• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Egypt

test

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck

Re: Egypt

Wow! It's happened, 3rd time I tried, had lots of problems with staying logged in to the website and uploading photos!

Anyway, in July they were practically giving away trips to Egypt - no-one going since the revolution - and as it had always been on our to-do list and my son off to uni in August, we went for it!!

That photo is the sun rising over the East bank (we went on a balloon trip over the Nile!)

This one is Luxor Temple at night:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck

Temple at karnak - the biggest Temple complex in the world, we went for the Sound and Light show (recognised Zoe Wannamaker's voice, great English actress)

Colossi of Memnon

You can see how huge they are with my son standing there!

They are the the sentinals to the entry to the Valley of the kings

the balloons!

not the best photo!

Anyway, you're not allowed to take any photos in the valley of the kings, but I'm sure you can find them on internet, we went into 3 tombs, need I say they were absolutely amazing, and a steep incline down

(by the way my cay and dot keys have given up on my computer so I need to copy and paste so bear with the occasional bad grammer, ie capital letters, as in Valley of the kings!)

My son was already hanging out with the guys on the boat down on the river - we had a hotel on the Nile - and we went off on a lovely trip, across the river to a nice cafe

The Egyptians are SO nice and friendly, and of course thrilled that we were there as tourism was really down, but great time to go to avoid the crowds!!

lovely scenes down the river, the kids bathing (wouldn't catch us westerners in that river LOL) but the crocs are way past Aswan!

Of course we wanted to go to Cairo, but the prices from the official tour company were the same as a week would be from here, till we met a guy in the hotel who could give it to us for half the price! So we went for it of course! A whole day by plane (1 hour), early start - 5 am till midnight there and back and so worth it, the whole thing perfectly organised, guide, van, pyramids, sphynx, lunch, museum - Tuthenkhamen! - market on a nice square in Central Cairo with terrace cafes for dinner before returning to the airport - the traffic in Cairo is horrendous!!! Huge population and most have a car!!!

Before the revolution in high season there would be around 5000 tourists a day here!