• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bread

Bread

still addicted to it and finally seeking help for my addiction

don't judge me
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Home made?
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    still addicted to it and finally seeking help for my addiction

don't judge me
    Like dumpling there is no substitution for bread. Are you looking for things that will serve a similar purpose such as sandwich buns? Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by twiney View Post
    Like dumpling there is no substitution for bread. Are you looking for things that will serve a similar purpose such as sandwich buns? Let us know.

try this bread recipe..

1 kg plain flour
    800 mls water
    4 g yeast (not 7 g as is the usual for a standard bread!)
    1 table spoon salt
    2 teaspoons sugar.
    2 table spoons oilive oil

Mix together the above in a bowl it is a very runny doah ... i use a mixer with a hook. Mix the above togeher except the salt for 5 mins. check that it is mixed properly. once mixed add teh salt.

Leave over night to raise at room temp... ( what i do is after cooking iin the evening i put on the still warm gas hob) . it should double in size.. So use a large mixing bowl. I was told to leave in a fridge but it did not work...

I add the sugar because it did not raise enough... also yeast does not react well to the salt....

pour into twooiled with olive oil plat baking tins not loaf tins. no more than 1" /2" thick... I stick black in olives into sections so one oilive per slice of bread ...and a leaf of rosemary or thyme each section the loaf... then i gently oil with oilive oil the surface....this is tricky as it is very runny....

Bake at 275 F for 25- 30 mins... after 10 mins open and pierce teh surface with a fork.

Wait till it cools then cut into sections.. This tastes better cold than hot... odd but true..

Note it is a foccacia....and is my favourite... Try with cherry tommatos instead of olives.... I was thinking of adding some pepper sauce to hit.. like harrisa...but none of the little ones like pepper!!!
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...

Quote Originally Posted by Wahalla View Post
    try this bread recipe..

1 kg plain flour
    800 mls water
    4 g yeast (not 7 g as is the usual for a standard bread!)
    1 table spoon salt
    2 teaspoons sugar.
    2 table spoons oilive oil

Mix together the above in a bowl it is a very runny doah ... i use a mixer with a hook. Mix the above togeher except the salt for 5 mins. check that it is mixed properly. once mixed add teh salt.

Leave over night to raise at room temp... ( what i do is after cooking iin the evening i put on the still warm gas hob) . it should double in size.. So use a large mixing bowl. I was told to leave in a fridge but it did not work...

I add the sugar because it did not raise enough... also yeast does not react well to the salt....

pour into twooiled with olive oil plat baking tins not loaf tins. no more than 1" /2" thick... I stick black in olives into sections so one oilive per slice of bread ...and a leaf of rosemary or thyme each section the loaf... then i gently oil with oilive oil the surface....this is tricky as it is very runny....

Bake at 275 F for 25- 30 mins... after 10 mins open and pierce teh surface with a fork.

Wait till it cools then cut into sections.. This tastes better cold than hot... odd but true..

Note it is a foccacia....and is my favourite... Try with cherry tommatos instead of olives.... I was thinking of adding some pepper sauce to hit.. like harrisa...but none of the little ones like pepper!!!
    I thought this looks recipe looks almost like my no knead bread which is basically yeast, warm water, salt and flour... if you aren't getting enough leavening out of your yeast it might be a bad batch or your water is a little too hot. I keep my yeast in the freezer.

I am avoiding wheat so I just make my regular sandwich bread since that is what my children want to eat.

I thought this looks recipe looks almost like my no knead bread which is basically yeast, warm water, salt and flour... if you aren't getting enough leavening out of your yeast it might be a bad batch or your water is a little too hot. I keep my yeast in the freezer.

I am avoiding wheat so I just make my regular sandwich bread since that is what my children want to eat.
    it does not raise as traditional bread...The italians who gave me the receipe, keeps it in the fridge over night, then it barely rises by 25 % at most.... I added the sugar to boost the rise and keep it outside the fridge overnight. it raises to the op of the bowl and touches the cling film i put over it then the raise reduces..... they also put cherry tomatoes to bake. (When i was in Norway the italians who taught me also made home made sauages and chesse and bring it in to work and we had a breakfast in the conference room!).. my children dont like the tomatoes so i only use oilves

Baked Jamaican hard dough bread....It was brilliant...

Cool

Fresh baked still Warm Coco bread from Black River was the luxury item I loved most as a child... We got it three or four times a year. I know StE people my age have the same reaction....

I think cocobread is the Jamaican equivalent of crossiants...

Today I made a first attempt...at baking them....wow they were pretty good.....'and it was easier o make than I thought.....

Wahalla... share your recipe.

My niece met a taino lady recently and you crossed my mind.

Wahalla... share your recipe.

My niece met a taino lady recently and you crossed my mind.
    400 g strong flour
    54 g water,
    174 g milk
    14 g yeast.
    1 or 2 eggs
    3 teaspoons of sugar
    a teaspoon of salt.... (Thus us to taste...))
    Butter and Virgin Rape seed oil...(It is a local product, but olive oil is fine) ( I dont give an amount as it is to brush the bread!!!!) I use salted butter not margarine...
    I throw in a sprig or two of thyme if i have some!!!)

Warm the milk and water separately..(I go for 45 secs in microwave)
    Mix the sugar, yeast, water., give than about 5 mins.. then add the milk and beat in the eggs or egg!!! do this is a large mixing bowl....

I melt the butter in the rapeseed with the thyme leaves in it... Keep a table spoon of oil to surface the dough in the origianl proving

I mix the salt into the flour.. then add in 100 g batches into the liquid mix neading in slowly..it is very wet but it should yeild and get managable...if not i flour my hnd at the end....and nead till it is manageable...)...0 mins neading... no i have never tried it with a mixer...

Form a ball of dough, pour a table spoon of oil into the bowl, then coat the ball of dough, leave to prove in a warm place to prove an hour or 45 mins.. lots of yeast so it will rise dramatically.....and very soft

Flour a surface. Split the dough into 10 balls... (the handling will reduce

Warm oven to 180... Low temperature it will take longer but stay softer...

roll out the dough ball ,into a circle or as close to as possible dress the dough with the butter / Rape seed oil, Fold in half brush the new exposed half with butter rape seed oil, Fold again brush surface again with butter oil mix... Put on a oiled backing tray.. ( I line it with foil and oil the foil). Prove in a warm place 30 mins...

(I am often rushed but u should do this)

Bake for about 10 mins till brown.....The time will vary according to oven..... Net time i am going to lower temp.....

Eat when hot.....

It goes well with coco tea if u can get some!!!!!!! (The chocolate balls that u get in Jamaica and Greneda) I make my coco tea with Nutmeg....

I want to try this with 00 flour or manitoba flour....

Quality of flour is important... it does not work too well with plain flour......

the center will be moist and light... Wife thinks it is not baked.....