• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cayman Island"

"Cayman Island"

kept ringing in my ears and I couldn't shake it. I needed a vacation so badly last year but with work and other stuff, I didn't get the chance to take one. I finally booked the Christmas week off and I had every intentions to go to Jamaica with my family but that didn't work out so I was stuck once again. I was so stressed and overworked. I needed a break so badly.

Then the news came, I had gotten the break I needed, the company laid off over 500 people in one day, including my entire department. Folks were sadden by the news, I was estatic. I didn't have to go through another quarter end and I would finally get some rest.

My son (I love him so much), told me to take the vacation I needed by myself. He gave me permission to go anywhere. I was thinking a nice all-inclusive resort in Jamaica or Cuba but "Cayman Island" kept coming up. To make matters worse, (H)AnnA(H) kept asking why don't I go to the Cayman Island. Really weird because she knows I'm booked for a conference there in March (next month).

<span style="font-style: italic">I'm getting spiritual now, so the non-spiritual folks can skip.</span>

The same night, the Minister from the Cayman Island came online. I told her I was shopping for a vacation and she said, come to the Cayman Island. I reminded her that I was going to be there in March but that didn't deter her. She told me she was going to be off work and she needed me to be there.

I started to wonder why it was ringing in my ears, why my friend told me I needed to go and why the Minister wanted me there. I have learned not to question God so I settled in my spirit that I would go. I asked for hotel information however the Pastor said, no...I would come to her house. Fine, that settles it...I would go for a week. Nope, plans for made for 12 days...OK fine. Little did I know the trip would last even longer.

Please keep in mind that I didn't do a lot of touristy stuff because God had another purpose for this trip. I am still in need of a vacation. Lord help me.

I hope you'll enjoy the drive by pics I took. I promise to do more touristy stuff when I return in March.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Re: "Cayman Island"

My first glimpse of the Island.

The ships seems larger than the Island

First thing you notice is that the Island is very flat. Also according to the Minister, they have no rivers because they are below sea level. You can also travel around the entire Island in 2 hours...so it's pretty small.

I can see how they can get easily damaged in a hurricane.

St. George's Harbour (if I remember the name correctly)

The plane landed, I stood up and there was an actual celebrity seated behind me....Well I'm not sure if he's still a celebrity.

Snow.

I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

hey Compray! ran into Ivoree lass night, hadn't seen her in months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Compray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The plane landed, I stood up and there was an actual celebrity seated behind me....Well I'm not sure if he's still a celebrity.

Snow.

</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Informer - yu know seh a Daddy Snow demma go blame, a lickie boom boom yeah!</span>

goodness, a star crossing, what an auspicious start to your trip, Comps.

Mi have nuff work fi do but mi a go falla along your trip report and try not to feel jealous of you being home on such a freezing day.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

(((MG))) I am very happy for Miss Ivoree even though she's been giving me grief on Facebook.

Snow was heading down to perform in a Music Festival. I was seated next to his promotions person who said he was relaunching Snow's career. I wish him all the best.

So we disembarked Air Canada and was greeted with this lovely sign.

The lines moved swiftly, no held up...and my luggage was already put to the side by the time I got to that area. I was very impressed with how quickly everyone moved. I don't recall things going that smoothly when I went to Jamaica...granted that was many moons ago.

After the meeting and hugging the pastor and I were off...first order of business. Food.

This turned out to be a regular spot as they do serve very good jerk chicken. Also, the new church (I'll get to that) was just around the corner anyway so it made sense to stop and pick up jerk chicken on the way home each night.

I want some right now

Waiting fo more.
    When you educate a boy, you educate a person. When you educate a girl, you educate a family, a community, and a Nation.

Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Compray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also according to the Minister, they have no rivers because they are below sea level.</div></div>

They're above sea level, although not by much.
    The reason there's no rivers is that it's made up of pourous limestone that absorbs the water. Becuase there's no runoff to contaminate the sea, the island is an excellent spot for diving, since the underwater visibility is very good.

When you go, make sure you spend an afternoon is Rum Point/ Cayman Kai which is nice. What I didn't like about Caymaninas is that most do not like Jamaicans and make it known.

Did you get that vibe when you were there Compray?

Looking forward to more pics/report.

Magix, good info. I just took the Minister's word for it. I did hear folks saying that the native Caymanians didn't like Jamaicans but to be honest I wasn't in a position to pick up on that vibe.

Seeing the various nationalities I did ask about racism and was told that it was there as white foreigners were most likely to receive higher paying positions than blacks.

I am looking forward to some diving and snorkling when I return next month. Although to be honest I didn't like the beaches I went to. The sand is a bit harsh and some areas have way too many rocks. More about that as I continue the report.

Likkle more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Waiting fo more. </div></div>

Soon come

Besides, you've already seen some of the pics I'll be posting.

R Kelly all summer long *sigh* [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]