [censored] is going to get mighty sore..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love this one! and love her necklace. have actually entered this in a photo competition.....first prize is 2 flights!!!!!!

</div></div>

Oh GOD what a shot
    IF you are sittting around waiting to see me fail, your [censored] is going to get mighty sore..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and ran into this street theatre (reminds me of Amsterdam in the summer...)

</div></div>

ooooooooooooooooooooooo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, good to see that freedom of artistic expression is tolerated there.....

</div></div>
    National Geographic worthy I swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, that is all I can say

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marilyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marielle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this lady is famous, has her photo in the Lonely Planet Cuba book

</div></div>

Wait a minute.....is this who Maxine is modeled after? </div></div>

Sorry, don't get it. Who is Maxine?