• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1000 Islands, A Spinoff from Diplomat's Report

It was the end of another grueling period at work and I was exhausted. I needed rest but in order to really rest, I needed to get away. I didn't feel like flying somewhere and sadly I really don't know much about the country I live in so I decided to do something in Ontario. I saw an ad in my mail for Gananoque and decided to check it out. I've heard about 1000 Islands before, wanted to go but never got around to it. I decided to go for it this time. I told my friend about it and we decided to take the 3.5 hours trip and check out these Islands.

The town relies on tourist coming in during the summer holidays so they do trick you into staying more than one day. Each hotel that I called offered great rates if you spend two nights or more so I decided on the two nights since I really needed the break.

I will try not to duplicate too many pics that Diplomat may have already posted from his visit.

Summer 312.jpg
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Compry View Post

I will try not to duplicate too many pics that Diplomat may have already posted from his visit.
    No dupes so far.
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    No dupes so far.
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Soon come.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

We arrived just in time to take the 2 hour tour. It was an overcast day, nevertheless, we decided to go for the "two hour tour".

Summer 201.jpg

Summer 207.jpg

Summer 209.jpg

I was excited about the adventure ahead. Were there really 1000 Islands on this lake? I was eager to discover. Turned out I got tired of clicking the camera trying to capture each Island. One notable thing to mention, in the midst of passing hundreds of Islands, we passed one that had a JAMAICAN flag flying in the wind. I was so stunned that I forgot to snap a picture so I decided on the route back I would take the pic. No such luck as the boat took another route back. Sigh. We are everywhere. Even in Gananoque. Note, there's a house on most of the Islands. Electricity, phone service, etc is transported via cables under water.

Summer 224.jpg

Summer 226.jpg

Summer 228.jpg

Summer 231.jpg

Summer 233.jpg

The bridge from Canada to the US

Summer 237.jpg

Many of these were spotted on the tour

Summer 222.jpg

Summer 234.jpg