• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The other Las Vegas

No, not that Las Vegas. The original one ... in New Mexico.

I am on a one week trip to visit some friends from grad school who live in the highlands of New Mexico. They live in the small town of Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de Las Vegas Grandes or for short, Las Vegas, a town established in the U.S. southwest by land grant in 1835. From the town's website, I've learned that the history of Las Vegas is influenced not only by many different cultures, but also by two major forms of transportation; the railroad and the automobile. As a major trading point on the Santa Fe Trail, Las Vegas became a prosperous town. As trade on the trail increased, so did the variety of settlers in the town. Unlike any other town in New Mexico, Las Vegas is home to a number of beautiful Victorian homes and buildings. With over 900 buildings on the historical register I was in for a treat

My friends live in the old section of the town very close to the plaza. Like many Spanish-influenced cities, each town has a big square in the center called The Plaza. I went out for a walk to and around the plaza this afternoon. I went out by myself, a camera, a phone, and my friends' dog, Panda

First of all, you must understand these are the highlands so the temperatures are quite cool for April. The air is also extremely dry and is very windy. I feel like I'm in some kind of western movie -- in fact, my friends informed me that some big names were in town to film a western movie about Wyoming, of all places. The little town of Las Vegas has original buildings of an old western town and that is why they are filming here. Some big names in Hollywood are here now including Tommy Lee Jones, Stephen Speilberg, Meryl Streep. Tommy Lee Jones is directing or producing the movie and he is around town all the time. I have not yet spotted him

Coming with some photos of the town soon.
    Last edited by Peasie; 04-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Up here in the highlands, it is very windy and dry and cool. Everything looks bone dry and there is a drought with water restrictions. Everything is brown. In fact, if you see any green in the town, it is fake grass. Like in some of these photos I took around the university.

Las Vegas is home of the New Mexico Highlands University which I passed on my walk this afternoon.

Walking through the campus I saw some flags surrounding their Alumni Tower. Of course, we are represented

Today we hiked the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge. From their website "With the Rocky Mountains to the
    west, the Great Plains to the east, and the Chihuahuan Desert to the south, Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge encompasses a diversity of habitats. Located along the Central Flyway, the Refuge provides an important resting, feeding, and wintering area for migrating geese, ducks, and cranes."

We saw hawks and some birds that make mud nests in rock formations. The drought has dried up several large lakes in the area, so with a park permit from the park ranger, the three of us - my friend, her son, and me - went out to hike down a canyon. It was another sunny and windy day...

Incredible skies over us, we were the only ones on the trail for miles and miles around.

the place look dry like my backyard

long sleeves? it cold there? never mind i went back and read your first post
    Last edited by CeaBee; 04-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Yes. Las Vegas, New Mexico, is very windy and we were cool. We had on t-shirts under our jackets and when we got warm on the trail, we took offf our jackets. But once we were still, it got cool again. My friend, Pat, bought burritos for our lunch from a local place. Here we are looking up at some petroglyphs on the rocks.

More scenes from the highlands of New Mexico. I took these with my Nikon Coolpix.

On the way down to the canyon

A sense of the path