• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Your action speaks so loud it drowns out your words

Re: Live reporting from the scene of Amer Airlines flight 331

It would be dumb to give up a language in which all your knowledge has been recorded in.
    I suppose a lot of knowledge is equally recorded in Partway too.
    We will lose so much other than culture.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what do you say about the boards where they have to translate it and it is just as popular??
    Of course a part will be due ti the patwa.
    But that part is only a small percent of the Internet.
    That is why China is making teaching of english in schools mandatory.
    They still teach in Chinese, but they want to be able to communicate with the world.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dr dudd fi recanize that part of the joy of the story is in the patwa and the culutre the patwa is expressing. </div></div> </div></div>

two diffrant argument yasso doc. china still have dem version of &quot;roots play&quot;, chuss mi, even as demma force english dung dem pikney choat a school.

</div></div>
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ur strength is dialogue, my dear, and ur future, should u so wish to embrace it, is in scriptwriting - stage play, movie, television</div></div>

Sound like I need an agent **<span style="font-style: italic">stracthing mi head</span>**

Dr. Dudd ..I promise that the <span style="font-weight: bold">Preface</span> will be in English ...how about that for thinking outside the box
    <span style="font-weight: bold"> Click HERE 4 Info.. </span>

As long as you extend the preface to the last line of the drama. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wendilina</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ur strength is dialogue, my dear, and ur future, should u so wish to embrace it, is in scriptwriting - stage play, movie, television</div></div>

Sound like I need an agent **<span style="font-style: italic">stracthing mi head</span>**

Dr. Dudd ..I promise that the <span style="font-weight: bold">Preface</span> will be in English ...how about that for thinking outside the box </div></div>
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Dr. Dudd, it was in reading the patois aloud from the early stories of Wendy, Jazz, and First Human that I uncovered a love for Jamaica that I thought I would never have. (grumpy Jamaican g'mother) It's the lyrics of patois that give the story the Jamaican character and humor.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it will become your destiny.~~Lao Tzu~~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dr dudd fi recanize that part of the joy of the story is in the patwa and the culutre the patwa is expressing. </div></div>

I agree. While at J.C., one of our foreign language teachers used to boast that he could speak Northern Chinese which was the most difficult language in the world to learn (that's what he said). He told us that there were words in that language which had more than 20 meanings depending on the pronunciation.

In my opinion, patwa, more than any other language to which we are regularly exposed, has words and phrases with the same property. Communication in patwa is dependent on tonal delivery, context, etc., but most importantly on how much you have been exposed to Jamaican society, history and culture.

It is a very dynamic language that requires any worthy interpreter to experience - in a Jamaican setting - every word uttered with matching gesticulations and facial expressions relevant to the context.

So I wince when a certain professor of English (not of patwa) attempts to defend the language with her Anglicized, backra word substitution. Who asked her? I can't forget her dissing my thick Jamaican accent by asking me why I spoke the way I did and still do.

Now she is writing articles about patwa as if she is a professor of Patwa because she is a professor of English. The University's fault I suppose.

Maybe English has the same characteristics as Patwa but we do not notice because we have been exposed to it in song, novels, plays etc.. I dunno?

Dr. Dudd, translate this into English for Obama:

Dread: Gong, yuh waan si di I penny seh yuh a rascal choo di I rich, zeen?

Bob Marley: Ooh?

and this

Meka: Tek da food ya gih Precious fi mi nuh?

Mella: Ooh? Da gyal deh? Har cahnaz daak tinite!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leddih</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr. Dudd, translate this into English for Obama:</div></div>

Dread: Gong, yuh waan si di I penny seh yuh a rascal choo di I rich, zeen?
    <span style="color: #FF0000">I have a feeling that being a wealthy person you are dishonest. </span>

Bob Marley: Ooh?
    <span style="color: #FF0000">Is that how you feel? </span>
    Dr. Dudd, translate this into English for Obama:

and this

Meka: Tek da food ya gih Precious fi mi nuh?
    <span style="color: #FF0000">will you give precious this money for me?</span>

Mella: Ooh? Da gyal deh? Har cahnaz daak tinite!
    <span style="color: #FF0000">Sorry she won't be getting through me at all.</span>

LOL ...Dacta Dudd yuh si how dat weak in comparison?

Anyway Unu need a new thread for this
    <span style="font-weight: bold"> Click HERE 4 Info.. </span>

Tell the person who don't speak patwa that, and see their reaction.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wendilina</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL ...Dacta Dudd yuh si how dat weak in comparison?

Anyway Unu need a new thread for this </div></div>