• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Jamaican Dog Sled Team... PICS!

Nanook - thanks for this. i have ordered the dvd and can't wait to view it.
    Don't believe everything you think.

If ignorance is bliss, why are more people not happy?

how do they deal with the whole quarantine thing. A mean why is it okay for these dogs to come here an race an then go back to Jamaica...lord that sounds confrontational but not my intent. I am just curious.

because the quarantine issues are not the same as trying to bring a dog into jamaica
    Don't believe everything you think.

If ignorance is bliss, why are more people not happy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diabolical_Tanya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how do they deal with the whole quarantine thing. A mean why is it okay for these dogs to come here an race an then go back to Jamaica...lord that sounds confrontational but not my intent. I am just curious. </div></div>

Check their blog - Jamaica's quarantine regulations are such that their dogs could not come to North America - plus, the 'sun dogs' could not handle the extreme winter conditions. The team uses dogs from certain kennels here (the one Nanook is seeing is a team 'on loan' from a kennel in Minnesota)

Main site - Jamaica Dog Sled Team

JDT - Blog check here for great updates on each of this years races.

Very cool!

I was wondering about the &quot;sun dogs&quot; as well. They may not get all the glory, but at least they get off the streets and are treated humanely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SistahD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

Looks like he is enjoying the warmer temps compared to the past few weeks!

<span style="font-style: italic">How they get the dogs into the cages at the top??</span>

</div></div>

I'm sure the warmer temps have been appreciated by more than just me!

I Imagine they hoist the smaller of the dogs to the top boxes in the truck, I know I would! They just hoist them up to their little cubby hole and they climb right in! The sleds ride on top of the truck. More hoisting. Ken who is Robbs mentor in Minnesota joked that is why he picked a tall guy to come mush with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nanook - thanks for this. i have ordered the dvd and can't wait to view it. </div></div>

Hey bink, I am ordering Sun Dogs video today! I am so looking forward! It is so great to know that some of the dogs we have all seen in Jamaica, are being treated with compassion and are getting help. I hope to be able to elaborate more on that later

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diabolical_Tanya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how do they deal with the whole quarantine thing. A mean why is it okay for these dogs to come here an race an then go back to Jamaica...lord that sounds confrontational but not my intent. I am just curious. </div></div>

The dogs used off the island are different dogs than the island dogs. In Robbs case, he has a wonderful mentor. I met Robb along with a wonderful couple, Ken and Donna Davis from Twig Mn. They host Robb in their home for the winter months and Rob and Ken travel to the various race venu's and Donna stays behind to take care of the rest of the 23 dogs they have in their kennel.

However, in answer to the importing question I know it can be done to bring a dog to the US &amp; Canada from the island. You wouldn't be able to return to Jamaica with that dog though. It has to do with the fact that they are vaccinated against rabies. It's a ridiculous rule and it would be nice to see it changed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool!

I was wondering about the &quot;sun dogs&quot; as well. They may not get all the glory, but at least they get off the streets and are treated humanely.

</div></div>

This is such a wonderful organization and I'm hoping to be able to share more story about this too. Last week Ken and Robb went to a local school and did a presentation for a class. A lot of the focus was about helping the homeless dogs in Jamaica and I'm hoping either teacher Mark will come and share that experience with us, or send me something to share with you!

In fact I just now got a set of extraordinary photos that Mark took of Robb mushing in the race that I can share with you. A real treat as Mark is an excellent photographer and the photos are wonderful!

I'm off to go get them now, soon come...

We can thank teacher Mark for the following AWESOME 5 images...

One Mush!