• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Good stuff! Some of these pics remind me of places I saw when I did the Scugog Boat Cruise in Port Perry.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
    Good stuff! Some of these pics remind me of places I saw when I did the Scugog Boat Cruise in Port Perry.
    I have never been to Port Perry. This is one of the reason why I decided to spend more time discovering Ontario. There is so much beauty right here in our own backyard.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Heading towards the castle. We opted not to do the castle tour because it looked like it was going to rain and sure enough it did.

Summer 247.jpg
    Summer 248.jpg
    Summer 253.jpg
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

HISTORY OF BOLDT CASTLE

At the turn-of-the-century, George, C. Boldt, millionaire proprietor of the world famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, set out to build a full size Rhineland Castle in Alexandria Bay, on Picturesque Heart Island. The grandiose structure was to be a display of his love for his wife, Louise.
    Beginning in 1900, Boldt`s family shared four glorious summers on the island in the Alster Tower while 300 workers fashioned the six story, 120 room castle, complete with tunnels, a powerhouse, Italian gardens, a drawbridge, and a dovecote. Not a single detail or expense was spared.
    In 1904, tragedy struck. Boldt telegrammed the island and commanded the workers to immediately "stop all construction". Louise had died suddenly. A broken hearted Boldt could not imagine his dream castle without his beloved. Boldt never returned to the island, leaving behind the structure as a monument of his love.

For 73 years, the castle and various stone structures were left to the mercy of the wind, rain, ice, snow and vandals. When the 1000 Islands Bridge Authority acquired the property in 1977, it was decided that through the use of all net revenues from the Castle operation it would be preserved for the enjoyment of future generations.

Since 1977, several million dollars have been applied to rehabilitating, restoring and improving the magnificent Heart Island structures.

Summer 261.jpg

Summer 262.jpg

Summer 263.jpg

Summer 270.jpg

World's shortest border crossing

Summer 277.jpg

Summer 279.jpg

Nice shots! Beautiful part of Canada/U.S.A..