• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Arlo's wild west show....

...'so "turd" wasn't good enough, eh?' he said, (in reference to a comment in another thread earlier that morning) ...ok,...note to self: "roll with it, ...dude" ....here's previews of "Arlo" in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Ariz. ...

Arlo in Albuquerkie motel room...

...outside Santa Rosa...ahhh!....the first evening away from the rainy N.W....

various New Mexican political statements...

architecture...

...trade and commerce ...

...religion...

...and wildlife!

...stressed out about Xmas?....join me!...(post encouraging comments!)....or discouraging ones!...anything but Xmas [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Yeah, but i didn't know what i didn't know.

Re: Arlo's wild west show....

ok this is pretty cool...didja build it yourself?

btw...MAKE YOUR BED!!!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

no Loops...only god could drop a pile like that...and only god could get me to make my bed... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

...here goes,...beginning at the beginning... Reasons for the trip: credit still left on visa...post-tramatic Xmas stress disorder...major climatic changes in the pacific northwest leading to light depravation and major depression....visiting the only family member I like (aunt)...and a few other things to boot...

escaping clouds over the N.W.

...to clear skies over New Mexico...

...arriving in Albuquerque, we headed east to Santa Rosa to see if we could find the spot where, at age two, LB bounced down the road after a drunk doing about 110mph hit their family van [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]....she kinda wanted to put a few things to rest. We were going to see if any old news articles from the area still existed. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] We found this abandoned building...

...the local library had microfilmed articles but nothing about the accident. So...I took a picture of this building across from the library...kinda sums up the general attitude around these parts, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif[/img] (car parked by fire hydrant, on corner, in front of city hall)

...Route 66 where the accident took place is now a freeway...I took a picture of a milepost near where we thought it might be...and then watched the sun set as we headed north toward the old town of Las Vegas, NM, where characters like Butch Cassidy and Doc Holiday used to hang out in the Plaza Hotel.

...Plaza Hotel in morning..."big stop" on the old Sante Fe trail...

...old town plaza where General Kearney marched in one day and proclaimed that the U.S. was now taking control of the territory from the Mexicans and Natives....you know, "what's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine"...a simple political philosophy...

...check out the signs on this building [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]...a spirit of cooperation and peace pervades the area... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] ...cuz there really are no resources to fight over...New Mexico is the third poorest state...little water, poor conditions, and cultural diversity that makes it interesting and fun...

...from Las Vegas NM we headed northwest toward the Sangre De Christo Mtns. (blood of christ), and over toward Taos, where my aunt, the starving artist, lives. Before we left town, we stopped at a store for sunglasses and chocolate, and had a conversation with a guy named Carlos. He owned a local restaurant named "Mary Ann's" (which happened to be my grandmother's name!)...Carlos went to his truck and brought us two hot, fresh sausage breakfast burritos for the road, and told us to stop by if we got back this way. MMMM...good!!!
    ...on the way...

...arriving at the old town plaza in Taos on the other side of the mountains...merchants were hurting for business...

...about 15 miles north is my aunt's place in Arroyo Seco, on the rim of a canyon...

LB enchanted by stories my aunt tells, as we kick back after dark (early...we were in bed by 8)

...view of the canyon below...

...the kitchen...after eating green chile stew and quesadillas...and drinking "taos cow" brand coffee...