• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in Portl

Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in Portland hills

Daraine Luton, Staff Reporter

HE JOURNEYED far from the hot, dusty and sometimes volatile concrete jungle of Arnett Gardens, St Andrew, to the cool, pristine hills of Balcarres, Portland, five years ago.

But Nigel David Cobb's aim was not to inhale cleaner air or swim daily in the river, which is part of the inviting offerings of rural life. Instead, he wanted to learn obeah.

But neither a cursory glance nor an everlasting stare would let you recognise that Cobb is practising to peep through the proverbial nine-inch wall.

The young man is as unassuming as any 30-year-old around town.

He wears no strange clothes; carries no flag; and has no head wraps, horse shoe, shells, animal or human skulls. At least, not from The Sunday Gleaner's vantage point.

&quot;<span style="font-style: italic">I got a calling to seek the high physician and that is why I am here,&quot;</span> Cobb testifies.

&quot;<span style="font-weight: bold">The Lord sent me</span> into the hills, He who has a clean hand and a pure heart,&quot; he adds.

Cobb left Kingston in 2004 for Portland to sit at the feet of a bush doctor known as 'Mr Murray'.

Cobb tells The Sunday Gleaner that he has washed and bathed clients and is convinced that he has learnt enough to go on his own.

&quot;I have learnt so much and still there is more to learn,&quot; he says confidently.

Practice for deliverance&gt;

On an average day, the 30-year-old says he registers up to 25 clients. He spends his days learning to read, bathe and cure persons around whose &quot;neck trouble hangs like an albatross&quot;.

He says young and old turn up daily in droves for deliverance at his &quot;teacher&quot; and mentor's practice. He is convinced that they always receive help.

So far, Cobbs' education has taken longer than the average university degree and he still has, at least, one more year of apprenticeship.

&quot;Five years ago, before mi come here, mi neva believe inna it (obeah), but I have seen his work and I know that he is a high physician.

&quot;The Bible says seek the high physician and you have to find the highest knowledge,&quot; Cobb relates. &quot;A lot of people do it (indulge in obeah) because it can give them benefits in life, which is true. But some people do it for money. I want to use it to help people and to know more about the natural mystic of God's work,&quot;

With approximately one year to go in his studies, this young obeah man has already figured out where he will be taking his business.

And, it's not the concrete jungle, Trench Town or Tivoli Gardens; neither is he heading to Windward Road. His destination is uptown, among the more well-to-do Jamaicans.

&quot;I am going to set up in Eastwood Park Gardens. This is where the calling says that I must go,&quot; discloses Cobb with a wide grin.

But not only is he a blooming high physician, he believes he is a big musician in the making. He tells The Sunday Gleaner that <span style="font-weight: bold">he has refused to use his spiritual work as a means of gaining that big burst on the entertainment scene.</span>

&quot;<span style="font-weight: bold">Mi nah guh work obeah fi buss.</span> Mi a just wait peacefully fi my chance. Anything that you use obeah fi do, in the long run, it is
    u so fake, even China denied mekking u

Your action speaks so loud it drowns out your words

Re: Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in Portl

A long time bandolu business a go on. they only modernize it with th eintroduction of telephone scams. scams a go on for centuries. If they can't gate a good wducation to EARN A DECENT LIVING, they will always find some scam, to seperate the fools from their's.
    Ar one stage ther were top military brass using the services of like wise scammers, I mean obeah man.
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A long time bandolu business a go on. they only modernize it with th eintroduction of telephone scams. scams a go on for centuries. If they can't gate a good wducation to EARN A DECENT LIVING, they will always find some scam, to seperate the fools from their's.
    Ar one stage ther were top military brass using the services of like wise scammers, I mean obeah man. </div></div>

Soh yu feel seh obeah is a scam? you do realize that medicine man and &quot;witch doctor&quot; are terms that have been around many many years before the term MD? And that nuff a the MD's medicine comes from the bush doctor...even to this day...

Yes i had ti study the history of medicine.
    That don't men that pbeah is not a scam. just as how a lot of what passed for medicine was a scam too. some od what is being recommended toiday is scam too. If you belueve the procedures recommended to maintain ideal body weight, you are being scammed. If you believe that npt using sugar is healthy you are being scammed. and of youyu believe that obeah is real, you are being scammed too.
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

that is a side issue Dr Dudd. Noone doubts that there are scammers in either profession.

The point is the fundamentals of Roots medicine when done correctly and honestly does help ppl.

But if I have brain cancer, I would drive to the nearest hospital and expect a Western doctor to be of better help.
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

that is a side issue Dr Dudd. Noone doubts that there are scammers in either profession.

The point is the fundamentals of Roots medicine when done correctly and honestly does help ppl.

But if I have brain cancer, I would drive to the nearest hospital and expect a Western doctor to be of better help. </div></div> Well on Jamaica pbeah practioners do not profess to use herbs. They profess to be able to use 'spirits' to do stuff to and for people. That is a scam. of there is ever one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But if I have brain cancer, I would drive to the nearest hospital and expect a Western doctor to be of better help. </div></div> Well on Jamaica pbeah practioners do not profess to use herbs. They profess to be able to use 'spirits' to do stuff to and for people. That is a scam. of there is ever one. </div></div>

I have seen them use herbs to do their work, and yes they were practicing Obeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But if I have brain cancer, I would drive to the nearest hospital and expect a Western doctor to be of better help. </div></div> Well on Jamaica pbeah practioners do not profess to use herbs. They profess to be able to use 'spirits' to do stuff to and for people. That is a scam. of there is ever one. </div></div>

I have seen them use herbs to do their work, and yes they were practicing Obeah. </div></div>Well something is amiss here.,because inJamaica it is not illegal to practice bush medicine,as long as you don't charge,but it is against the law to practice obeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylah

I have seen them use herbs to do their work, and yes they were practicing Obeah. </div></div>Well something is amiss here.,because inJamaica it is not illegal to practice bush medicine,as long as you don't charge,but it is against the law to practice obeah.
    Well I know obeah people who use bush an oils an teas to cure illness, yes much of it is mind over matter much like western meds placebo effect, but obeah does combine the use of spiritual/mental and herbal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diabolical_Tanya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Dudd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylah

Well I know obeah people who use bush an oils an teas to cure illness, yes much of it is mind over matter much like western meds placebo effect, but obeah does combine the use of spiritual/mental and herbal....

yup. exactly.