• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    Here is what HE said about his heritage when people still liked him:

the Canadian host, a celebrity in his own right in Toronto, is also an immigrant — an experience he said has shaped him “in every way. There is no way to divorce one’s experience from one’s lineage, especially when you are a first-generation immigrant.”And even more so when your heritage is Iranian.
    Born in England, Mr. Ghomeshi arrived in Canada at age 7 in the mid-1970s. At first, his heritage was something to be proud of, and he used his Persian roots for show-and-tell in second grade. Then, two things happened.
    First, his father, a civil engineer, moved the family to the northern suburb of Thornhill, which at the time was mostly white and Anglo-Saxon.
    “We were the ethnic family on the street,” he said in an August interview near his Canadian Broadcasting Corp. offices. “I was contending with all the normal things a first-generation kid would contend with — funny name, brownish skin, big nose and an English accent, which I desperately worked to lose. It was the kind of thing where playing hockey, the other kids had 30-year-old dads with skates who were on the ice with them, and my dad was 50 years old, sitting in the stands, and didn’t even really understand the game.”
    Then, in 1979, Iranian revolutionaries captured the U.S. embassy and held people hostage, and it hit 12-year-old Jian “like a hammer.”
    “I was too young to have the tools to understand the political realities of what was going on, and certainly not to understand stereotyping. All I knew was that we came from this evil place.”
    ”I remember on a top 40 radio station, they had taken the Beach Boys song ‘Barbara Ann’ and turned it into ‘Bomb Iran,’ and it led me to years of denial and hoping people wouldn’t know where I came from, which I didn’t overcome until I got to university.”
    Today, Mr. Ghomeshi, who also had a career as a musician and founder of the group Moxy Fruvous, has come to terms with his heritage, made easier by the fact that Toronto now has more than 100,000 residents of Iranian descent, most of whom moved there after the hostage crisis.
    “For a kid who came here when there was no one else like me, it’s sort of like, ‘Where were you? I could have used the backup.’ ”
    He loves the way Toronto has become a polyglot city of scores of ethnic groups, and if he has one worry about his fellow Iranian-Canadians, it’s that some neighborhoods are “almost mini-Tehran. We have our stores, our shops, our community center and we’re almost inhabiting this area with an exilic mindset, almost as though we’re going to go back someday.”
    “There’s also a fear that getting involved politically would be too pushy,” he said, “and I’ve been saying to the Iranian community, we’ll only have a voice when we integrate economically, socially and politically.”
    Despite those concerns, Mr. Ghomeshi believes Toronto has become a truly multicultural region.
    “Most of the things I love about Toronto are a function of the diversity of the city,” he said. “I do believe we are products of those we interact with, and we will have an understanding if not a celebration of other folks from different parts of the world when we live beside them, and I really think that has been important. When I travel it’s something I miss. When I’m in certain places, I say, man, I miss a daily diet of diverse food, like eating Indian food on Monday, Greek food on Tuesday, Thai food on Wednesday, Persian food on Thursday, which is so normalized in Toronto.”
    When Moxy Fruvous toured America in the 1990s, he was often struck by how separate blacks, whites and Hispanics were. “I remember being somewhere in the Midwest and remarking that I was noticing a lot of black people, and I thought, ’Why am I noticing that?’ and I realized it was because I wasn’t seeing anything else, where in Toronto you have this sort of Colors of Benetton.”
    Curiously enough, he said, Toronto’s multiculturalism hasn’t transformed the arts scene, even if there are a few groups capitalizing on it, like the Indian banghra group, Punjabi by Nature, and the aboriginal electronica group, A Tribe Called Red. The arts, including rock music, are some of the most staid institutions in modern culture, he said.
    In other areas, though, the change has been notable.
    When Mr. Ghomeshi began working as a TV and radio host in the early 2000s, there was only one other brown-skinned TV anchor, a South Asian named Ian Hanomansing. “I met this woman at a party and she said, ‘Oh, I’m such a big fan of yours. Now I can go tell my friends I’ve met Ian Hanomansing.’ ”
    Today, he said, “if you turn on the local Toronto 6 o’clock news, every station will be brown people, black people, Asian people.”
    http://www.post-gazette.com/newimmig...s/201410200001

So he is a self-loathing Iranian and a dawgasaurus. Time will tell if he is guilty of sexual assault or if some of these relationships were a case of woman dropping baggy and getting more than they bargained for.

If the sex was consensual but they weren't into kinky sex but went along with it....in one case for 2 years....doesn't sound like sexual assault to me but then I wasn't there.

Toronto police launch investigation into Jian Ghomeshi allegations

Jian Ghomeshi showed CBC executives video that depicted him

Graphic videos were presented by Ghomeshi to his bosses late last week, sources say, days before he was fired.“CBC viewed scenarios where Jian Ghomeshi asks, for example, a woman to do something and she does it,” a source close to the matter told the Star. The source said Ghomeshi was trying to show “how bruising could happen and it could still be consensual.”

The Star has been told that Ghomeshi is in the videos.

According to sources, Ghomeshi was afraid that the story of his alleged activities was about to break and he was trying to convince the CBC that everything he had done in his sex life was consensual.

The Star does not know the identity of other people in the videos.

In a staff memo sent Friday afternoon, the CBC’s executive vice-president of English services, Heather Conway, confirmed that the CBC saw on Oct. 23 “for the first time, graphic evidence that Jian had caused physical injury to a woman.”

Conway’s memo says that after viewing the evidence, the CBC “determined that Jian’s conduct was a fundamental breach of CBC’s standard of acceptable conduct for any employee.”

Spokesman Chuck Thompson told the Star he couldn’t comment for legal reasons when asked if the CBC had considered going to police after the meeting.

The Q host was fired on Sunday afternoon by the CBC, his longtime employer. At the time, CBC said that information had come to its attention that “precluded” them continuing their association with the 47-year-old musician turned broadcaster.

In Ghomeshi’s Facebook posting later that Sunday night, he said he had been transparent with his employers over the previous months amid questions about his activities. The Toronto Star had presented questions to Ghomeshi in June and then again in September about alleged abuse of women as part of the newspaper’s investigation. As of Friday, nine women have been reported to have had issues of abuse or sexual harassment related to Ghomeshi.

Here’s what happened since April, according to the Star’s investigation.

On April 9, 2014, an anonymous Twitter posting from an account called @BigEarsTeddy began:

“Hi there Jian Ghomeshi. Remember louring me to ur house under false pretences? Bruises dont lie. Signed, every female Carleton U media grad,” states the post.

That put Ghomeshi on high alert, sources say. Ghomeshi spotted it almost as soon as it was posted. Sources of the Star, including some of his alleged victims, say Ghomeshi is intensely focused on his social media presence and frequently checks Twitter and Facebook to see if he is mentioned. He feared the worst — that someone would expose his alleged conduct.

Jian Ghomeshi situation: How the week unfolded

CBC was worried, too. Ghomeshi was their golden boy. His Q show, which he cocreated, was considered a “flagship show” by the public broadcaster. It attracted dozens of top guests, including Barbra Streisand, Neil Young, Al Gore, Salman Rushdie and many more. Actor-musician Billy Bob Thornton’s on-air dust-up with Ghomeshi brought the host increased fame and helped create what CBC people call his “star power.”

The crisis firm Navigator was hired by Ghomeshi. From the start, sources say, Ghomeshi said that the Twitter posting and other allegations he was aware of were the work of a jilted ex-girlfriend.

The April posting was noticed by Canadaland podcaster Jesse Brown, a media critic, who interviewed three women who were making allegations against Ghomeshi. Brown brought the story to the Star, seeking help in doing a full investigation. The Star began its investigation, working with Brown as a freelancer, and by June the Star sent the first of two letters to Ghomeshi, after first contacting him by telephone. The Star told him that it would like to talk to him in person but could also provide a letter of questions.

The first letter, dated June 24, began:

“The Toronto Star is investigating allegations from women who say that you have been physically and verbally abusive to them during sexual encounters. These are very serious allegations and we want to give you every opportunity to respond and give your side of the story. We are continuing to investigate. The women we have interviewed to date, from different parts of the country, tell similar stories. In brief, they say that you physically attack them, without consent.”

“The women allege that you strike them with a closed fist or open hand; choke them with your hands around their neck to the point that they almost pass out; cover their nose and mouth so that they have difficulty breathing; and that you verbally abuse them before, during, and after sex acts. The women have told us that they did not consent to this behaviour,” the Star wrote in the letter.

Ghomeshi lawyer Neil Rabinovitch responded the next day, saying that “Mr. Ghomeshi has been harassed by a former girlfriend for several months.” The lawyer said that the ex-girlfriend had “contacted other women friends and former partners of his in an effort to find support for her allegations.”

Rabinovitch said Ghomeshi does “not engage in non-consensual role play or sex and any suggestion of the contrary is defamatory, wrongly suggests criminal conduct by our client and is actionable.”

The Ghomeshi lawyer also said he had “reviewed email and text messages, as well as related material, between Mr. Ghomeshi and women he has had relationships with that will discredit the individuals we believe to be your sources and demonstrate the allegations that are now being made about our client are false.”

The Star went back to Rabinovitch and Ghomeshi, asking to see the information.

MORE ON THESTAR.COM

Ghomeshi dumped by agent

Author Reva Seth accuses Ghomeshi of assault

Eight women accuse former CBC host of violence, sexual abuse or harassment

Rabinovitch wrote back after receiving the Star’s second letter saying that due to privacy concerns, he could not share the material.

The Star continued its investigation and during a chance meeting with Ghomeshi in September posed more questions to the Q host. Ghomeshi responded that his lawyers had told the Star there was “no story” and he was surprised the Star was still asking questions.

The CBC and Navigator, along with Ghomeshi’s publicist of 12 years, Rock-it Promotions, was aware of the correspondence between the Star and Ghomeshi. Ghomeshi told the CBC and Navigator that in September the Star was still on the story, sources say.

“Ghomeshi had a complicated explanation for how these allegations had come forward and were not true,” a source said, referring to Ghomeshi’s now very public position that he was part of a bondage-dominance-sadism-masochism community and that what he did in his private life was nobody’s business. Ghomeshi’s explanation also focused on his contention that his ex-girlfriend had lied about their relationship and somehow found others who joined her in lies about him.

By early October, with Ghomeshi still doing his show five days a week, CBC and Navigator thought the storm had passed, sources say.

Two weeks ago, Brown said in his podcast that he was working on a “monster” story that would be “worse than embarrassing for certain parties.” Brown has told the Star that he was referring to a different story, and it had nothing to do with Ghomeshi. Sources connected to CBC and Navigator said they now understand this to be the case.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...g_sources.html

Verdict expected Thursday.

Jian Ghomeshi got off.....A judge has found former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi not guilty of sex assault and choking charges.

Even though he is scum and a dawgasaurus of the highest order, it's the right verdict. What were these women thinking? They have set back the cause of sexual assault survivors by decades.

Here is why he got off.

Judge: "it is impossible for the court to have sufficient faith in the reliability and sincerity of these complainants"
    In his decision, Horkins pointed to what he said were serious inconsistencies in the complainants’ testimony, and a “carelessness with the truth.”He said he had no hesitation in concluding that Ghomeshi was not guilty.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/jian-gho...i-verdict.html

I can't seem to upload the last page of the verdict. Here it is:

[136] Each complainant in this case engaged in conduct regarding Mr. Ghomeshi, after the fact, which seems out of harmony with the assaultive behaviour ascribed to him. In many instances, their conduct and comments were even inconsistent with the level of animus exhibited by each of them, both at the time and then years later. In a case that is entirely dependent on the reliability of their evidence standing alone, these are factors that cause me considerable difficulty when asked to accept their evidence at full value.

[137] Each complainant was confronted with a volume of evidence that was contrary to their prior sworn statements and their evidence in-chief. Each complainant demonstrated, to some degree, a willingness to ignore their oath to tell the truth on more than one occasion. It is this aspect of their evidence that is most troubling to the Court.

[138] The success of this prosecution depended entirely on the Court being able to accept each complainant as a sincere, honest and accurate witness. Each complainant was revealed at trial to be lacking in these important attributes. The evidence of each complainant suffered not just from inconsistencies and questionable behaviour, but was tainted by outright deception.

[139] The harsh reality is that once a witness has been shown to be deceptive and manipulative in giving their evidence, that witness can no longer expect the Court to consider them to be a trusted source of the truth. I am forced to conclude that it is impossible for the Court to have sufficient faith in the reliability or sincerity of these complainants. Put simply, the volume of serious deficiencies in the evidence leaves the Court with a reasonable doubt.

[140] My conclusion that the evidence in this case raises a reasonable doubt is not the same as deciding in any positive way that these events never happened. At the end of this trial, a reasonable doubt exists because it is impossible to determine, with any acceptable degree of certainty or comfort, what is true and what is false. The standard of proof in a criminal case requires sufficient clarity in the evidence to allow a confident acceptance of the essential facts. In these proceedings the bedrock foundation of the Crown’s case is tainted and incapable of supporting any clear determination of the truth.

[141] I have no hesitation in concluding that the quality of the evidence in this case is incapable of displacing the presumption of innocence. The evidence fails to prove the allegations beyond a reasonable doubt.
    https://twitter.com/alysanmati/statu...716928/photo/1

Here is the link to the full decision:

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/en/24Mar16.pdf
    Last edited by Tropicana; 03-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Christine Blatchford says it well:

http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/169854...col/http/a.mp4

Former broadcaster Jian Ghomeshi was acquitted Thursday on all charges of sexual assault and choking following a trial that sparked a nationwide debate on how the justice system treats victims.Ontario court Judge William Horkins said he simply could not rely on the three complainants given their changing and shifting memories and evidence that at times strayed into outright lies.
    All he had to go on — as is usual in sexual-assault cases — was the complainants’ credibility, which he said cross-examination showed to be sorely lacking.

“What is troubling is not the lack of clarity, but the shifting facts from one telling to the next,” Horkins said of one of the three complainants.
    “In cross-examination, the value of her evidence suffered irreparable damage,” he said of another of the witnesses.
    Prosecutor Michael Callaghan said the Crown will take a look at the judgment and consider its position.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto...homeshi-ruling
    Last edited by Tropicana; 03-24-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Another Canadian journalist weighs in and highlights the problem with current feminist thinking:

Words themselves have no discernible meaning at all if they are uttered by a woman........ Under the new model of social justice or.... feminism.....a woman is utterly and totally unaccountable for her actions and her statements and logically she should be treated at all times as a completely amoral operator whose only compass is what is in her immediate advantage from one second to the next.
    Last edited by Tropicana; 03-24-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Dis noh mek no sense.

Tried to upload an image of the last comment but it didn't work:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11...n_6136136.html

The judge in the sexual-assault trial of former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi offered a blistering opinion of the three complainants, saying in his ruling of not guilty that each of the women had been dishonest with the court.
    “Each complainant was confronted with a volume of evidence that was contrary to their prior sworn statements and their evidence in chief,” Justice William Horkins of the Ontario Court said, reading his ruling from the bench on Thursday morning. “Each complainant demonstrated, to some degree, a willingness to ignore their oath to tell the truth on more than one occasion. It is this aspect of their evidence that is most troubling to the court.”

During the trial, each of the witnesses had been less than entirely forthcoming in describing their relationships with Mr. Ghomeshi, in some cases until the truth of those relationships was revealed during cross-examination.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29377074/