• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Recipe needed-- Mac and Cheese

Red loves homemade macaroni and cheese. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am used to the kind in a box with powdered cheese, it is one of my favorite foods. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] However, Red wants it the way his mother makes it, baked in the oven, cripsy along the edges and super dee duper cheesy.

Does anyone have a recipe? I have looked on the food network website, but they all seem kind of boring.

Re: Recipe needed-- Mac and Cheese

Don't ask me about the amount of macaroni to use or an exact recipe, but here's what I do and it comes out great!

Macaroni, barely cooked and drained
    1 big pack (2 lbs) of Velveeta cheese
    1 yellow onion, grated finely
    little olive oil
    milk

In saucepan, saute onions until just barely soft in olive oil. Add some milk to pan. Add Velveeta and stir over heat until melted. Watch it carefully - it doesn't have to melt all the way.

Add to cooked macaroni. Lighthly spray oblong pyrex dish with cooking spray. Cover with foil. Put in pre-heated 350 oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for another 10 minutes.

Boundie try this- prepare ( as per the instructions on the box) the macaroni and cheese dinner that you like, but add one beaten egg and a little more milk, say a half a cup, and put in a buttered dish and sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and bake until the crumbs are brown. It comes out just like it was prepared from the original way
    Let me use my head and not my heart

I love me so Mac, too! I can eat it breakfast, lunch, and dinner, everyday. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70377-loveeyes.gif[/img] I'm do not measure.

1 lg bag of elbow noodles
    1 8oz container of sour cream
    1 lg container of Velveeta
    1 lg bag of shreded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup of can milk
    1/2 stick of margine/butter

Optional:
    1 can of Rotel tomatoes (spicy)

Cook noodles as directed on package. When done, mix hot noodles with Velveeta cheese, butter,sour cream, milk, and shredded cheese (1/2 of the bag). Season to taste. Heat oven 350 degrees. I usually butter/margine coat the bottom the cassarole dish. After pouring in the mixture, I top it with the rest of the cheddar cheese, then bake for about 30 minutes.

Wow! Lots of great things to try. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70371-jump.gif[/img] Thank you. I will let you know when I make it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mi scopy offa u recipe dem [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] caw mi did have one last-minute potluck and mi tiad fi cook curry chicken. Mi use a combination of di 2 recipe dem and it nice sutill. is a pity it add to mi wasteline or meeda dweet more often but at least now mi can say mi know how fi cook a mean mac and cheese.

thanks boundie fi asking di question and di 2 a oonu fi save mi from a disastrous potluck entry [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70371-jump.gif[/img]

Boundie
    I'm kinda late with this but here is a recipe I use alot, a little more involved but is mmmmm-mmmmm good [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MAKES:4 to 6 servings
    PREP: 15 minutes
    COOK: 40 minutes

1 (8-ounce) package dried elbow macaroni or favorite pasta (about 2 1/4 cups,uncooked)
    1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
    2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
    Toppings (optional):
    1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn heat to medium; gradually whisk in milk, and cook over medium heat, stirring or whisking constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in pasta, mustard, and next 4 ingredients, stirring just until cheese begins to melt.

3. Pour pasta mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano or more Cheddar. If desired, top with fresh breadcrumbs, and drizzle evenly with melted butter.

4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
    ......The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham