• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

one day layover in London...what to do?

Not so much what to do, but what to see and not end up spending too much on the 1 day.

I was thinking of doing a tour bus sightseeing tour but ... tourist buses aren't my deal.

For those who have been to London, whether on business or pleasure, pls share some low-budget venues that are worth seeing. What about the food? Bus? Rail? What to expect... day passes on public transport? I'd rather foot it around town.

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    Once I only had an evening so I booked a taxi tour...the hotel arranged it for me. was a few weeks after the London bombings. The last place that I wanted to be but I am glad I did it.

The driver took me all over the place and we were able to get up close to some of the things you can only see from a distance in the day. If the driver is knowledgeable, you can learn a lot. It

Thanks, Tropicana. Very much appreciated! This sounds like a good way to go about.. How long did the tour last for?

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
    Once I only had an evening so I booked a taxi tour...the hotel arranged it for me. was a few weeks after the London bombings. The last place that I wanted to be but I am glad I did it.

The driver took me all over the place and we were able to get up close to some of the things you can only see from a distance in the day. If the driver is knowledgeable, you can learn a lot. It

Hmmm I think it was 3 or 4 hours. It was perfect for me as I didn't even get to the hotel till 5 PM. I had time to shower, nap, have lunch and then head out. It was a truly memorable excursion and a great way to see London.

Do you know that after a certain hour police cars surround Buckingham Palace? I didn't.

Sounds perfect... I just need 4 hrs to venture out and see the city. I haven't made hotel arrangements and don't want to be far from Heathrow. Is Heathrow further out from London proper?

I don't specifically remember how long it took but on that trip as it was a short layover, I stayed overnight near Heathrow too and the taxi tour was perfect. It was the hotel that suggested it when I told them my stay was short. I can't recall the cost. Something like 100 - 200 pounds but it was worth it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SandiF View Post
    Not so much what to do, but what to see and not end up spending too much on the 1 day.

I was thinking of doing a tour bus sightseeing tour but ... tourist buses aren't my deal.

For those who have been to London, whether on business or pleasure, pls share some low-budget venues that are worth seeing. What about the food? Bus? Rail? What to expect... day passes on public transport? I'd rather foot it around town.
    we had one day in london and did one of those hop on hop off bus tours. I think the loop if you stayed on the bus was about 2.5 hours but if you got off another bus would come by in 20 minutes. We were staying at Paddington.

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/tour-...our-routes.htm
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

Administrator
    Have a great trip. I hope we can get to see some pics.

BTW, this thread gives me a good idea. Mek a go post my question up top.
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

if i had only one day ever in London I would go to the British Museum in Russell Square....i know all the greats went there Mandela, tutu, Selassie, Garvey, lenin,

My favourite resturant is Santa Marta Del Sur in Batersea.... an argentine steak restaurant....there is a waiting list so u have to check availability... if u go to a resturant more than once in london then u like it, i have been there 5 times

or Como Lario's a Italian sardinian resturant in Pimlico....it is difficult to get a reservation at times there..alot of polticians have dinner there. the secret is to lie and say u work for ENI....(that is a Italian company down the road from them....) they have white truffles... ask for the Risotto with white truffles as a starter....that has teh wow factor not the linguine... if u are an attractive lady the waiters are itlaians men..nuff said...

For a cheap good meal there is a columbian resturant at the elephant and castle,,,,
    y
    Last edited by Wahalla; 06-18-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

I had a great time in London. I didnt saw the highlights but spent the day with my friend and her family.
    Had a wonderful time. Right now in Barcelona. Istanbul...still on the agenda even tho everyone aating don't go. Will see how it goed