• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Indian Food - Yummy

LOL.... "there are no new vegetables on the planet" LOL.. good one!!!

There are some veggies in JA that I can't find here though...

Can't wait to read some vegetarian dishes you recommend, thanks for taking the time!

Bless,
    RG

Re: Seveen - INDIAN FOOD

[ QUOTE ]
    Seveen,
    BTW, are you still in the hotel?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in a temporary apartment - i have a "trip report - fire" over in jamaicaholics - thanks for asking

Indian Food - Yummy

This is one of my favorites - not too exotic - just different spicesThis is a classic side dish but can be eaten on its own with naan bread or chapatis/rotis and goes well with Indian pickles and chutneys. This is a low fat version which does not use oil or ghee. This dish can be prepared in advance and reheated just before serving.

Preparation time: Approx 15 minutes, Cooking time: Approx 30 minutes

Ingredients
    (serves 4)

Main Ingredients:

1/2lb Potatoes
    14oz fresh or frozen spinach
    scant 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes

Ground Spices:

1/2 teaspoon Natco Chilli Powder
    1/4 teaspoon Natco Turmeric

Additional Spices:

1/2 teaspoon Natco Cumin Seeds
    1/4 teaspoon Natco Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds

Method

1. Weigh spinach after you have removed the stems and chopped it. Wash thoroughly and drain in colander. If using frozen spinach, defrost and squeeze out excess water before weighing.

2. Scrub the potataoes (don't peel them). Cut into small chunks.

3. Using a good, heavy non-stick frying pan add the seeds and dry fry (without oil) to release their flavour. Watch this carefully, they will only need a few seconds. Don't let them scorch. If they burn, throw them away and start again.

4. When they are hot, add the tomato, turmeric and chilli powder (salt is optional). Mix and cook for 30 seconds.

5. Add the spinach and potatoes and mix well to coat with the spices.

6. Cover pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The dish should consist of a thick sauce coating the potatoes. If there is still too much moisture, remove the lid and let it dry out a little by cooking rapidly over a medium heat for a few minutes.

This is the recipe for a delicious eggplant dish - Baigan Bharta

Ingredients:

Eggplant (medium size) 1
    Cooked green peas 1/2 cup
    Finely chopped onions 1
    Finely chopped tomatoes 1
    Finely chopped green chilli 1
    Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp.
    Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp.
    Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp.
    Vegetable oil 3 tbsp.
    Salt to taste
    Chopped green coriander leaves for garnishing

Method:

1. Brush eggplant with oil and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat.
    2. Frequently turn the eggplant upside down, until fully roasted.
    3. Once done, hold it under cold running water or in a bowl full of water. Cool it and peel off the blackened skin.
    4. Mash the flesh.
    5. Heat oil in a pan / kadhai . Add green chilli and onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown.
    6. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and stir. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
    7. Add green peas and mashed eggplant. Stir well. Fry for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.

Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot.

and for those chicken lovers - had this for lunch yesterday

CHICKEN TANDOORI I

1 c. yogurt
    2 c. tikka tandoori paste (you can get one from Indian grocery store)
    Fresh tomatoes
    Onions & coriander leaves
    2 lbs. chicken pieces

Mix the tandoori paste and yogurt well. Marinate the chicken pieces well for about 4 to 6 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken pieces along with the marinate into a baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is done. Keep turning the chicken pieces a few times while baking. Garnish with slices of tomatoes, onion rings and coriander leaves. Serve with rice pilaf.

seveen, what's that red beefy thing? mi nevva wan interrogate di people dem a di indian place yessideh an nah buy nott'n [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    When Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's *art* and *music* - when I do it I'm *wasted* and *have to leave the hardware store*.

[ QUOTE ]
    seveen, what's that red beefy thing? mi nevva wan interrogate di people dem a di indian place yessideh an nah buy nott'n [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

suesumba - the indians i work with doubt that the red thing is "beefy" because most of them don't eat cows (remember)so you may have to ask in the restaurant - i'm sure they won't mind - folks are always interested when you're interested in THEM

Seveen... thanks so much! I will for sure try that first veggie one and the eggplant one too [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One question though... when you say 1/2lb Potatoes, that doesn't sound like many potatoes to me, can you give me a guess on how many, say medium size potatoes I should use? And, do I use just regular white potatoes, so some other kind like yukon gold or sweet potatoes, etc?

Many thanks!
    RG

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah...teach how to make "Doubles."

[/ QUOTE ]

here yuh go monk, its real easy, is basically just curried chick peas. only hard part is the breads - my trini-Indian friends tell me the trick with Indian food is in the bread.
    There's roti of course, and theres a million other kinds too. "Doubles" gets its name cause yuh use two pieces of 'bara' (the bread you wrap the channa in; is kind of like a 'bake' , but smaller, lighter, and fried). it makes a double wrapper to hold the messy (but delectable) channa....

Doubles

This is a Trinidadian favorite for breakfast and is very very hearty, savoury and satisfying. Doubles consists of curried channa (chick peas) between two Baras (a type of bread).

Dough for Bara

2 cups flour
    ½ tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. Saffron powder
    ½ tsp. Ground cumin (geera)
    1 tsp yeast
    1/3-cup warm water
    ¼ tsp. Sugar
    Oil for frying
    Additional water

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, saffron and cumin (geera). Put aside.

In another bowl place warm water, sugar and yeast. Let sit for about 5 min. until the yeast and sugar are dissolved.

Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture with enough water to make slightly firm dough. Mix well.

Cover and let rise for about 1-½ hours. Punch the dough down and let it sit for another 10 – 15 min.

To shape Bara, take about 1 tbsp of dough, pat with both hands to flatten to a 5” circle. If dough sticks to hands, moisten fingers and palms with some water.

Fry in hot oil, turning once until cooked. Remove and drain on a paper towel.

Channa Filling

½ lb dried channa (chick peas) soaked overnight
    1 ½ tbsp. Curry powder
    3 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
    1 onion (sliced)
    Salt to taste
    Hot pepper to taste
    1 tbsp. Corn oil
    Pinch of ground geera (cumin powder)
    Pepper Sauce (to taste)

Boil soaked channa (chick peas) with salt and ½ tbsp curry powder until channa is tender. Drain.

Mix 1 tbsp curry powder with ¼ cup water.
    (I retain & use some of the water the channa cooked in, makes for a nicer thicker gravy)

Heat oil in a large skillet and add the garlic, onion, and curry powder mixture. Sauté for a few minutes til onions are soft.

Add the channa & stir to coat well with the curry mixture. Saute cook for about 6-8 min to blend seasonings.

Add 1-cup water, geera (cumin), salt, and pepper.

Cover, lower heat and let simmer until the peas are very soft and moist, but not mushy. Add more salt if needed, and add water if needed to keep a nice gravy goin as the channa cooks down soft.

Finishing – Putting the two together

Put a few tbsp. cooked channa on a bara; cover with another bara, and wrap them in half around one another.

you can also add hot peppa sauce, and mango or tamarind chutney, before putting the second Bara on top.

~ ~ ~ ~ Enjoy! ~ ~ ~ ~

And just make sure you have plenny napkins on hand cause you aggoh need dem!
    Fear is the lock, and laughter the key to your heart.

thanks sis...

it was nice to get these at all the street stands...
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...