• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you are not being very clear yourself.
    I never misquoted, I only selected the most important part.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&quot;So wait deh, yuh think seh obeah can be compared to medical Science or that Obeah-man and Herbalist are one and the same thing?</div></div>
    Science is science.

cut, cure, plant are just some of the subdivisions if anybody would care to segment the workings.
    i could also say the bad, the good and the ugly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obeahman as mi hear bout when mi a picknie, haffie know how fi wake spirits, invoke the dead, go a grave-yard and play wid bones and dem tings deh, sen spirits fi call ppl by name etc etc.....hiff him naah duh dat him annuh real Obeahman.
    </div></div>
    Same experience here. The graveyard thing is only one aspect. Call it dastardly if you like, it is like a special effect. The fact is to achieve what you want from going to the graveyard is not the ultimate, there are many other places which would give you the same effect, but they would not give you the name around town.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 30days in the wilderness ritual does work.</div></div>
    As in the bible, it works. All the West African sources I have checked have similar. He does not have to go to the graveyard, it is a matter of what he has to deal with, isolation is all.
    </div></div>

A soh noh?
    <span style="font-style: italic">If it must choose who is to be crucified, the crowd will always save Barabbas</span>..John Cocteau.

<span style="font-weight: bold">all the lonely people, where do they all come from?</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">IGNORE A TROLL, di TROLL LOSES</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and tap talking in parables for mi naah hannastan a wud yuh IS saying bout cut and cure and plant.... </div></div>

BOAL

I'm gonna leave this discussion to the professionals </div></div>
    truth be told, even britisha does work obeah

when i came on here this place used to name spirituality. so me say, no man everyday bible preaching and is spirituality it name, weh de spirit in a dis?

So me get likkle disruptive an me tumble bout wid Angel Gabriel and so on
    Good thing me did trang.
    britisha an one name jedi. britisha go doo she research fe fine out wa sukuna be.
    and she find de cure too. you haffu rub de skin wid salt. so britisha an jedi swear dem go get me hide

man dat was fun.

well fe de sukuna dem have some more ritual.
    ge e rice fe count. but de sukuna know how fe counter dat </div></div>

Sukie, yah bad yuh know...now mi cyaan even membah, but you had hinted...aaah yes, mi membah, I think you made reference to &quot;ole hige&quot;...and it brought back memories of when my mother used to tell us stories that her mother used to tell her bout &quot;ole hige&quot; and the salt and peppah thing and &quot;ole highe&quot; used to bawl &quot;kin a bun&quot; &quot;kin a bun&quot;...and how it did send you into a fit.. as if those words had power...

Seriously, yuh think hiff I work Obeah...I would be here talking to you on line? Meed dah win di Lotto arreddi an deh somewhey pan a boat a order Margaritas..But yuh si...if I am not mistaken, you equate Obeah with Christianity why u mek dat statement.. if obeah did really deh...some faawt whey gwaan a jamaica cuddn't gwaan, an mi surely wuddah use ie fi benefit miself...so dere..dwl:

Hiff mi membah yuh said that your name has a spiritual meaning, don't?
    <span style="font-style: italic">If it must choose who is to be crucified, the crowd will always save Barabbas</span>..John Cocteau.

<span style="font-weight: bold">all the lonely people, where do they all come from?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obeahman as mi hear bout when mi a picknie, haffie know how fi wake spirits, invoke the dead, go a grave-yard and play wid bones and dem tings deh, sen spirits fi call ppl by name etc etc.....hiff him naah duh dat him annuh real Obeahman.
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    you na need fu do that fe be obeahman.
    </div></div>

if you dont need Obeahman to do the above then what is he/she needed for

BTW: I understand your point, I just want to know what the Obeahman is good for then.
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

I have never said that Obeah is the same as christianity. Any belief system must stand ridicule but Obeah does not need us to work.

btw, as we be going down memory lane, there is one thing that used to confuse me and it might have been that I misinterpreted it or misplaced it. because things are not what they seem, make me ask on a personal level.

You seemed to bat against any mention of Obeah, but I was confused how you used to back Witchyooman pan her witchcraft. How come you never ridicule her knowledge on that? How you can believe that there is still real witchcraft but no real Obeah?

A de witchcraft discussion dem yu a tek fu Obeah?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never said that Obeah is the same as christianity. Any belief system must stand ridicule but Obeah does not need us to work.

btw, as we be going down memory lane, there is one thing that used to confuse me and it might have been that I misinterpreted it or misplaced it. because things are not what they seem, make me ask on a personal level.

You seemed to bat against any mention of Obeah, but I was confused how you used to back Witchyooman pan her witchcraft. How come you never ridicule her knowledge on that? How you can believe that there is still real witchcraft but no real Obeah?

A de witchcraft discussion dem yu a tek fu Obeah? </div></div>

I used to back Witchy? I don't remember &quot;backing her&quot; but I remember NOT ridiculing her for saying that she is a Wiccan...for the simple reason that I respected her opinions on the matter, and 2ndly she was one poster that could make a point, and make it well...Sukuna, yuh memrie shaawt...unless yuh nain deh bout but we had a few lively obeah chreads bout yah...yes, man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I used to back Witchy? I don't remember &quot;backing her&quot; but I remember NOT ridiculing her for saying that she is a Wiccan...for the simple reason that I respected her opinions on the matter, and 2ndly she was one poster that could make a point, and make it well...Sukuna, yuh memrie shaawt...unless yuh nain deh bout but we had a few lively obeah chreads bout yah...yes, man.</div></div>
    Actually my memory is quite good. For all I remember if it were not stories nothing could ever be discussed normally on Obeah bout here.
    Mek me probe some more cause it still fuzzy. Remember this is personal. That mean say if somebody come on the board and tell you them a Obeahman you would give them the same respect that you did to Witchyooman?
    So you a try tell me when me say anything bout Obeah, firstly, you na respect me opinion on the matter and secondly me kyaan or naa mek no point? I mean, check your responses on this thread to any pro Obeah argument, it is ridiculous.

I think for those who have anything for Obeah on this board, it is part of our culture and certainly deserve more respect than something you just picked up along the wayside, like say witchcraft.

Administrator

With all due respect to all that is being said, what I really want to know is the answer to the question someone asked earlier: what is obeah good for? I'm just thinking that with all the stuff going on back home, if it can be used for all the things people say or believe, how come the results aren't more obvious?

I remember while growing up, some of the poorest people around were using it for horse racing luck, court cases, protection, pass exams, ward off duppies, and whatever else. I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

Same argument for all beliefs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor.</div></div>
    I cant imagine if somebody worked obeah on somebody else they will tell the whole world.

Unless is your own you a talk bout.

You mean if Obeah worked everybody would be millionaires?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChurchDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect to all that is being said, what I really want to know is the answer to the question someone asked earlier: what is <span style="color: #990000"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">obeah</span>PRAYER </span> good for? I'm just thinking that with all the stuff going on back home, if it can be used for all the things people say or believe, how come the results aren't more obvious?

I remember while growing up, some of the poorest people around were using it for horse racing luck, court cases, protection, pass exams, ward off duppies, and whatever else. I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I used to back Witchy? I don't remember &quot;backing her&quot; but I remember NOT ridiculing her for saying that she is a Wiccan...for the simple reason that I respected her opinions on the matter, and 2ndly she was one poster that could make a point, and make it well...Sukuna, yuh memrie shaawt...unless yuh nain deh bout but we had a few lively obeah chreads bout yah...yes, man.</div></div>
    Actually my memory is quite good. For all I remember if it were not stories nothing could ever be discussed normally on Obeah bout here.
    Mek me probe some more cause it still fuzzy. Remember this is personal. That mean say if somebody come on the board and tell you them a Obeahman you would give them the same respect that you did to Witchyooman?
    So you a try tell me when me say anything bout Obeah, firstly, you na respect me opinion on the matter and secondly me kyaan or naa mek no point? I mean, check your responses on this thread to any pro Obeah argument, it is ridiculous.

I think for those who have anything for Obeah on this board, it is part of our culture and certainly deserve more respect than something you just picked up along the wayside, like say witchcraft. </div></div> Well said