• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Ganonoque, Ontario

On the recommendation of a friend, I took the almost three-hour drive out to this small town, population of about 5,100 (2011). I love the intimacy of small towns and yes, more times than not there is not much to see scenically, but I tend to find the small-town historicity appealing. I don't know why because I didn't particular care for history during my high school years. Anyways, on this particular Fall morning, with camera in tow, I took a walk around the waterfront.

aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

Administrator
    Ganonoque is an aboriginal name meaning "town on two rivers." The town is referred to as the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands," and is also the western terminus of the Thousand Islands Parkway, and a short drive from the Thousand Islands Bridge, which crosses into the United States as Interstate 81.

Soap Company...

~ Anon

Gananoque looks like a nice little town that's just right for a quiet weekend visit.
    Did you visit the castle?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SandiF View Post
    Gananoque looks like a nice little town that's just right for a quiet weekend visit.
    Did you visit the castle?
    You said it well - it is just right for that weekend hiatus. I overnighted it there (I did the Motown dinner cruise) and regretted that I had not booked for the weekend. Quiet and relaxing are words that come to mind when I think of Ganonoque.

As for the castle, no, I did not do the visit on this trip. I have read mixed reviews but do plan on checking it for myself next summer, all things being well.

~ Anon

Administrator

~ Anon

Administrator

~ Anon

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    There is polo in the areas too. I've been invited but I've never been. Didn't realize that you loved the charm of small towns. I guess we have one thing in common after all.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
    There is polo in the areas too. I've been invited but I've never been. Didn't realize that you loved the charm of small towns. I guess we have one thing in common after all.
    We may actually have more than one. One can tell very about another person from superficial cyber interaction.

I recall you are passionate about polo so I'm a tad surprised you passed up going out east to play/watch.

~ Anon

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    Why drive all that way when there is a polo club 15 minutes away from me. In fact, I used to live a 3 minute drive away from there.

Do you like Niagara-on-the-Lake and Port Carling? How about Port Hope?

I used to have a friend I went to small towns with but he got married. I used to also do these treks with my son. Now I have no company as my son is hardly home.
    Last edited by Tropicana; 12-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.

what i love about gananoque is the pronunciation: ga-na-nock-way
    so unexpected and musical :dancing:
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>