• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandma...

Grandma...

Hi [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!

Just dropping by to say that I had the sorrel made with grape juice instead of wine and I liked it. It was tangy, but good. Of course, it helped that someone else tried the recipe and not me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Thanks again G2.

Oh, here's a chick pea/channa recipe you might like (don't know if I posted this before):

<u>Curried Channa</u> - this is not the Guyanese method of preparing. This is just the method I use [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

*1-3 cans of chick peas (depending on the # of people you're cooking for; you could use the unprocessed ones, but I'm lazy)
    *chopped onions, garlic
    *season salt
    *black pepper
    *curry powder
    *thyme leaves
    *I also add a packet of the Goya season (the one in the red/orange box - forgot the name).

Directions
    sautee chopped seasonings. Next, add about 1/2 to 1 cup water to pot and add chick peas. Season to taste. Let pot simmer (stirring occasionally). Serve over rice (brown, white, fried, rice &amp; peas) or as a side dish. Enjoy!!
    boat drinks! ~ "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"

Re: Grandma...

Is Chick peas the same as split peas?

Your recipé (except for the curry) sounds a lot like the split peas dahl my mother used to make.
    Yahdie tuh die bone!

Chick peas an split peas are 2 different things.

Chick peas are also known as Garbanzo(sp?) beans and are the main ingredient in hummous. They are large and yellowish in color.

Split peas are small dried and flat on one side. Mostly greenish in color.

Hey Yahdie, Q.K.

Yeah chick peas are also called garbanzo peas. I believe channa is a Guyanese term, but I'm not sure on that one.

I forgot to add the following seasonings (and they can make such a big difference too):

*onion powder
    *garlic powder
    *hot (scotch bonnit) pepper and pimiento are entirely optional.

Thanks, I bought yellow split peas yesterday and will be making it today.

The ones I bought are called Channa Dal. There were also some little flat ones like the ones QK described, but they didn't look like the ones I knew in Jamaica, so I dinn't buy those.

Boy, I am already anticipating today's dinner.

Thanks for the recipè. I haven't eaten this in years.
    Yahdie tuh die bone!

Another question.

Do you have a recipé for Mango Dahl?

This was the one my mother used to curry.
    Yahdie tuh die bone!

I've never made it, but here's a recipe that you could try. It may not taste like Mom's though (nothing ever does for me). If you try it, I hope you love it!! Mangoes are not that easy to come by where I live right now, so this would be going out on a limb for me.

Recipe:
    Banaras Yellow Lentils with Peppered Mango Slices (Banarasi Arhar Dahl
    Ingredients (dahl)

1½ cups yellow and/or red lentils (toor and/or masar dahl)
    ½ teaspoon tumeric (haldi)
    1½ teaspoons salt
    4½ cups water (paani)
    Ingredients (masala)
    5 tablespoons vegetable oil (or usli ghee)
    1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    ¼ cups finely chopped, fresh coriander
    1 small mango, peeled, pitted, &amp; sliced

Preparation
    pick clean &amp; wash the lentils, add tumeric &amp; salt, and cook until soft; heat oil in skillet when very hot, add cumin seeds, and count to 10 while stirring; add mango slices, cook until slightly soft; add cayenne &amp; garam masala, cook another minute; pour over lentils and stir in half the coriander and serve garnished with the other half over rice or roti.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is taken from the best Indian cookbook I've found, Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking (Morrow Cookbooks, 1985). Use a hard green mango if you can get it, but they're hard to find in North America as most people here aren't accustomed to cooking with them.

[/ QUOTE ] Original recipe poster's quote.

Thanks Ephra. The mango won't be a problem. It seems that all the mangoes I find here are either fully green or just starting to turn an I actually like it better when the mangoes are starting to turn and have that slightly sweet taste and contrast nicely with the other ingredients than when they are fully green and are more sour.

Yesterday I made the split peas dal as a side dish to curry chicken and roti. I had to explain to my family what a roti was. They were at first sceptical, but it was a great success.

Thanks again. I can't wait to try them with the mango dal.
    Yahdie tuh die bone!

(((ephra))) darling how yu doin, girl mi long fi see yu till mi short...tanks fi de present yu bring mi girl [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] mi goin to try it tiday tiday

yu knoh mi rite yu one hellova sinting lass nite an de puter kick mi off [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70394-bawlout.gif[/img] caw mi was not ignoring yu but from Friday lass nite was de fuss mi get fi post sinting an ****BAM**** it kick mi off again,cha [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif[/img]

so girl weh yu been wat yu been up to [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hey G2! Been busy. My motto right now is 'life happens', and it sure is happening, hence my lack of posting [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

That's why I try not to do the long posts, esp. before the board was updated. I kept getting kicked off [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Glad to see you're back though, and in fine spirits [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70371-jump.gif[/img]

if you tried the dish, hope you liked it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].