• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black cake recipe, please

anybody have a tried and true recipe for black cake (Christmas cake)? I have no confidence in the one mi find on the home page (after much searching).

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/70367-help.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70367-help.gif[/img]
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Re: Black cake recipe, please

I'm looking for the same thing.

I've found a bunch, but me prefer my own.

k, here is a few I found:

Ingredients
    1 pound. butter
    4 cups flour (sifted 4 times)
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dark sugar
    3 tablespoons browning
    1 1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup Jamaican white rum
    2 cups port wine
    8 eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 cup cherry diced
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon rose water
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 teaspoon. almond essence
    2 ounces dried papaya (chopped)
    1/2 cup chopped dates

Directions
    Place chopped fruits, raisins, cherries, dates in a saucepan and cover with port wine.
    Heat over stove until raisins are slightly puffed. Allow to cool and stand in a refrigerator for at least one day.
    Drain wine from fruits. Combine with rum to make 1/2 cup. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and both sugars add eggs, nutmeg, vanilla and cloves.
    Mix together with flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add browning, then rum and wine.
    Add in prepared fruits, almond essence, rose water. Line bottom of baking pans with wax paper.
    Use butter to grease paper and inside of pan. Then lightly dust with flour. Place cake mixture into prepared baking pans.
    Bake at 325 to 350 degrees until a pick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

Baking time: 1 1/4 hrs
    Serves: 8
    Submitted by:

the above is closest to how my mother taught me to make it-- I dont use dates and papaya and the wine I use is red label
    __________________________________________________ _______
    JAMAICAN FRUIT CAKE

3 c. flour
    3 c. sugar (brown)
    2 lbs. butter
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1 dozen eggs.
    1/2 lb. mixed fruits
    1/2 lb. raisins
    2 tbsp. rum
    1/2 c. wine
    1/2 c. molasses
    1 tbsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. mixed spice

Cream butter and sugar. Beat eggs thoroughly; add to the creamed butter and sugar. Add flour 1 cup at a time (sift flour). Add baking powder and salt. Stir in fruit, rum, wine and molasses until you get a smooth paste. Bake 350 degrees.

__________________________________________________ ____

JAMAICAN SPICE CAKE

1 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    3 eggs
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ginger
    1/2 tsp. allspice
    1/3 c. dark rum
    1/2 c. molasses
    2 c. unsifted flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter in bowl. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice. Combine rum and molasses. Add flour alternately with the rum mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well until batter is very smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, cool 10 minutes.

__________________________________________________ ______

Jamaican Rum Cake

1 lb butter or margarine, softened

1 lb dark brown sugar

1 dozen eggs

1 lb flour

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp burnt sugar (found in Caribbean markets)

cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

2 cups fruit mixture (recipe follows)

rum

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale yellow. Add 2 eggs at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and burnt sugar. In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add slowly to the large bowl, mixing well. The batter will be very heavy. Add about 2 cups of the fruit mixture (more or less according

to taste). Mix well. Pour into well greased and floured cake tins. Bake at 350 degrees for about an 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Once the cake is cooled (do not remove it from the tin), pour approximately 1/4 cup of rum over it. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Check the cake every 2 to 3 days. If it becomes dry, add some more rum. Continue in this manner for 1 month. (You might not have to add any rum to it after 2 weeks, but keep checking it.)

Fruit Mixture
    1 lb prunes

1 lb raisins

1 lb currants

1 lb cherries

Chop in blender or food processor all ingredients. Put into a jar which can be tightly sealed. Cover the contents

with rum and seal the jar. Keep in a cool, dark place. This should be done at least 1 month in advance of the cake.

Wonderful! Thanks so much, Donnika. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70371-jump.gif[/img]

You're welcome. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The last recipe also looks close to what I'm used to making. I love prunes but can't stand the cherries.

yeah, is the last one i'm going to try, although the dozen eggs are giving me pause... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

u can use 9 if 12 is too much for u. the eggs add to the texture of the cake. make sure u mix/beat out the sugar and the butter until smoothe and fluffy because that's also texture you're dealing with

i've decided to make a half recipe.

mi buy some port wine last night, and pour it on top a di fruit (mi did already put some rum pon dem).

this weekend mi a go try grind up di fruit dem again, and hope dem no gum up di blender like last time.

wha mek yuh neva go lcbo go buy di red-label wine and white rum like me suggested hereso ?

unno know say mi dont like to hear unno call the cake black cake ... it name fruit cake aka chrismas pudding or cake ... now mi have the fruits soaking good likkle while now ... I dont buy the red label anymore I just get a bottle of cals bulk wine for baking and then mi use mr wray and him nephew white overproof rum fi fix it up (mi cake drunk off mi sister already). the last recipe that donnika give is closest to mine except mi use bread crumbs in mine and not so many eggs ...

mi can sell u one and some sorrel (the sorrel make in concentrated form)