• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lenten Fast

Administrator

Re: Lenten Fast

I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me.
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

If you are already disciplined
    and in the habit of meditating
    <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> looking inwardly
    in order to become a better person
    using the guidelines of the Bible,
    then maybe you would only need
    to do this out of respect
    for the meaning of the season.

However, there are many folks who need
    to be assisted
    in achieving some of these spiritual goals
    and the Lenten fast
    is
    but one way of doing so.
    &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

but which believer ever arrives at the point where they<span style="font-weight: bold"> dont need</span> assistance to achieve certain spiritual goals?

if a person who <span style="font-weight: bold">says they believe </span>says that they have &quot;arrived&quot; well.........
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

i'm like you - didn't grow up wth the idea of lent and &quot;giving up&quot; something for lent. i got into it as an adult, after reading about spirituality and ascetism, and also being around muslims who fast for ramadan.

five years ago i read a catholic website that talked about the spiritual rewards of fasting - essentially, understanding what it means to be deprived, that for many of us going without food is not a choice. it also talked about fasting as a way of assessing what role food plays in your life, and for someone like me where food is a substitute for a lot of things, it gave me pause. i tried it for that year, and ended up staying vegetarian for 2 years after.

i don't do lent every year but i think i need the rigor this year.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs_Ahmidis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    However, there are many folks who need
    to be assisted
    in achieving some of these spiritual goals
    and the Lenten fast
    is
    but one way of doing so. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

i'm like you - didn't grow up wth the idea of lent and &quot;giving up&quot; something for lent. i got into it as an adult, after reading about spirituality and ascetism, and also being around muslims who fast for ramadan.

five years ago i read a catholic website that talked about the spiritual rewards of fasting - essentially, understanding what it means to be deprived, that for many of us going without food is not a choice. it also talked about fasting as a way of assessing what role food plays in your life, and for someone like me where food is a substitute for a lot of things, it gave me pause. i tried it for that year, and ended up staying vegetarian for 2 years after.

i don't do lent every year but i think i need the rigor this year. </div></div>

MGee, you point is well taken. It seems like a simple thing to say don't eat meat on Fridays, and you think big deal, what kind of sacrifice is that? Until Friday roles around and you wake up and take out piece of ham/bacon, and you are like oh yeah, can't eat that, for lunch everyone want to go get burgers, or the salads have ham/turkey the list goes on and on into dinner and then with each time you have to say &quot;no I can't eat that&quot; it gives you pause because it has become something you actually have to think about, its not easy to just grab something anymore and it leads to bigger revalations, what else in my life am I so unconciously tied to? As with anything you take for granted you don't realize its impact until you are without it.
    Psalm 27: The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    but which believer ever arrives at the point where they<span style="font-weight: bold"> dont need</span> assistance to achieve certain spiritual goals?

if a person who <span style="font-weight: bold">says they believe </span>says that they have &quot;arrived&quot; well......... </div></div>

All need to respect the season
    in whichever respectful way they choose to do so
    but some need more help than others
    depending on the stage they are at
    on the journey...
    &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

I understand what you are saying
    my point is that no matter where you are on your journey
    we are never without need of help
    and to feel otherwise is a disservice to your self
    and limits your growth ultimately
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seemiyah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it leads to bigger revalations, what else in my life am I so unconciously tied to? As with anything you take for granted you don't realize its impact until you are without it. </div></div>

so true, SMY. i've been a bit shamed by how i've abused the privilege i have of being able buy and eat anything i want. my relatively poor health testifies to that.

one revelation that's come early to me is that i eat to avoid doing things, to fill time psychically. i'm now a bit atremble at the amount of things i've put off that i need to DEAL with. and funny thing, i'm going to try to deal with them as a way of taking my mind off my hunger pangs. it feels petty but at the same time momentous.

that's why me like u..u so deep

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”