• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kia027 View Post
    what do the dogs want?
    Dogs? Want? I don't understand that concept.

So now I have four contractor bids. Let's say, my budget is $20k.

Contractor A = 15,000
    Contractor B = 18,999
    Contractor C = 12,000
    Contractor D = 17,000

All are licensed, bonded, and insured. Contractor B and D are large companies but Contractor D is family-owned. Contractor A is just starting out and I suspect I may have problems with him completing work on time.

While Contractor C is least costly, I actually liked his work before he submitted his bid. He has great references and he works with only one partner. He is a master carpenter and his partner is a master electrician. He is methodical and the work will take about 10 weeks.

How to choose?

Based on the info u provide I would narrow it down to C & D.

Big companies often sub-contract and that can be the root of frustration so I eliminating B. A you are already concerned about starting out and being unable to finish on time. From a recent experience I say don't do it or you might have to cuss pure badwerds.

Is there guarantee on the work of C? Will his lower cost allow you to upgrade some of your choices? What is the completion time for D and what do the references C?

Peasie - are any of the contractors in the middle of any jobs right now?

If so, ask them if the owner wld mind you can stop by and take a look @ the work while it's in progress.

On 2 diff occasions, we've had jobs to do and had it narrowed down to a couple contractors.

The way we decided was that the guy offered to have us come by a job site for a project he had in the works. WE did go by and that's what made the decision for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasie View Post
    So now I have four contractor bids. Let's say, my budget is $20k.

Contractor A = 15,000
    Contractor B = 18,999
    Contractor C = 12,000
    Contractor D = 17,000

All are licensed, bonded, and insured. Contractor B and D are large companies but Contractor D is family-owned. Contractor A is just starting out and I suspect I may have problems with him completing work on time.

While Contractor C is least costly, I actually liked his work before he submitted his bid. He has great references and he works with only one partner. He is a master carpenter and his partner is a master electrician. He is methodical and the work will take about 10 weeks.

How to choose?

Thank you Twiney and Yuri. Taken under careful consideration.

One other her thing is this. In the area I live it is common to hire day workers (mostly Salvadoreans) who hang out at Home Depot and some 7-11s. I don't want strangers in my house. Contractor C is a two-man shop very similar to who did work on my upstairs remodeling nearly 4 years ago. When necessary, they subcontracted with a plumbing company and I was given heads up on this.

well that narrows it down then since yuh prefer not to have strangers a schlepp in yuh basement

all but C will probably use day workers (they use them here as well)
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Now I am in the phase of comparing the line items from Contractor C and D bids.

Contractor D know what dem talking bout. They are into getting a few things up to code - the drain in the current basement shower is not up to code.

Administrator
    What you can do is ask contractor C what is up to code and not and that will tell you how ready they are to go on their own. Master Carpenter is good but they also know how to take short cuts
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Week 5 of Project

Some before and IN PROGRESS pictures

Before: they tore down walls from previous bathroom and hobby room. Toilet just temporarily stored next to old furnace. In far corner is freezer. "Rat nest" of electrical wires dropping from ceiling.

In Progress: Wall put up between laundry area and bathroom. (You can't see the bathroom in this photo.) Plumbing installed for washer, dryer, and utility shower. Recessed lights installed. Floor tiles and some wall tile installed.

During this phase my 30-year old furnace died I went ahead and replaced the entire HVAC system with high efficiency furnace and AC. Also replaced water heater.